Not WHO, but WHAT do you want the new manager to have on their CV?

So leaving aside rumours of who might be appointed, and never mind your favoured candidate.

If you had to set the criteria by which applicants are assessed ...

what things (from 3 to 5-ish) would you want to see on the new managers CV?

If possible, ranked in priority order.

Comments

• I'd go with

1. Managerial experience in the PL.
    2. A sustained period of at least 2 transfer windows with the same club.
    3. Good (later to be more precisely defined) win % in PL (ignore any tin pot league results).
    4. Speaks English to a reasonable level (B1 at least)
    5. Experience with ;diva players.

I don't care about age/playing the kids/if they've been sacked or not.

(Still thinking about it, but that's my criteria at the moment.)
  • edited November 2017
    My two bobs worth
    Be able to motivate players
    Have tactical awareness,, including a plan b
    Play attractive football
    And the will to win
  • Mrs G is 5 experience with the ladies team.
  • 1. On an upwards career trajectory (as opposed to coming off the back of recent failures)
    2. Goes to incredible levels of detail in every respect both and off the field
    3. When faced with limited transfer funds can have a sixth sense for picking out previously less well known names and making successes of them in the Prem
    4. Give our most decent young prospects decent runs in the side
    5. Starts from a solid defensive platform
  • I would like him to have the name Guardiola at the top of his cv.
  • Only if he has lots of zeros at the end of his transfer budget
  • edited November 2017
    Wombat
    Having a name is good one ;ok
    The is a lot people who forgets to there name on the test sheet
  • All of the above but most of all I'd like there to be a few trophies that he won elsewhere on his CV.
    Sure,we don't support WHU because we expect to win things but it would make a nice change wouldn't it? I was 15 in 1980,I'm now 53 & without being morbid I want to see us win something again before I die!
  • 1. Some managerial experience in a top league.
    2. Tries to get the team to play entertaining football.
    3. Speaks English
    4. In the past hasn’t signed Fellaini
    5. Hasn’t signed Fellaini TWICE!
  • 1) a recent period of success (within last 3 years)
    2) experience managing in a top division (preferably the PL but not only)
    3) has proven record of making teams hard-working
    4) has proven record of turning a club in a mess into something resembling a football team
    5) well respected in the game
  • Lurkers, good points rules out our new alleged man straight away
  • Not to include any of the following letters in his name....

DMOYE
  • Well Lukerz, that list just about rules out your previous list of preferred Bilic replacements. ;lol
  • 1. On an upwards career trajectory (as opposed to coming off the back of recent failures)
    2. Goes to incredible levels of detail in every respect both and off the field
    3. When faced with limited transfer funds can have a sixth sense for picking out previously less well known names and making successes of them in the Prem
    4. Give our most decent young prospects decent runs in the side
    5. Starts from a solid defensive platform

Sound just like Spurs boss to me
  • The crux for me is I would not make PL experience a pre-requisite. Because all you will get is the same names being banded about who will likely turn us down. Rather someone with the right qualities and recent track record over someone who has pl experience but has failed in recent roles.
  • Sorts out the defence
    A man who insists on 100% fitness and effort
    Must chew gum
    ;wink
  • 1. Proven history of development of players from development squad to first team.
    2. Experience of managing good players but who are currently not a team
    3. High level of interest and understanding of up to date sport science information
    4. Must have a plan of how he wants the team to play and the strength of character to sell/drop current players who do not fit the style
  • 1. I’m not a poorer choice than the one you had.
    2. I don’t mind the chairman interference
    3. I know the West Ham way
    4. I won’t sign Rooney
  • 1. Success at more than one club / more than one season (not a flavour of the month candidate)
    2. Will make us solid in defence
    3. History of bringing young players into the first team
    4. Experience of working within a top division
    5. Clearly identifiable 'philosophy', but willingness to adapt
  • edited November 2017
    There have been about 11 responses so far, out of a fanbase of tens of thousands.

This is a short summary of the most important things in a new manager from those responses, grouped into a few categories:

Experience:
    Working with difficult chairmen, working with Divas, longevity with a club, premier league experience, experience rebuilding a club, has won trophies.

Language:
    Can speak English

Philosophy:
    Has one, is defensively solid, is entertaining, is hard working, embraces sports science, is tactically aware, has a plan b

Success:
    Good win %in Premier League, long term success, recent success, repeated success, on an upward trajectory

Transfers:
    Use to limited funds

Youth:
    Will promote young players to the first team.

Now. I think that this highlights how tricky it is to please anyone, let alone everyone. Who is there who fits the criteria?
    We are looking for an experienced manager who has had long term experience in the premier league with multiple clubs, having won trophies.

Candidates must be confident with promoting youth players to the first team,
    identifying bargains, working with divas, and working with difficult chairman. A history of recent and long term success is required. Must play defensive, attacking football with hard working divas.

Good reputation is required.

Also must speak English.

Apply within.
  • edited November 2017
    Must play defensive, attacking football with hard working divas. ;lol

• edited November 2017
    Yep MrsGrey the WH way...
  • I don't quite understand the importance of speaking English (I'm assuming that is fluent English) - I think someone who can speak German, Spanish, French and Italian would be more useful. Any good Dutch managers out there?
  • No, but will Steve mclaren do?
  • Baracks, is Stevie Mc multi-lingual or does he just talk funny?
  • 1. Scottish
    2. Surname rhymes with buoys
    3. Look a little bit like Gollum
    4. Have initials DM
    5. Annoy everybody with his appointment

;whistle