Burnley (Away) 14th October 3pm (match thread)

Does anything sum up that game better than the awful mis-kick by Noble on the edge of our own box? Some of the simplest balls were misplaced and on a few occasions players literally stood still with the ball at their feet. It wasn't pretty but Bilic's subs worked for him and we've got the points.

We might need to improve.

So. Burnley?

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Hart
    Zabaleta - Reid - Fonte
    Antonio - Obiang - Kouyate - Masuaku
    Lanzini
    Chicharito - Sakho

Adrian, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Arnautovic, Ayew, Carroll
  • I agree with that team. I think Antonio playing wing-back is the only option and not so different to where he was playing today anyway.
  • Above everything else, Sakho must start this game
  • Away win. ;wahoo

Agree with Sakho starting ;thumbsup
  • Don't think Antonio is disciplined enough to play RWB.

Personally, I'd go:

Hart
    Fonte Reid Ogbonna
    Zaba Obiang/Rice Kouyate Masuaku
    Antonio Lanzini
    Sakho

Adrian, Collins, Cresswell, Noble, Arnautovic, Hernandez, Carroll
  • Very difficult game to negotiate. They don't concede and we don't score. Looks like a 0-0 all day long. We do have a good recent record against them. 4 wins and 2 draws in last 6 meetings.

I remember when we played the diamond there under Sam which worked. Maybe worth a thought?
  • Lukerz said:

Very difficult game to negotiate. They don't concede and we don't score.

Just to flesh that out a bit....

They've conceded in 4 of 6. Against WBA, Chelsea, Tottenham + Liverpool. CS against Palace + Huddersfield. They also scored in 4 of 6 (not against WBA or Huddersfield).

We've conceded in 4 of 7 (Man U, Spurs, Saints, Newcastle) and kept 3 clean sheets (WBA, Swansea, Huddersfield).

;hmm
  • Difficult team to pick

Think Arthur getting 2 assists in his last 2 sub appearance sis enough to displace Cresswell who's crossing, despite what the stats suggest, judt hasn't impressed me

Think Cresswell is the superior defender but as a LWB Masuaka is Fernandes more suited with his pace, energy and skill

Hart
    Fonte Reid Ogbonna
    Zaba Kouate Lanzini Masuaka
    Sakho Hernandez Antonio

Lanzini has to start imo even if it its in CM as Noble just hasn't been good enough....what he does is links the defence to the attack which we lack and while I'd like him further forward right now he is necessary a little deeper

Sakho needs to play and all 3 of our front line like to roam around so feel they can do this well unlike Carroll who lacks the pace to be down the wing one minute then in the box the next

Really hard to choose but I jut think we a real better with a back 3 and sadly some big players will have to miss out (Carroll, Arnie, Noble, Cresswell etc)

Also I'd put Obiang in for Kouyate if he's fit
  • edited October 2017
    MrsGrey said:

Lukerz said:

Very difficult game to negotiate. They don't concede and we don't score.

Just to flesh that out a bit....

They've conceded in 4 of 6. Against WBA, Chelsea, Tottenham + Liverpool. CS against Palace + Huddersfield. They also scored in 4 of 6 (not against WBA or Huddersfield).

We've conceded in 4 of 7 (Man U, Spurs, Saints, Newcastle) and kept 3 clean sheets (WBA, Swansea, Huddersfield).

;hmm
    But the levels of goals are different. They've played Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs (all away), only let in 4. We let in 7 in two games v Spurs and Utd. They let in one v WBA and the rest clean sheets.

I would say that's very solid.
  • Burnley looked quite good against Everton, although Everton were poor.

Away win ;wahoo
  • edited October 2017
    4 4 2 Diamond. make it so.
  • Reckon we’ll see:

Hart
    Zabaleta - Fonte - Reid - Cresswell
    Antonio - Noble - Kouyate - Masuaku
    Sakho - Carroll

Adrian, Ogbonna, Byram, Lanzini, Arnautovic, Ayew, Chicharito
  • Hart
    Reid Masuaku
    Antonio Lanzini
    + 6 others
  • Hart
    Fonte - Reid - Ogbonna
    Zaba - Noble - Kouyate - Cresswell
    Antonio - A striker - Lanzini

It doesn't matter which striker we start, they won't score, they'll get substituted after 60-70 minutes and whoever comes on scores or at least that seems to be the pattern.......
  • I think we definitely play better with three at the back, we look more solid and show a modicum of fluidity. I also would like us to play two up front. Despite being one of Big Andy`s biggest fans I would drop him to the bench and play Little Pea and Sakho. It is really hard fitting in our best 11 players, but I would like to see something like this:

.........................Hart.....................
    ...........Fonte......Reid.......Oggy.....
    Zabaleta...................................Masuaku
    ............Antonio...Obiang...Lanzini...........
    ..................Sakho......Hernandez...............

This may leave us a little light in terms of "muscle" in midfield and relegates Noble, Kouyate, Cresswell, Arnoutavic, Ayew and Carroll to the bench, but at least the above team would give us a little more mobility and energy. I also think this formation suits the players we have as cover. Any of the above subs plus Byram, Collins and Rice should be able to slot into the above formation without too much jiggery pokery.
    Disappointed in how we have "performed" this year, I think we have the best squad of players for many a year, it just hasn`t clicked yet. I`m also a big fan of Bilic, but if we keep under-performing the buck has to stop somewhere and Bilic (IMO) has dropped a number of rickets over the last year or so and needs to learn from his mistakes, he doesn`t always appear to (IMO).
    Still get excited before every game with that crazy mix of blind optimism and resigned pessimism. Going for a 3--1 win. Madness.
  • I would like to see:

Hart; Fonte Reid Ogbonna; Zabaleta Lanzini Kouyate Masuaku; Sakho Hernandez Antonio

I think that side is direct and aggressive, and, with Lanzini and Kouyate, has the ability to drive forward with the ball
  • Depending what happens in internationals might need to re-jig it all anyway guaranteed a few will pick up knocks in the last qualifying games for the World Cup.
  • Alderz, virtually same players as me, only difference is Kouyate in for Obiang, either would do, I just feel Obiang is a little more disciplined in what is a very attacking line up. Either way we should look to move the ball forwards quicker. Missed Lanzini big time, with him back in the side we should improve our ball retention and, as you say, drive forward with the ball. I still think we will end up having a half decent season, get all our best players on the pitch and in form we can still get top ten.
    My biggest "thing" with Bilic is he still doesn`t appear to have a favoured way of playing/formation. I wish he would have the courage to stick with his preferred system and pick the best available for that system. I thought he`d cracked it with the back three end of last season. Gawd knows why he`s tinkering again. No wonder we look so disjointed.
  • edited October 2017
    Madcap
    would like to see something like this:

So would I ;ok That looks like a very handy lineup. Good links between defence and attack and a striker pairing that ought to get a goal or two with all that back up; Antonio, Lanzini, Masuaka, Zabaleta ;wahoo ;scarf
  • Think the ‘Lanzini in midfield’ is actually a very good option. Allows him to be deeper and dictate play and be in the thick of it.

Hart
    Kouyate - Reid - Fonte
    Zabaleta - Lanzini - Obiang - Masuaku
    Antonio - Chicharito - Arnautovic

Adrian, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Ayew, Carroll, Sakho

;hmm
  • Madcap

would like to see something like this:

So would I ;ok That looks like a very handy lineup. Good links between defence and attack and a striker pairing that ought to get a goal or two with all that back up; Antonio, Lanzini, Masuaka, Zabaleta ;wahoo ;scarf

I like the look of that team. With a subs bench of:

Adrian, Cresswell, Rice, Kouyate, Noble, Carroll, Arnautovic.

That is a good team and bench with a lot of depth (players like Byram & Ayew wouldn't get into the match day squad with that team and youngsters like Martinez and Samuelson miss out who I would've loved to have included).
  • edited October 2017
    Away Burnley have beaten Chelsea (4th), beaten Everton (16th), drawn with Liverpool (7th) and drawn Spurs (3rd). At home they've lost to West Brom (10th), drawn with Huddersfield (11th) and beaten Palace (20th).

Away they've scored six and conceded four, at home they've scored one and conceded one.

A Jekyll and Hyde team
  • I wild say a really solid team and start to the season. Certainly going to be hard to beat
  • ;wahoo

David Gold‏Verified account @davidgold 1h1 hour ago

Just heard from Gary Lewin that as of today everyone is available for selection with the exception of James Collins and Don Quina. dg
  • ;pray

Fonte and ?Chicarito still to play.
  • Hart
    Fonte Reid Oggy
    Zab Kouyate Obiang Masuaku
    Lanzini
    Sakho Ickle pea
  • Big calls to make from slaven and some upset players methinks

Hart
    Fonte Reid oggy
    Zaba Kouyate Obiang Cresswell
    Antonio Hernandez Lanzini

That's what I think we will see

Personally:

Hart
    Kouyate Reid Fonte
    Zaba Obiang Lanzini Masuaka
    Antonio Sakho Arnautovic

Sub: Adrian, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Ayew, Carroll, Hernandez

Think it will take creative types to unlock Burnley so would like to see Lanzini, Arnautovic and Masuaka on the field as they have 'flair'
  • A Jekyll and Hyde team

Or a team who are better when playing away, who struggle at home when there is more onus on them to attack?

Sounds like another team in similar colours ...
This discussion has been closed.