West Brom vs West Ham - Saturday 16.09.17 3:00 Match Thread

edited September 2017 in Match Threads
Our next game see us take on the resolute Baggies riding in their usual mid table endeavors. West Ham face a West Brom who were soundly beaten 3-1 by Brighton.

Can the Hammers unlock the Baggies defence ? Can West Ham secure their first point or three away from home.

As with most West Ham vs West Brom games its usually a draw on the cards with a few goals either way.

Predictions ?
Line Up ?

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Ha! Nice and early, top job Yeold!

I sincerely hope you're still starting the match threads come May!
  • Are Lanzini and Noble back?
    Arnies suspension is surely finished

Hart
    Fonte Collins Reid
    Zaba Obiang Kouyate Cressy
    Antonio Carroll Hernandez

Sub: Adrian, Byram, Masuaka, ogbonna, Ayew, Arnie, Sakho

When Lanzini comes back I don't really know where he goes but he has to start, maybe for Chicarito as he isn't natural on the wings, it's also the position Arnautovic is most comfortable at

Nice to see lots of options though in such a short space of time
  • Hernandez on the left wing is such a waste, IMO, and yet hard to see how you leave Carroll out after last night.
  • An option would be to have Antonio at wing back, bring Lanzini in and play Carroll and Hernandez in a proper two. (I know Lanzini is injured)

Hart; Zabaleta Reid Collins; Antonio Obiang Kouyate Cresswell; Lanzini/Arnautovic; Hernandez Carroll
  • Antonio at wingback is as much a waste as Hernandez on the wing
  • I disagree pretty strongly on that. At right back, yes. But at wing back he gets forward just as much
  • Zab was a man possessed last night, I think Antonio would be a better WB in view of getting our best players on the pitch, but Antonio doesn't want to play WB..

Against a Pulis side I see no problem playing a setup exactly like we did yesterday, high balls and battling MF, get a draw 4p from 6.

Arnie should not start, totally wrong msg if he did imo.

Without going to 4at the back I would like a system with both AC & CH where CH is central.
  • When I go through our squad, the players that I want to have on the pitch as much as possible are:

Hart, Zabaleta, Reid, Cresswell, Obiang, Kouyate, Lanzini, Hernandez, Carroll, Antonio, Arnautovic.

Hart; Zabaleta Kouyate Reid; Antonio Obiang Lanzini Cresswell; Arnautovic; Hernandez Carroll? (3-4-1-2)

Hart; Zabaleta Kouyate Reid Cresswell; Antonio Obiang Lanzini Arnautovic; Hernandez Carroll? (4-4-2)

If I try and put them into a formation, I struggle to get something that works and is balanced. So then it's a case of do I drop one of those, or do I try to make it work. I think the two I'm most likely to be willing to move out of the team are Arnautovic and Carroll.
  • I wonder if we could do something along the lines of:

-Obiang-Kouyate-
    -Antonio-Lanzini-Hernandez
    -Carroll-

With the caveat that Hernandez is effectively central or very close to Carroll whenever we are attacking, with Cresswell providing width on the left.

And then, when defending, Lanzini is the one who slots in to support Cresswell on the left, rather than ending up with Hernandez in the LB spot when there's a chance for a quick counter.

It seemed as though we kind of did this last night, but potentially Hernandez got stuck out wide more than he should have been.
  • Sometimes we can get a bit fixated on terminology, we could very well play Antonio on the right hand side as a genuine right mid and then, in an aggressive high pressing team, if he needs to drop in to make a back 4/5 he can easily do so but when we regain the ball he is a position to attack the final third and there would be plenty of cover for him to do so.

--------------------HART-----------------------------
    -----------FONTE----REID----COLLINS------------------
    ---ANTONIO----KOUYATE--LANZINI--OBIANG--CRESSWELL--
    --------------HERNANDEZ--CARROLL--------------------

I think we all know how WBA will play; they will concede possession, play on the break and off set pieces and mistakes. We will need a strong aerial side, a good shape and I think having a genuine 2 up front would cause them a lot of issues.
  • edited September 2017
    So that we could make use of our record signing, could Arnautovic not play as a striker in place of Carroll, if and when Carroll is subbed/injured; he has the same physical attributes - height, strength, plus a little more speed and better ball skills ;hmm
  • Only issue I have with your XI TWC is that we will not get the pressing from Antonio that Zab gave usl last night.
  • Agreed. I would want to keep Zab in he side.
  • just wouldn't bother fitting players in.

Overall as much as Carroll is a beast in the air and a handful he still is in my opinion that guy you bring on in the 70th minute for 20 minutes or so.

I would personally like to see Antonio Hernandez Arnie in a front 3

then Zab Kouyate Obiang Cresswell in a 4

Fonte Reid Collins in a 3 at the back
  • edited September 2017
    Yeold - no Lanzini? Or is this just your team for WBA and you're assuming Manu is still out injured?
  • ultimately i want to see us go back to the Allardyce 4-4-2 Diamond with Manu at the tip.
  • IronHerb, Fair point ;thumbsup Difficult to fit everyone in so it will have to be a risk vs reward from Slaven.

Carroll simply has to start vs WBA for his defending alone, will be badly needed on set pieces.
  • I don't know whether people think noble might still be injured, but having read the above posts, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming clamour to reinstate him into our midfield ;hmm
  • At least we found out that Zabaleta is capable (more comfortable?) At playing a RWB, he looks much happier going forward with security behind him that Fonte gave

We have a lot of options which is good

There is a reason why Slaven likes 4-2-3-1 because it's the formation that best suits the players we have as it allows us to get the best out of Lanzini

Sadly we as a unit do not look comfortable whereas we do with a back 3

It's going to be interesting.to see who slav fancies with these players coming back
  • Noble isn't in my first 11 when most are fit. He is approaching the Nolan role now imo, cup games and the like.
  • Judging by the look on his face last night, even when we were winning 2-0, I think he's beginning to realise that too.
  • I've always though Nobes would put the club before himself.
  • I think when we have our ball players fit then AC can start on the bench maybe,

But last night was the perfect example of what he can bring without scoring a goal.

He bashed up the whole B4 / MF in the air.
  • Suze, I think he was aware of his limitations and 1st. team prospects when he signed his long-term extension.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/26/mark-noble-signs-west-ham-2020

£50,000 a week is quite soothing ;wink
  • I don't think he does it just for the money either.
  • We would be mad to risk Carroll maybe for the last 15 mins he played more than he should have the other night it's asking for trouble. Sakho should start with Hernandez.
  • edited September 2017
    Hart
    Fonte - Reid - Collins
    Zabaleta - Obiang - Kouyate - Cresswell
    Antonio - Chicharito - Ayew

Adrian, Ogbonna, Byram, Masuaku, Arnautovic, Carroll, Sakho (assuming Noble is out)

Completely agree on not risking Carroll. He has to be managed. He probably played 20 mins longer than he should've on Monday. We aren't going to beat WBA going direct. Dawson, Evans, Hegazi etc.

Arne should not walk straight back in. Sends out completely the wrong message after his red card.

They have strengthened and have a decent XI.

Foster
    Dawson - Evans - Hegazi - Nyom
    Barry
    Phillips - Livermore - Krychowiak - Rodriguez
    Rondon

With signings like Gibbs and Oliver Burke on the bench.

Money on the draw. 1-1.
  • Arne should not walk straight back in. Sends out completely the wrong message after his red card.
    Absolutly...

I would start with the same 11 that started on Monday. Would like to see though Hernandez play a lot closer to Carroll.

Hernandez and Antonio need to attack Evans, he is very slow.
  • alderz said:

When I go through our squad, the players that I want to have on the pitch as much as possible are:

Hart, Zabaleta, Reid, Cresswell, Obiang, Kouyate, Lanzini, Hernandez, Carroll, Antonio, Arnautovic.

Hart; Zabaleta Kouyate Reid; Antonio Obiang Lanzini Cresswell; Arnautovic; Hernandez Carroll? (3-4-1-2)

Hart; Zabaleta Kouyate Reid Cresswell; Antonio Obiang Lanzini Arnautovic; Hernandez Carroll? (4-4-2)

If I try and put them into a formation, I struggle to get something that works and is balanced. So then it's a case of do I drop one of those, or do I try to make it work. I think the two I'm most likely to be willing to move out of the team are Arnautovic and Carroll.

I know you don't think this is necessarily the best tactic for picking a team, but I'll say it anyway. This is a trap that many bad managers fall into, imo. England managers with the whole Lampard/Gerrard debacle being a very well known example. You can't think like this.

You have to decide what style and formation is best suited to the match, then fill those positions from the pool you have available, round pegs, round holes.

As opposed to saying these 11 need to play, how can I force them in.

Anyway, same 11 for me. Maybe Ayew in for Hernandez as he should be rewarded for changing the game.
This discussion has been closed.