Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• We will have to wait and see what they say now if in fact they say anything. Last year it was "we agreed the fee but the player wouldn't come". This year "the player wanted to come but we wouldn't pay the fee".
  • Slightly off topic, but Chelsea sold Matic for £40m and replaced him with Drinkwater for £35m.

Not sure I get the logic there.
  • I think the window was average we got rid of the all extra players we bought for a European campaign that did n't happen and bought in some quality players. I think the squad is capable of an 8-12 finish depending on injuries. I think Carvahlo we decided how much we were prepared to go and Sporting tried to get more money I am undecided if was a good thing or not £40 mill for a player who has no prem experience and all the big boys have passed on would have been a massive gamble imo. Its rumoured Bilic was give a list of alternatives and he did n;t want them which would explain the lack of movement yesterday. ;hmm A couple of wins and things will look different
  • I don't get how you go to the next level if you aren't willing to push the final boat out. We look set for another poor season with no progression. The extra OS money seems to have evaporated or is not being used and being saved. In January we were saying "instead of spending, save the money and use it for the Summer" but it didn't get used at all.

Hoping the Charlton guy looking at the Tax Payers money going towards the stadium pushes the agenda further, the finances at the club don't seem right maybe with fuller details we can get some light shed on the matter.
  • Slightly off topic, but Chelsea sold Matic for £40m and replaced him with Drinkwater for £35m.

Not sure I get the logic there.

They actually replaced him with Bakayoko, no?
  • In the mental social media world this kind of thing doesn't help either.

Fans find or are handed this information, yes I know it can be over the top reaction but most are not going to go looking for the correct data, these two weapons don't help at all, the "4m net spend over two seasons" by Gale has now been trumped by that mega muppet Merson

IMG_3094
  • I think the window was average we got rid of the all extra players we bought for a European campaign that did n't happen and bought in some quality players. I think the squad is capable of an 8-12 finish depending on injuries. I think Carvahlo we decided how much we were prepared to go and Sporting tried to get more money I am undecided if was a good thing or not £40 mill for a player who has no prem experience and all the big boys have passed on would have been a massive gamble imo. Its rumoured Bilic was give a list of alternatives and he did n;t want them which would explain the lack of movement yesterday. ;hmm A couple of wins and things will look different

That's where the problem lie's. To win, you need to score goals, and we havn't
    got a decent fit striker, capable to do that on a regular basis.
  • ;ok Beardy

Just because they played football doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are talking about. TV talking heads - ex pros - are often wrong about some of the very basic rules of the game and nearly always let their bias show.

• Oh and Hamstew

I ain't no mug for buying a season ticket! What I am is a long term supporter who puts her hard earned were her mouth is.

I'll turn up and support my football club as I have done for the last 40 years regardless of what goes on during a transfer window, who the manager is and weather or not Diafra Sakho is a spoilt little child who needs a reality check.

WHTID ;scarf
  • Ex ;ok

And to rub salt into the wounds, the club have this morning launched the 3rd kit, trying to get another £55 from the punters for a kit the players will probably only ever wear once.

Right, I'm going to buy one and then not wear it. That'll teach 'em. ;biggrin
  • I don't think Hamstew really means ST buying fans are mugs but as I tried to point out the other day this lot don't give much back do they.

Interesting article by Sean W on the finances which is probably more realistic

If the boss keeps saying I'm happy with what I've got then the board arent going to keep signing players are they?

He's got a real job on his hands now
  • If he is happy with what he is got amounting to 10 goals conceded in 3 games he isn't fit to be a manager
  • Sean W is usually more accurate than most I must say.

What did grind my gears though was the four away games where no assistance was offered to fans in terms of travel. At the very least the club could have put on free coaches to the games that should have been played at home.

Whilst those fans will gain later when those games are played at home, it was the fact it was four on the trott.
  • It just shows Merse is even dumber than Gale. Which is going some.
  • It's always hard to know what really went on, was Carvalho a reality that we got messed about on and quite rightly refused ever increasing demands or do our owners tend to always have a big venture that never quite gets across the line for some reason to provide an appearance of intent which isn't really there, I certainly don't know the answer to that one.

Either way it's been a decent window without instilling a genuine sense of enthusiasm that we are about to make the leap into genuine top 8 contenders. I think on reflection we may have paid a little to much for Arto, but time will tell, I would likely have kept Fergouli as a squad player as we didn't add anyone late. If Sakho wanted to go I would have liked to get it sorted and bring in someone else to replace as he is likely to sulk or get injured and providing we had a replacement I would have happily let him go.

I feel that we will either put a few results together now and move up the table or Slav will come under quick pressure and may even find his new signings are of the character that will create a rather fractious dressing room, resulting in an environment in which he finds his job hard. He may also find a Mark Noble problem in that if he doesn't start will he back Slav in any power struggle? Mark will clearly have a supporters and could be central to the managers ability to manage, a little how people always imagined John Terry's role at Chelsea, he was so influential that the manager needed him which likely resulted in him playing a good season or two longer than his current form ever warranted.
  • edited September 2017
    Hammex you said :-

That's where the problem lie's. To win, you need to score goals, and we havn't
    got a decent fit striker, capable to do that on a regular basis.

Chicarito is more than decent and is fit and will score on a regular basis ;goal
  • edited September 2017
    Ok, so now the dust has settled, until January, and assuming everyone is fit, I would go with:

Hart
    Reid Collins Ogbonna
    Byram Obiang Kouyate Cresswell
    Lanzini Antonio
    Hernandez

Adrian, Zabaleta, Rice, Noble, Arnautovic, Carroll, Martinez

That is a pretty solid match day squad. No excuses from anyone now. The bed is made.
  • If he is happy with what he is got amounting to 10 goals conceded in 3 games he isn't fit to be a manager

But yeold, Slav is looking at a season long view and not a 3 game view, unlike your good self.
  • OCS- I agree its a mid table Prem League squad now its time to show it , I think there are plenty of teams with worse squads than us. Brighton have no fit strikers , Newcastle squad looks thin, Palace spent £26m to stay in the same place with M Sakho . I think we all feel its a case of what could have been with a few more signings but we have a better first 11 than last year.
  • Hammerex said:

That's where the problem lie's. To win, you need to score goals, and we havn't got a decent fit striker, capable to do that on a regular basis.

Is that not Hernandez?
  • I would have thought so.
  • OCS ;ok

And in that 18 you haven't even got Fonte, Masuaku, Fernades, Ayew or Sakho. And then you have youngsters like Samuelsen, Haksabanovic and Holland who are supposedly pushing for the first team.

Am I completely happy with the squad? No.

But we are pretty ok in most areas.
  • Oh and Hamstew

I ain't no mug for buying a season ticket! What I am is a long term supporter who puts her hard earned were her mouth is.

I'll turn up and support my football club as I have done for the last 40 years regardless of what goes on during a transfer window, who the manager is and weather or not Diafra Sakho is a spoilt little child who needs a reality check.

WHTID ;scarf

Suz didn't mean to imply you or anyone is a mug. If I could afford one or get the time I would get one too. More that the board are treating us like them as they know the fans will always go. ;ok
  • To be honest out off the players who left I am not really sure we are going to miss any of them ;hmm
  • edited September 2017
    ;ok fair enough Hammy.
  • Slav just read your comment ;ok
  • IronHerb said:

If he is happy with what he is got amounting to 10 goals conceded in 3 games he isn't fit to be a manager

But yeold, Slav is looking at a season long view and not a 3 game view, unlike your good self.
    No good use if he gets fired after 10 games though is it.
  • Im quite angry about the whole thing. Think im gonna stay away for a bit ;lol
  • No need to stay away because you are cross.