Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

edited September 2017 in Transfer Speculation
What will the final day bring?

Comments

• edited August 2017
    The longer this window has gone on, I think the success of our business has declined. 4 in and however many out.

Zaza, Calleri, Fletcher, Valencia and possibly Sakho out; Chicharito in.

Leaving 2 strikers (one being Andy) and 2 who can sort of play there. Can Ayew actually play anywhere? He struggles to play properly in his natural position.

Still got gaping holes in the squad, have one natural winger, no DM...

Hoping for a couple of surprises today. Not optimistic.
  • edited August 2017
    This window started off so well, it's rapidly going downhill fast!

That being said I have a sneaky feeling we could get one or two in today.

The Sakho Saga, more I think about it. surely there has been a miscommunication somewhere? Perhaps someone told him to go for the medical, then someone else at the club pulled the plug on it? Perhaps agent games?

None of it makes any sense, him going down there then Gold and his tweets,

Mark Noble said in May 2016 this club is no longer run like a circus.....

WHUFC "hold my beer".....

• Everton in talks for Bats.
  • I miss Rav ;puzzled
  • If, as seems likely, Sakho stays, how committed is he going to be to the cause? Do we really want to pass up £9m for a player in the last year of his contract, who is physically broken and not happy to be here?

I get we may struggle to replace him at this short notice, but to be honest, given the circumstances, I think I'd take the risk and if all else fails promote Martinez and get someone in in January.

Agree that we need a winger (unless Holland and/or Haksabanovic step up) and a DM. Would be very disappointed if we end up with no-one else coming in, particuarly given our start to the season.
  • edited August 2017

This window started off so well, it's rapidly going downhill fast!

That being said I have a sneaky feeling we could get one or two in today.

I also believe we will get a couple in today but if they're panic/DS signings then no thank you. It really seems that there is a lot of quality available out there and wanting to come to the PL. Teams around us have signed some quality players. I'd like to think Carvalho and Bats is an option. I do not want to see Maida etc.

Bring it Sully
  • Sky reporting we've had a loan for Miralles turned down by EFC

• Least when we go down a crop of youth will get info the team
  • Ex basically saying to not build our hopes up that way we won't be disappointed
  • Jota, one of our reported targets, is due to have a medical at Birmingham
  • Lukerz said:

Everton in talks for Bats.

• Why would we be even trying for Miralles on loan ? - we are truly skint ;angry
  • Why would we be even trying for Miralles on loan ?

'Cos we don't want him on a permanent contract?
  • MrsGrey said:

Why would we be even trying for Miralles on loan ?

'Cos we don't want him on a permanent contract?
    But why are we then trying for stop gaps at this late stage - if we want a player for a particular position, we should have been doing a lot more a lot earlier. We are in the ridiculous position of trying to replace players we have loaned out/sold (Snodgrass/Fegouli) with a loan on the last day from a rival.
    It smacks of offering the manager the bare minimum of support - basically, get a few 'bodies' in on loan to pad out the squad, when we have spent the window so far on getting rid of squad/fringe players.
    As a strategy its totally incoherent - and has a lack of real committed funding as its source.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised today, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • edited August 2017
    Because unless it comes off, we've focused to much on one signing, the Carvalho deal, bit like we did last year

Honestly thought they'd spend about 30-40m net this summer and it could still happen but I doubt it now. I've always thought they had cashflow issues and Sporting wanting X amount up front may of confirmed that.

When you see all the numbers within the club, the TV money the interest being taken by the owners etc, it's no wonder some fans get frustrated
  • Ex now saying Carvalho is extremely unlikely.

Going to be a long day...
  • Honestly thought they'd spend about 30-40m net this summer and it could still happen but I doubt it now. I've always thought they had cashflow issues and Sporting wanting X amount up front may of confirmed that.

One Twitter source has said, "We are looking for a last minute loan for unsettled prem players", which does suggest that we're not planning to spend anymore money.
  • If Tony Gale did say 4m net over last two seasons he's an absolute muppet!!

And even if he didn't. ;ok
  • Squad looks paper thin. Then again the first 11 have been tinpot so far. So it probably not going to matter in the grand scheme of things.
  • This was the reason we moved to the new stadium, to enable us to push on to the next level....
    IMO we should now all be aware that G+S have no real interest in advancing our footballing reputation at the expense of supporting the clubs finances, other than with Interest bearing loans at way above market investment rates.
    They are also hanging Slav out to dry, and will not be buying players for him in this window IMO, and he could be gone by October, with funds released in January and next Summer for the new man. This has a knock on effect on the motivation within the squad, with the players knowing that the manager is not being supported with a new contract, but the Daves are too cheap to get rid now, and clear things up.
    Sully's insistence on deal making has cost us a couple of our headline signings for the past two summer windows. Our lack of ability to put down large down payments on transfers means we are not seen by selling clubs to be ' at the next level' yet.

We are in all probablility not actually 'skint', but we have no money to invest outside player sales, which in modern PL, means roughly the same thing.

I may turn TV, Phone, and laptop off to give my ulcer a break......
  • edited August 2017
    Claret & Hugh claims that Sakho was told by our 'very skillful' manager before the Newcastle game that in the pecking order as a striker he is behind Ayew and Antonio. Again, Bilic demonstrates his brilliant man-managing skills - and yet another player rushes to the exit door following Payet, Snodgrass and Co. Bilic doesn't even remember that Ayew isn't a striker (and doesn't deserve to be playing, if you ask me) and neither is Antonio. Should we be surprised with what's going on at our club? Does anybody seriously think that we have have a future as a PL club while Bilic is at the helm and clings to his salary, instead of resigning?
  • i still think this squad is good enough to finish 10th under the right manager or
    coach , yes we are thin at the back and in midfield and it would have been great if
    we could have added 2 more quality players , but i think this window was all about
    getting the wage bill down imo .
  • edited August 2017

Claret & Hugh claims

I'll stop you there... ;wink

I know Bilic has his faults, but I'd be amazed if he's said that. Particularly as he has played Sakho as a striker this season, even moving Hernandez to the wing to accommodate him.
  • Lost in translation?

Even Snoddy thinks he hears Slav say "where would you like to play" before being subbed on

Perhaps we need to invest in some translators?
  • Llorente looks like he's on his way to Spurs, so we can forget getting Bats in (if there ever was a chance)
  • edited August 2017
    Could be a misunderstanding, of course, but why else would Sakho rush to France at this particular moment? And why wasn't he picked to play against Newcastle? We could do with a couple of his goals, or even a hat-trick. Ayew didn't look like scoring, this was obvious.
  • Sorry but this did make me ;lol

Thanks Mark Noble....

IMG_3082
  • My favourite image of the day so far

IMG_20170831_105640
  • edited August 2017

Could be a misunderstanding, of course, but why else would Sakho rush to France at this particular moment? And why wasn't he picked to play against Newcastle?

Cos he's a twonk? and 'Cos he'd been throwing a strop?

As plausible (more so, imo, since he's got form) as the other possible explanation.