Reece Oxford on loan to Bundesliga (BMG)

edited June 2017 in Completed Transfers
This discussion was created from comments split from: Academy and Development squad and Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation threads, where it had spread.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    So, Reece Oxford off to some German team ( ;wink ) as per the BBC. Not just in the gossip column, either.

Hope he gets regular games ;clap ;luck
  • This seems to me like a carefully thought out move by the club.

Clearly, they don't feel he is ready to play a regular role in our first team atm.

Assuming he gets decent game time. this could be a big step in his footballing development.
  • Looks like Oxford has gone on loan to Germany...

IMG_1254
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40333744

BBC reported Oxford's BMG move. I think this is a really strange, but exciting transfer. A year abroad at 18 could be incredible for his development. Even if he isn't getting into the team as a first choice, living there and training in a different culture is going to be great for his development as a person. I don't think anyway realistically expected him to be in our first XI this season, so, to me at least, this is a positive all round.
  • I wonder if he did German for his GCSEs?
  • Has he taken GCSEs yet?
  • The very best of luck lad, I hope you get plenty of games and experience ;luck ;ok
  • Judging by how he played against Ozil (seems like years ago now), I'd say he knows German(s) pretty well.
  • I think it's a good loan for him

It should be good for him to experience German culture and German training (which can imagine is pretty regimented)

It's a huge chance for him to learn

It's unreasonable to expect a 18 year old defender (more pressure than strikers/attacking midfielders) to play consistently in the EPL

BMG are also pretty confident playing young players as well so hoping for the best
  • Not that it means a huge amount, but I just saw that Reece Oxford is #3 for BMG
  • But he won't develop as a LB!

;wink
  • Well, having done some reading about them, it turns out Christensen was #3 for them. So, on paper at least, it could be assumed that they are replacing one young loanee centre back with another. Christensen made over 30 appearances in each of the last two seasons. If Oxford makes over 20 I will be really pleased with that.

• Reece's first Monchengladbach press conference. I really hope he gets the games and experience, this could be great for his progress. With Christensen getting so much game time in his stay there the previous two seasons it looks positive so far. Go on Reece! ;pray ;thumbsup
  • Reece scored today in a 2-1 win
  • Good news ;ok
  • Pre season game, though. German Bundesliga doesn't start until 18/08.
  • Yeah against Malaga
  • Bad news - for me - though, is that the OS article says he i) only came on after an hour (maybe shouldn't read much into that), and ii) (this is the really bad part) played at right-back.

Despite that, he was named Man of the Match.

Rather bizarre.

Are we going to see coming back from Germany in a year's time our new RB?
  • Bad news - for me - though, is that the OS article says he i) only came on after an hour (maybe shouldn't read much into that), and ii) (this is the really bad part) played at right-back.

Despite that, he was named Man of the Match.

Rather bizarre.

Are we going to see coming back from Germany in a year's time our new RB?

That would be nice. I love seeing the lads come through, although these days it's so much more difficult and the cash is the priority. You got to be super special to make it.
  • I don't really care if he played at RB he seems like quite a versatile player regardless and it is just preseason

Also if he got a man of the match award then maybe he is better suited to that role....

Let's be honest it seems Rice is now our highest regarded prospect alongside Oxford and we also have Burke who looks like he may stay with the first team this year so we aren't exactly in huge need of a centre back whereas we don't really seem go have a really really talented Right back or CDM at te club (sorry Pike and Makasi)

Just happy they recognised his talent and allow him to develop
  • edited July 2017
    But we know what happened to our last home-grown CB that was played at RB...

Went off to the Palace and didn't come home with an honour.
  • Comments that are more about #nextgen and less about Reece Oxford at BMG are now to be found here http://www.whu606.com/discussion/10237
  • Wikipedia says he hasn't played at all?
  • ;lol What's going on?
  • Ok. The award is run by an Italian newspaper, and judged by a panel of journalists. It is for 'the past year' rather than being based on a football season.

Can't find out who puts the nominations forward though.

Maybe it doesn't suggest he's been doing well.

;yercoat

• Slightly worrying if he is not getting any pitch time as the same happened at Reading, might suggest he doesn't exactly set the world alight in training! Billericay loan next possibly.
  • He played and did well in pre-season, but isn't getting league time.