New rules to punish diving (retrospectively)

Just agreed by the FA, for next season.

A panel consisting of one ex-match official, one ex-manager and one ex-player will look at footage, and try to identify simulation.

If all 3 are in agreement, the offender will be suspended.

;clap

Comments

• Whilst it is progress (and clearly a good thing) still the only beneficiary will be future opponents of the side being penalised and not the side which was wrongly done by in the first place.
  • edited May 2017
    Baracks, that's a good point. It's why I've thought for a long time that football should use the same method as rugby union regarding yellow cards.
  • edited May 2017
    It’s definitely a positive step in the right direction and should eradicate the problem if enough players are punished.

It will also make Jamie Vardy about 50% less effective.
  • Baracks. A good point but you would hope that once they start to hand out suspensions it will be eradicated, or even to a point where by the refs will feel a certain reticence to awarding soft/contentious pens.

I'd like to see it expanded even more because the culture will still be there as, from what I've read, it will only apply to penalties and sending offs, which IMO doesnt handle it as they should, although the first step is a welcome one.
  • One possibility is that it would also put pressure on refs (by effectively pointing out that they made a mistake by not penalising diving during the game) to be more rigorous in a game. Of course, it could have the opposite effect - if they aren't sure, they let it go and trust the review panel to take action later.

The main aim, though, is to punish the offender (by forcing them to leave the player our for the next game) so I think it will change behaviour that way ... especially if clubs include it in their disciplinary system such that the player gets a fine).
  • Whilst I agree; I don't really understand why diving is seen so much worse than cynical tackles, shirt pulling, etc. Deliberately going against the rules for a yellow card offence.

Why does diving deserve a retrospective ban and other yellow card offences don't?
  • If the ref sees it though and it gets a card it doesn't get retrospective banning does it. Though with this new rule you get banned so is diving now a red card offence instead of a yellow?
  • alderz said:

Whilst I agree; I don't really understand why diving is seen so much worse than cynical tackles, shirt pulling, etc. Deliberately going against the rules for a yellow card offence.

Why does diving deserve a retrospective ban and other yellow card offences don't?

I would love to see the grappling that goes on in the box at corners get some sort of serious attention. It is such a joke.

• edited May 2017
    So with this rule, is this only an offence if not seen and penalised during play by the official?

So if the ref sees a dive, decides it's a dive, I assume it's now a straight red card instead of a yellow, because the retrospective punishment is a ban?

So next season diving will see a straight red card issued during play? Right?

Or is it a case of an additional ban will be handed out after the game in addition to the yellow they received for the dive during play?

Edit (sorry yeold, just read you post which I'm in agreememt with) ;ok
  • It doesn't seem to be.

So in this scenario, if you're in a relegation scrap on the final day of the season and you dive to win a penalty that keeps your side up, the risk is a yellow card on the day, or if it works a ban later that won't take effect until next season.