Terror attack in London

Reports of policeman stabbed and a car driven into pedestrians outside Parliament

Comments

• One fatality so far and a number with catastrophic injuries.
  • edited March 2017
    SOB! ;angry
  • Hope everyone's safe. Horrible.
  • A friend in romford says the police are everywhere maybe tracking down others involved...
  • The police said they would be out in force to reassure the public.
  • edited March 2017

A friend in romford says the police are everywhere maybe tracking down others involved...

Probably best not to speculate, though, at this stage. (referring to the 'maybe tracking down others involved' part) ;ok
  • Stay strong London, and everywhere. ;pray
  • My thoughts are with everyone in London over this & in particular the families of the bereaved & injured,but I have to ask the question,is anyone actually surprised? Let's hope for minimal casualties. Stay safe everybody.
  • Madrid I'm not sure what to read into your comments. I'm sure most people were surprised by what happened today. We've lived in the UK with an alert status of severe for some considerable time now but I doubt many people, I certainly don't, go about their daily lives thinking today's the day it's going to happen.
    This certainly wont be the last but life will go on as usual.
  • but I have to ask the question,is anyone actually surprised?

As we don't know who carried out the attack or why then everything is pure speculation. Wait until we get more information or otherwise you're no better than the EDL scum trying to stir things up
  • Blimey bit harsh!!
  • Out of order ASLEF.
  • My condolences to all those effected especially the loved ones of those who died yesterday.

I have been commuting in and out of London for 30 years and I'm sad to say you just get used to this. From the days of the IRA puting bombs in bins to your modern nut job.

• Always felt weird walking to Lloyds of London from Liverpool street, past the Commercial Union building when in for weekend overtime in the mid 90's, barely anyone around and very eerie indeed, couldn't help it was always looking out for parked cars and vans
  • https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/donald-trump-jr-tweet-london-mayor-sadiq-khan

Evidence that a terrible act like yesterday's brings out the best in some, and the not so good in others. ;angry
  • Madrid, in answer to your question. I was shocked but not surprised.

I still remember the emergency drills for fire/bomb (and the differences between them) from when the IRA was a threat in the 80s and 90s in London. And I was working in the capital in 2005 when the bombs went off. Yesterday's wasn't the first, and I don't know why anyone would think that would be the last, sadly.

Like the mayor said, it's a modern day reality. (Or in Suz's words - a lot of nut jobs out there)
  • I feel so sorry for all the family's this affects its all so unnecessary and solves
    absolutely nothing .

No one ever deserves to die because of differing belief's .
  • edited March 2017

but I have to ask the question,is anyone actually surprised?

As we don't know who carried out the attack or why then everything is pure speculation. Wait until we get more information or otherwise you're no better than the EDL scum trying to stir things up
    Hi all,first of all no offence was intended re the above statement so if it did offend anyone then I'm really sorry. This is the trouble with online posts sometimes & I most certainly did not want to come across like a member of the EDL ,who I utterly despise.I just meant that there was a certain inevitably that something like this was going to happen.The reasons for this go back to our involvement in the Iraq War & while the UK involves itself in events like this there will be repercussions.
    The last sentence isn't meant to be controversial by the way,it's just how I see things.
  • Final point re the above. When I quoted I thought my original post would quoted with it so I'm certainly not trying to start a mini disagreement with Aslef or anyone else.With hindsight I can see why one or two of you took my original comment that way.Maybe I shouldn't post after a couple of glasses of wine.Anyway,stay safe everyone.
  • Madrid....honestly don't see what you've got to explain or apologize for.

You carry on drinking.....
  • You don't have anything to explain or apologise for Madrid ;hug
  • Found out the officer that died was in my Dad's police unit. Terrible news for all involved.
  • edited March 2017
    Madrid, appreciate your clarification ;ok

But if you make a link between the attackers motives and the UKs involvement in the war, aren't you making assumptions about (a) why he did it and (b) why he chose the target he did?

Personally, I think that sort of theorising is best left until the facts are clearer. Just my opinion.

Edit: I see Leave.eu have issued a press statement basically blaming the incident on immigration. ;angry
  • MrsGrey said:

Madrid, appreciate your clarification ;ok

But if you make a link between the attackers motives and the UKs involvement in the war, aren't you making assumptions about (a) why he did it and (b) why he chose the target he did?

Personally, I think that sort of theorising is best left until the facts are clearer. Just my opinion.

Edit: I see Leave.eu have issued a press statement basically blaming the incident on immigration. ;angry

Thanks Mrs G.
    I've learned a lesson here with regards to all of this & it's not a good thing to post until a day or two later.Not just because of the facts being clearer but also because emotions run high in the wake of such an atrocity.
    My thoughts are with the victims & their families. R.I.P
  • First off, apologies Madrid, I was not in the best of moods last night, I was out of order. That being said last night the identity of the attacker had not been revealed so there was nothing linking them to Islamic extremism, Iraq or anything else.

On the Iraq thing France has suffered several Islamic terrorist attacks despite not joining the USA in the invasion, indeed France got a lot of stick from the USA at the time (remember freedom fries?). Basically any country in "the West" is now a target for Islamic extremism simply because it is "the West" rather than for specific actions like Iraq.

Meanwhile Katie Hopkins tells Fox News that Londoners are "cowed" and "afraid". When Londoners tell Katie Hopkins she's wrong she writes in the Daily Mail that London is "An entire City of Monkeys. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Blind. Deaf. And dumb".

Katie Hopkins grew up in Bideford, went to Exeter University and worked in New York until 2005. What the hell does she know about London?

Hopkins, Fox News and the Daily Mail can all go do one
  • The attacker was British Born raised in Hackney was a social outcast and hang around with the Asian kids at school . My wifes brother went to school with him and he lived down their road, He recognised him on the tv and it has been confirmed on social media . He changed his name at 18 I think and was know to the security services .
  • I'm with you on that ASLEF ;ok
  • "Hopkins, Fox News and the Daily Mail can all go do one"
    ----

If anyone follows the Daily Mash site this their headline "London in grip of normality"

In response to the Zeig Hail and it's hellish minions...
  • edited March 2017
    From BBC:
    "The so-called Islamic State group has said it was behind the attack."

However, this is not necessarily so, since IS would be likely to claim any "terror attack" as being theirs for propaganda purposes.
    The "attacker/terrorist" could just as easily have been solely mentally unstable. I think there needs to be further investigation before IS's involvement can be accepted as truth.