January 2017 Transfer Speculation

They said they wanted a new transfer thread..

Who's they you ask?

The voices in my head

Ade Ade Ade

Oi Oi Oi

Comments

• Looks like Defoe's a no go:

In response to a tweet saying Defoe at £15m would be a good deal given the goals he would guarantee...

David Gold @davidgold
    How much do you think you could sell Defoe for when he's 36? dg
  • Rav, ;lol
  • They spoke
    I listened
    We delivered
  • Looks like Defoe's a no go:

In response to a tweet saying Defoe at £15m would be a good deal given the goals he would guarantee...

David Gold @davidgold
    How much do you think you could sell Defoe for when he's 36? dg

He really needs to get off twitter for his own good. Just doesn't help himself.
  • edited January 2017
    I mean, why would you sell Defoe? Thought we were no longer a selling club?

I suppose the point he's making is it's £15m for a couple of years of football. Ok, I get that. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and take the hit in order to see the club prosper for the next 18 months whilst you can identify a longer term target.

But you have to ask what will it take to find the right player. They reckon Hogan is the better bet at the same price because he is 10 years younger, but I'd bet Defoe would get more goals over the next 6 months than Hogan will (if he signs).
  • Might just be a negotiating tactic - tell Sunderland we're not that desperate, to keep the price down.

• Unless he hands in a transfer request I don't believe Defoe is coming.
  • The Times saying Conte wants Antonio? ;hmm
  • BREAKING NEWS

Stoke City have made a formal bid to buy West Brom striker Saido Berahino, according to Sky sources.

There is so far no indication of the value of the Stoke bid, but we understand it is less than the £20m offer from Tottenham that was rejected in the summer of 2015. Stoke also had a similar bid rejected in the summer.

Berahino hasn't played for Albion since September, and was sent to a training camp in France last month to improve his fitness. He hasn't scored a Premier League goal since February last year
  • Surely they'll just sell him now?

What benefit does it do either keeping him in exile.
  • Berahino would be a good signing for us, IMO.
  • Luke

WBA seem to think they will get a huge amount at tribunal if he leaves on a free, so they are only likely to sell him if they get a stupid offer
  • edited January 2017
    alderz - the record tribunal fee was £8m Liverpool paid Burnley for Danny Ings, eclipsing the previous record of £3.5m paid for Daniel Sturridge by Chelsea to Man City.

Bearing in mind WBA have rejected £20m+ bids for Berahino, not sure what game they're playing.
  • hasn't played for Albion since September, and was sent to a training camp in France last month to improve his fitness. He hasn't scored a Premier League goal since February last year

Perfect fit for a West Ham striker I would say...
  • I wanted him before. Now thats teased me into wanting him now!! ;wahoo ;barrera ;nolan ;poormf
  • Baz ;ok we have 2 more weeks of being teased yet so calm down ;wink
  • whipped into a Hogan frenzy! We're getting him 100% Or I'll present match of the day in the boy line-acher's pants! ;wahoo ;scarvire scarvab ;scarveng
  • What's all this Gold and co saying we want to get our buissness done early Jan I take that being the 1st week now in to 2nd week and not even a wiff of a signing ;doh
  • Guillem Balague reporting that Batshuayi to West Ham being worked on. Swansea have missed out on player and are targeting Ulloa. West Ham are in discussions with Chelsea but there is a very real possibility that Antonio may be going to Chelsea. ;hmm
  • ;weep over my dead body
  • Can't see why Chelsea would want Antonio. He's been class for us, but let's be honest, the guy is a battering ram. He's not 'cultured' enough for a top club. He bundles past players, he doesn't glide past them. He can finish but he's not a striker, he's a winger but he can't cross. He's not going to Chelsea.
  • edited January 2017
    In an either or situation, I would prefer to keep Antonio over Payet.

Wouldn't want Berahino anywhere near our club.
  • Eski ;ok I'd be very surprised if they were interested. Although his versatility and the fact he's British and may be attractive to them ;hmm

But, no, I can't see it happening
  • If we did lose Antonio we'd be down to the minimum number of homegrown players.
  • Wouldn't be that bothered with Antonio going.
  • According to the Birmingham Mail if Berahino leaves on a free at the end of the season the Baggies would get just £500k if he goes to Rangers as they're an "overseas" club.
  • Guess he has shown willingness to play a wingback with mixed results

Moses currently occupied that spot and antonio displaced him in our team so who knows

Can't see the chairmen selling our top goalscorer when we are looking for a new striker
  • Agree with Luke. I think Antonio unbalances the team and is strong enough defensively. Wouldn't be fussed with him leaving.
This discussion has been closed.