Some West Ham statty stuff

Luke posted an interesting stat yesterday, which I've adapted to take it to the first half of the season:

Home form, first 19 games:

2015-16 W 3 D 4 L 2 Points = 13 (one more game)

2016 - 17 W 4 D 2 L 3 Points = 14

which suggests that the 'negative' effect of the London Stadium is not only being exaggerated, it is frankly being mis-stated.

It is away where our fortunes are so much less than last season, with Palace away our only win compared to last season's feel-good wins at Arsenal, Citeh and Anfield.

Whatever people may feel about how we have played, in the last 10 games our points return has been comparable to or better than the 8 teams above us, up to Spurs in 5th..
League
position
Points from
last 10 games
13 WHU 15
12 Watford 13
11 Stoke 18
10 Bmouth 13
9 Everton 10 9 if they lose tonight
8 WBA 14
7 Soton 15
6 Man U 17
5 Spurs 16

Comments

• which suggests that the 'negative' effect of the London Stadium is not only being exaggerated, it is frankly being mis-stated.

Yeah, but when did accuracy and facts make for an interesting story.

• It's the curse I tell 'ee.
  • ;nonono

I thought we left that behind.

;weep
  • Very interesting. I think we've also been making as many mistakes as this time last season but I don't have any stats to back that up. Remember Jenkinson and Creswell being awful at the beginning?

I think the key difference is that we're not scoring as many (not even close) and so we're not coming from behind to win games to make up for the individual errors, which we were doing last season.
  • Adam said:

I think the key difference is that we're not scoring as many (not even close) and so we're not coming from behind to win games to make up for the individual errors, which we were doing last season.

We've scored 19 and conceded 31, this time last season we'd scored 25 and conceded 21. The key difference is that before we switched to three at the back we conceded 17 goals and only kept one clean sheet in seven games.

In the first 17 games of last season we went behind twice to Norwich and Sunderland and came away with draws. In the six games we won we scored first although in the four games we lost we didn't score first. Against Everton and WBA we scored first and ended up with draws.

In the four games we didn't score we only lost once.

My brain hurts.........
  • To be fair I was really lazy and couldn't be bothered to back up my claims with stats! It was what I felt the stats would show.
  • I was sitting around waiting for the laundry to do.....
  • Here is an interesting stat that may be indicative of recent performances. During the last 8 home games I have proceeded to do the washing up a total of 8 times, during the Hull game I also dried up and peeled the potatoes.
  • Madcap - but the important thing is how does that compare to last season?
  • Also, you'd need to qualify what you consider 'the washing up'.

Are you talking about what happens to need doing, or a full evening/lunch/breakfast set?

Were you washing up a consistent amount, or did it differ, in which case the timings might well need to be adjusted to a fair average.
  • re: mistakes

I posted something last week, I'll see if I can find it
  • alderz said:

I just did some looking at the defensive error stats on Squawka, and I don't think that this is something new.

According to Squawka, we've made 8 defensive errors, 6 of which have led directly to a goal conceded. That's 75% of defensive errors being punished with a goal. After 14 games, that's 0.57 errors per game, and 0.43 goals conceded per game due to a defensive error. On top of that, we've conceded 4 penalties, 3 scored. If you include these, it puts us up to 0.86 errors per game, and 0.64 leading to goals.

Last season, we made 20 defensive errors 14 of which led to a goal conceded, 70%. After 38 games, that's 0.53 errors per game, and 0.37 goals conceded per game due to a defensive error. Including penalties (8 conceded, 6 scored), this puts us up to 0.74 errors per game and 0.53 conceded.

Once you add the penalty stats in, you can see that we are making slightly more errors per game, and being punished slightly more. However, this has been an issue for Bilic's entire reign, so, arguably, he should have addressed that in the summer.

The issue, to my mind, is that we scored 1.71 goals per game last season. This season it's 1.07. Last year, our defensive frailties were hidden because we were scoring freely. Without the goals this season our defense has nobody to bail them out.

;ok
  • We don't have midfield controllers, we have midfield grafters.
  • Adam ;weep none ;weep Life seemed so much better then ;weep Slav had his beard. Dimi was Godlike, Noble had legs, Adrian knew where he was in relation to his goalposts, and Zaza meant nothing more than an ageing actress...... ;weep
    I hate washing up..................................
  • Also, you'd need to qualify what you consider 'the washing up'.

Are you talking about what happens to need doing, or a full evening/lunch/breakfast set?

Were you washing up a consistent amount, or did it differ, in which case the timings might well need to be adjusted to a fair average.

;weep I was taking clean stuff out of the cupboards........... ;weep