I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

So West Ham members were sent this email today. What do you make of it?

imageIMG_20160811_000434

Anyway this was created off the back of the email.

https://change.org/p/david-gold-introduce-family-stands-and-standing-stands?recruiter=584536445&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Comments

• edited August 2016
    http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/August/10-August/A-message-from-the-Vice-Chairman
    We would therefore appeal to all fans to show due respect and consideration to those around and behind them, especially for children, the elderly and those with disabilities, and remain seated during future matches at London Stadium. Supporters are reminded that the regulations which govern all Premier League clubs state:

"Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden, and may result in ejection from the ground."‎

Therefore, those who stand persistently are at risk of having their Season Tickets permanently revoked. We are obviously reluctant to take any such action against loyal fans, and we hope that we will not be put in that position.

Supporters should note that Stadium stewards have been strongly briefed on the matter and are acting on the Club’s authority.
    You see, she's a Lady. ;biggrin

I, on the other hand, would say STOP BEING RUDE TO THE STEWARDS. STOP BEING SO FLIPPING SELFISH! OR YOU'RE BARRED!

;biggrin

• I don't see a problem with it

They aren't saying you can't stand up but don't stand up for long periods of time which I don't think it's unfair to ask

If a person stood up when I had a season ticket didn't care who they are I'd tell em to sit down

I've spent good money I should get a view unobstructed view

Don't get the disabled jibe though, surely the disabled fans are at the front anyway.....
  • edited August 2016
    I'm on row 7 block 113 and the 6 rows in front of me all stand so does that mean I'll get ejected because I'm not sitting because I can't see because of everyone else, I'll gladly sit but until the 6 rows In front of me sit how can I sit this was my view on Sunday. image
  • Putney, what stand is this?
  • West stand by the Trevor Brooking
  • I go to matches here in Poland with my kids. Here, there's a completely different dynamic on the (all-seater) terraces. The local 'ultras' usually choose one of the ends (opposite the away fans' section) as their territory, and everyone knows that if you buy a ticket for there, you will be surrounded by fans not only standing, but standing on the seats at times. You'll get covered in huge flags and banners, and have a maniac drumming while the entire section chant non-stop for 90 minutes. The rest of the stadium can sit and watch the match comfortably.
    Have a look:

Notice the average stadium attendance compared to 'Sektor C'.
  • Clear and fair.
  • As for the petition..

'This is an outrage' ;doh

'Hard working people pay a great amount of money to watch West ham' ;doh Yeah, mate, but they can't see because you won't sit down!

'Don't let Karren Brady...' Mate, its Premier League rules. ;doh

Needless to say, I won't be signing it.

Also, I think turning this into a a personal 'Karren Brady can't tell me what to do, so there' is ridiculous.

Maybe the people who sign the petition could start a fund to compensate those season ticket holders who, if the Club were to designate a section as 'persistent standing', would have to be moved to a different part of the stadium?

I would laugh if the club said yeah, alright, you got it: back row all around the stadium, you can stand as long as you like. Now, tell me which seat you'd like in that row and we'll re-allocate your season ticket to that seat. Enjoy ;ok

• Don't get the disabled jibe though, surely the disabled fans are at the front anyway.....

Perhaps referring to people who are not registered disabled, or in wheelchairs, but are not 'abled' enough to stand for long periods or to keep jumping up and down. (eg, have MS)?
  • Don't get the disabled jibe though, surely the disabled fans are at the front anyway.....

Disabled doesn't necessarily mean in a wheelchair, they might be able to sit in the regular seats but not able to stand for long periods.

The problem seems to be that back at the Boleyn everyone knew where to go if they wanted to be in a section where people stood up during the game or where they stayed sitting down, at the OS no one is quite sure where to go so we're all mixed up.

Hopefully it settles down but for those who've bought season tickets it might be a rather difficult season ahead.

PS does anyone know where the away fans are going to be?
  • MrsGrey said:

Also, I think turning this into a a personal 'Karren Brady can't tell me what to do, so there' is ridiculous.

This is winding me up. People on twitter saying we don't need her at the club. Sorry, but she's done more for our club than someone who likes to stand up in front of children because he thinks he can't chant sitting down.
  • Secrethammer, that's insane ;lol
    Are you Polish (if so, your English is impeccable) or English in which case do you speak Polish and if you do ;bowdown ;biggrin
  • edited August 2016
    eski, When we get the database sorted, I'll give you a dozen Agreeds but for now you'll have to make do with the one. ;ok
  • West stand by the Trevor Brooking

Oh. What was Chav corner at Upton Park.

Along with the BML it was the only place that fans always stood.
  • Spot on Eski

You can not stand up inside football grounds by law.

KB is doing her job.

Those that think it's ok to ruin someone's enjoyment can naff the hell off.
  • But it was ok for you Suze in the BML?
  • I can see both sides of the argument. I'd personally prefer to stand during the whole game. But if there is a kid the row behind and can't see because of standing then I understand that you need to sit down so they can see.

Asleef makes a great point. When you book tickets for Upton park you know which areas you would stand all game. Trevor brooking lower, bobby Moore lower. At the OS those regulars are dottedaround the stadium.

Secrethammer, that would be great for the OS. Doubt the board would agree though.

One thing that grinds my gears about the club at the moment is that they are trying (IMO) to make us a corporate club. Kit launches etc.. Turning into Arsenal
  • Tiwist

It has nothing to do with the club.

PL grounds are all-seating - end of. Sit down, shut up. Sit down, shut up.

I don't care how much someone wants to stand up.

If it is that important, go to a lower league club.

• Twist a club run soundly like Arsenal but with cheaper tickets and more passionate fans sounds pretty good to me. But I do see your point, West Ham are not really a corporate club, it is more of a family/in your blood type club.
  • Grey, wasn't an issue at Upton Park?
  • It was an issue that the club failed to deal with.

That's a failing on their part.

Warn and then ban persistent standers, randomly selecting say 10 every game from video evidence.

Resell the seat to one of the many thousands who would be happy to promise to sit down if it meant they got an ST, and donate the original ticket money to charity.
  • At Upton Park, the stewards were employed by the Club and did not enforce the law, there being a tacit acceptance of standing in certain parts of the ground.
    According to the steward who was mainly at the staircase access to UP, the stewarding at the OS is run by the stadium operators, with the stewards required to be available for all events, not just our games. He was getting a season ticket as he only wanted to watch WHU.
    Clearly, the new operators will need to fully comply with the law and the Club has been obliged to send out the e-mail.
    The guy who sits next to me has a problem with his feet which means he can walk slowly to the stadium but could not stand for the whole game. He has more right to see the whole match than those who want to stand! Fortunately, it has not been an issue during the first two games where we sit, nor was it at UP.
  • NEoldiron said:

Secrethammer, that's insane ;lol
    Are you Polish (if so, your English is impeccable) or English in which case do you speak Polish and if you do ;bowdown ;biggrin

Dzięki! :-)
    I'm Irish, but I've been living in Krakow for the best part of 20 years, so I speak Polish.
  • Twist, I reckon the board would agree, as this problem seems to be with sitting fans not being able to see. Of course, as with every stadium (including in Poland), it would be an unwritten rule. I reckon that, people being people, this is what will naturally happen over the next few months. Once the stewards see that everyone in a section is standing, and there are no complaints, then they will settle down (don't forget the law states that seating must be provided for safety and comfort, not that it must be used).
  • I wonder how many of the people now up in arms about this email would have been quite so vociferous if it had been sent out under the Captain's name?
  • (don't forget the law states that seating must be provided for safety and comfort, not that it must be used).

Law on Stadiums, maybe, but we are also members of a private club (the Premier League) which has its own rules for membership, including "Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden,
  • IronHerb said:

But it was ok for you Suze in the BML?

My seat backed onto the stairs so I was never in anyone's way.

But when I was asked to sit down I did and without giving the stewards mouth.

I'm in a different stand now and sit down, it's odd but it didn't stop me from singing or chanting.

I can understand the frustration of those who want to stand but not their stubbornness or their lack of care for fellow fans.

It feels a bit like the grief I used to get in the 80s about being at a football whilst being female.

Times change and we must change with it.

Having said that the club are wrong for not having a family stand and for not pushing for a safe standing area.

The football world is watching and IMHO the club with ban those who do not sit down.
  • Shoot them Capt. Mannering, shoot them. ;lol
  • edited August 2016

Grey, wasn't an issue at Upton Park?

It was a reason why the atmosphere probably reached the "heights" that it did at times.........

David Gold needs to remember those "fantastic fans and the atmosphere" they created during memorable wins.......(rightly or wrongly standing) I think he actually knows, judging by his tweets last night on the subject.

For the record, I think both sides to the argument are very valid. However the clubs need to sell as many ST's as possible has in fact helped cause this, they displaced so many fans due to the +2. Hopefully once all the ST holders are in their place the size of the problem can really be seen, for me the club need to look at some kind of ticket swap process.

They have a serious dilemma on their hands, they've sold the 52K ST's, now they are in danger of having in fan fighting or little to no atmosphere. Brady needs to address it one way or another imo.

Over many years it all settled down at UP, people either went to Standing area's or Seating area's, historically (I think) behind the goals at most stadiums the majority of the lower tiers stand for at least part of the game.......that goes back decades.

What I don't agree with is a general level of disrespect from one fan to another, you don't just stand up in front of someone when barely anyone else in that area is doing it and you certainly don't mouth abuse at them when they pull you up on it. You make sure you're aware of your surroundings and treat people with respect.

and if by magic, Jack tweeted this last night.......like that is going to help matters!

"I say do whatever you bloomin' well won't in your seat! If you want to stand up feel free, JS."
  • Another pathetic attempt by Mini Diddy to be 'in' with the 'lads'.

Too stupid to realise it is against PL rules...

Slizzy

For me, there isn't an issue for the club to sort out, beyond enforcing 'no persistent standing'