Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

edited February 2018 in PL2 & Academy
I spotted this article, about changes that will affect the Academy next season. So I thought it a good time to have a 'new season' thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/10/premier-league-academy-teams-english-football-league-trophy-efl

Basically, the 'elite' academies will be entered into the Johnstons Paints Trophy (or whatever it will be called when they get a new sponsor) and will compete with the League 1 and 2 clubs.

It was not agreed unanimously, but I think it is probably a good idea (at least for youth development).

Comments

• It's a good idea I think. I wonder if it will impact on the loan market? Presumably the club would take it seriously, so would players be kept begins to go for the competition?
  • And Declan Rice signs professional terms.

(He won the Young Hammer of the Year/Dylan Tombides award last season)

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/June/29-June/Rice-signs-new-contract
  • Kyle Knoyle goes on loan to Wigan for the season. A good move, hoping he gets games ;clap
  • edited July 2016
    Sam Howes and Reece Oxford in England squad for U19 Euros:

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/July/6-July/Young-Hammers-to-represent-Three-Lions
  • ;clap

11 - 18 July are the group stages.

Some of the group games + all knockout matches will be on Eurosport, according to the UEFA site.

• From the BBC Sportsday feed:
    Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is stepping up his interest in West Ham’s Reece Oxford, according to The Mail.

The Portuguese is said to be preparing a £10m move for the 17-year-old after having him scouted at the Under-19 European Championship.
    No wonder Mourinho is so successful, his scouting team have a time machine, and can go forward in time to see how players do in the future.

(England play tonight...)

Separately, how often are the Mail going to wheel out that 'Man U bid £10m for Reece Oxford' stuff? Have they got it on some kind of Internet loop?
  • It's ok Grey. All their reporting is on a loop ;biggrin
  • edited July 2016
    MrsGrey said:

Some of the group games + all knockout matches will be on Eurosport, according to the UEFA site.

Broadcast schedule confirmed.

England play France tonight 6.30 UK time. On Eurosport 1.

(Its the only England game of the group stages that will be shown.)

http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2016/finals/tv/index.html
  • edited July 2016
    Development squad group for revamped JP Trophy

Southern Group D West Ham, Coventry, Wycombe, Northampton.
  • Coventry ;wahoo
  • AKA, that may be the first time Coventry and 'wahoo' have been used in the same post. ;lol
  • Going to be interesting to see how the changes work and what effect they will have overall. I think the changes are interesting and positive, although its a shame other clubs have decided against entering because the bigger profile clubs would definitely added more glamour and quality to the competition but thats their own prerogative. It will be interesting to see how the FL clubs approach the games- whether they play full strength 11's or if they rotate, secondly how much support there is for the games because, from what i've briefly read, the group stage matches are held during the international breaks, so perhaps the fans will go out and support them rather than England.
  • Where will we be playing our EFL home matches?
  • Answer: Only one of the three group matches will be at home for the invited teams (that's us) and it will be played in the first teams stadium.
  • edited July 2016
    It might also give our 'fringe' players more games as the rules say:

Each participant [must] name six aged 21 or under and the other places may be senior players.
  • I'm gonna try to go to the Wycombe and Coventry games as I've got mates who are fans ;thumbsup
  • edited July 2016
    Aren't you a fan eski? ;wink
  • EFL Trophy dates

w/c 29th August 2016
    Coventry City v West Ham United
    Northampton Town v Wycombe Wanderers

w/c 3rd October 2016
    Wycombe Wanderers v West Ham United
    Coventry City v Northampton Town

w/c 7th November 2016
    Wycombe Wanderers v Coventry City
    West Ham United v Northampton Town
  • Kids got hammered today 6-1 by that Dutch team we have a partnership with. (They play in the Dutch 2nd division)

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/July/30-July/Dev-Squad-beaten-by-strong-Dutch-outfit
  • CULLEN SET FOR BRADFORD

Sky sources understand Bradford are set to sign West Ham midfielder Josh Cullen on a six month loan deal.

The 20-year-old featured for West Ham in their friendly against Juventus yesterday and had a successful loan spell at Bradford last season.

We understand the deal will go through later today
  • I hope not. He needs to be playing Champ or Prem footy this season. He was class yesterday.
  • I hope not. He needs to be playing Champ or Prem footy this season. He was class yesterday.

Totally agree Eski. Would be very disappointed if he went to league one. Best player yesterday, gets sent out on loan, wonder what that does to his confidence ;hmm ;puzzled
  • edited August 2016
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. He clearly enjoyed his time there and it's benefited his career. Bradford clearly enjoyed having him there and it benefited them.

Cullen is currently fifth choice CM behind Noble, Kouyate, Nordtveit and Obiang so probably won't get much game time at all, so six months in a competitive league is much better for him than six months in the U23 league which, from what it looks, is beneath him.

Ok, Championship may have better, but from what I can gather from Cullen and Burke's loans last season, Bradford look after the players and give them game time. I'd rather he played every game in League 1 than sat on the bench at a Championship team ;ok
  • ;ok

It's about so much more than game time and we clearly have a good relationship with Bradford.
  • edited August 2016
    Club twitter confirms loan deal for Cullen to Bradford, 5 months ;ok

Good luck, Josh ;scarf
  • Bring him back when the ACON is running
  • That does seem like coincidental timing for the ACON.

If he has a good run in their time I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get some game time in the second half of the season.

Also, I see what people are saying about being in League One again, but I would say that if he is THAT good then any league football will do him a world of good. Look at Dele Alli.