West Ham give donation to Conservative Party

Regardless of your political views, giving 12,500 quid to the Tories is a disgrace. Why is our club getting involved in politics?

Particularly stupid when other clubs are throwing around accusations of State Aid in regards to the OS.

http://bit.ly/1WPYYWl

Comments

• ;angry

• edited May 2016
    Someone made a very good point on the WHTID FaceBook page; Every time we play Spurs the WH Board send out many missives we [the fans] are representing the club. Any racism, abuse, violence etc. will not be tolerated. Well the Board should also remember that as a club they are representing the fans, and avoid overt statements about their own personal political leanings.

I for one do not want the club linked with a political party especially one who just spent the last year removing benefits from some of society's most vulnerable.

Then there is the 'bribing' the government for the use of he OS. Because this money, well it looks like an old fashioned back-hander.

• I have emailed the club.

It will make zero difference as they never respond.

I was not going to re-apply to the SAB this season but I have changed my mind, I just want to get someone from the club into a room so I can give them a right good dressing down.
  • I agree with most of what you say, suz.

I don't know why/how the club agreed to spend some of its money in this way. The owners and so on - by all means make personal donations to whoever you want to.

On the 'bribe' thing - the Conservative Party had no role in the process, so don't see how it can be seen in that light.
  • Actually, that search function is quite interesting.

Southend FC donated both to the central CP and their local branch. £9000 in total, a few years back.
  • MrsGrey said:

I agree with most of what you say, suz.

I don't know why/how the club agreed to spend some of its money in this way. The owners and so on - by all means make personal donations to whoever you want to.

On the 'bribe' thing - the Conservative Party had no role in the process, so don't see how it can be seen in that light.

Whilst that is true and a FACT ;wink it wont stop the speculation. I'd image 'Charlton Life' exploded with excitement when they saw it.
  • MrsGrey said:

Boris was central to a football team moving into the OS so at least one Conservative certainly was involved. Plus KB was thinking of standing as a Tory candidate in the general election, she addressed the Tory party conference in 2013, Cameron appointed her Small Business Ambassador (whatever that is) and she sits on the Tory benches in the HoL.
  • oh the shame ;weep
  • I'm not entirely sure backhanders are officially reported to the electoral commission... ;wink
  • Hard to stomach given the club is in newham which is one of the poorest areas in the entire country. The telegraph have received quotes from the club saying it is a private entity so it can rightfully choose where it wants to donate/support, but surely given the club represents the community they should see the error of their ways.
  • Shocker from the club.
  • edited May 2016
    TWC, You would hope but I very much doubt it.
  • It's not very often that I feel ashamed to be a West Ham fan but I do today.
  • Agree we shouldn't be giving money to the Eton Toffs or the Red Brigade.

No politics with my sports. ;ok
  • This has upset me more than I can say - how dare they publicise their support for any political party. I support Labour, and have done all my life, and I wouldn't like it if they made donations to them either.
    Its a disgrace - somebody needs to have a word with themselves.
    Trying for a knighthood perhaps ?? (as KB has already been given a title) ;angry
  • Regardless of political allegiances, it seems very difficult to imagine that the club couldn't have spent that money internally to better purpose.
  • Or given it to a local charity
  • I'm a Tory supporter and I don't condone it.

No doubt one of them wanted to do it, and thought instead of paying myself £24,000 and paying tax it on and receiving net £12,500 to donote, I'll save the club ££11,500 and give it direct.

Daft.
  • What seems so odd to me is that the amount involved is so very modest both to the Club and the Conservative Party. The possible benefits (which I fail to understand) seem incredibly small when compared to the flack that has (rightly in my opinion) followed.

Why then was it done? There only seems downsides to all involved and no benefits. Surely someone must have realised this was a no win situation, so why put the Club and themselves in this position? I am completely baffled!

As was mentioned above, there are so many others things they could have done with the money which would have benefitted the Club. If they wanted to make a political donation of such a small amount to men of their wealth, they could easily have done it privately.
  • upos ;ok

It is baffling.
  • Well it is their money to do so as they wish. They also support charities and other good causes. I don't agree with it is their choice.
  • Herb

Of course that is true, it just seems strange to do it with club money.

I'd imagine that privately they give considerably more, both politically and to charity.

• Well, I used that search thingy and got no hits on either of their names.
  • West Ham is a privately run company so in effect it is their own money.
  • I expect the Board would have to give it the ;ok

but I don't know who/how many are on the Board.

Personally, while I recognise that it is their own company, I think it would be better to keep a separation between 'personal' and 'business'.
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/27/west-hams-12500-donation-to-the-conservative-party-raises-seriou/

Comments such as those from the Taxpayers Alliance in this article are exactly why this donation should have been avoided.
  • Need to find out how this happened, and get an apology (or at least an explanation) fast. After the Tevez fiasco, this is the worst public relations gaffe yet. ;angry