Comments

• We signed a FiFa player who will wear West Ham colours as he competes in E Sports tournaments for FIFA games.
  • ;doh

Or is this is a fantastic thing that the club is doing, and I am just showing my age?
  • Good signing that FIFA player! Online e sports are a massive growing industry think I seen a German club bought a player recently good to see us taking a lead in a new market. Very good marketing etc. IMO
  • Wait so we signed a guy who plays FIFA video games

I'm so confused ;puzzled

Is he gonna have to play as west ham and west ham players??

We really gonna pay a lad to wear our strip during these tournament things
  • edited May 2016
    Yep, one of the competitions had 36 million viewers this year and the prize funds are massive, sure the club will make their money back in no time
  • But surely everyone who watches it is a football/fifa fan already so will already have a team

But dayum 30mil people watch other people play FIFA and it's not even one of the big "esports"

So does he have to play with west ham because if he does don't think he's gonna be 2nd best in the world anymore ;whistle
  • edited May 2016
    I think it's other competitions, not just FIFA?

It seems to me it's basically sponsorship.... club gives him some dosh, he wears a WH branded item of clothing in public while doing his thang
  • I just don't understand...
  • Would love to know how much we are paying him

Fair play but I just don't get it

Football fans that like fifa and watch him will already have a favourite football team and the other lads who play the other games probably aren't all that interested in football

Will be interesting to see how it pans out especially given it's apparantly seems quite popular in Europe
  • People make ridiculous amounts of money with this type of thing but not quite sure how much the club get out of it...
  • Exposure.... Not sure why people are so confused in the grand scheme of things it will cost the club barely anything whereas we will get exposure in lots of foreign countries who may have only really thought about the big 4 etc... If it doesn't work then I'm sure it's only a small investment,
  • I'm struggling with this.

So is he technically a WHU player who could be selected for matches, but instead he will play online games in our strip?
  • I just don't understand...

Me neither.
  • edited May 2016

I'm struggling with this.

So is he technically a WHU player who could be selected for matches, but instead he will play online games in our strip?

Here's the report when Wolfsburg signed contracted an e-player.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/06/wolfsburg-david-bytheway-official-fifa-gamer-football-video-games

it refers to clubs employing professional gamers to don its green and white colours and represent it at tournaments.

My take on it is that he's not signed as a football player, in the same way we sign other players. It seems to be that we've given him a job. Although it's presented in 'football speak' so we've 'signed him' and given him a 'squad number'. But he's not really a squad member.

• Obviously he's not a proper squad member haha he's just a geek with talent for FIFA !!
  • Can we pay actors to wear our brands??

The new captain america film will probably make billions of pounds why don't we get Chris Evans to wear west ham merchandise for all his interviews/red carpet walks etc.....genius ;cool
  • Chris Hemsworth in a home shirt.

*faints
  • I think he should get a pre-season game.
  • Should we start him off on GameBoy and see how he gets on?

(GameBoy - is that showing my age?)
  • Nah ..................... a sinclair ZX Grey, that's showing your age ;lol
  • Oh, yes!

Lords of Time and Horace Goes Skiing, and a Scrabble game where the computer asked 'Are you sure that is a word?' and if you said 'Yes' it scored it for you.

Did my first ever coding on a ZX.
  • edited May 2016
    Comodore Amiga cpc 464 with green screen monitor! I could beat anyone at spannerman, bomb jack or daley Thompsons decathlon.
  • My first computer was an Amstrad 2286 - it had 1mb of RAM and a 40 Mb hard disk, I recall a Battle of Britain simulator that was one of most playable air air to combat games I ever played, graphics were terrible but it was really playable.
  • 1mb of RAM, you were lucky!!! Etc etc etc
  • I'm struggling with this.

Bet he's better than Moses...
  • Enter the Dragon

• I recall a Battle of Britain simulator that was one of most playable air air to combat games I ever played

I used to play that, too. BoB by Lucas Arts. My dad and I used to take turns to see who could shoot down more German planes.