OS Confirms signing of Sam Byram (to be known from now on as Brian...)

Comments

• But he hasn't played RB this season by all accounts, more RM and RW so may need to acclimatise.
  • IronHerb said:

Moojar - I disagree. Jenks should be starting every game and showing that he wants to come here permanently. If he can recapture his form then he will have much to offer us.

He just signed a 4 1/2 year contract with Arsenal at the end of last season and we have just bought a RB. If Jenk's wanted to be part of WH then he shouldn't have resigned with Arsenal.

He is not part of our plans for next season and with that in mind we shouldn't be giving him game time in which to improve and get match practice as it were.

• Can't agree mooj.

He's a west ham player, part of the squad.

Match team should be picked on criteria such as performance in training/form/tactics - for footballing reasons, shall we say.

Not how long someone has on their contract.

• Mmmm ;hmm I don't know.

I agree'ish with Moojor... Jenks is a stop gap, not a long term plan. Why give him game time if we have Sam? Why keep Jenks 'match fit' for another club. I've never been happy with loaning him for the second season on the trot anyway.

But, Slav need to pick what he thinks is his best 11 and if that includes jenks at RB then so be it.
  • #teambrian
  • edited January 2016
    I'd say if Brian is as good, then play him (all things being equal).

We have to keep all our players as match fit as poss, surely, in case we need them to play in a match? ;puzzled

Do you think we should (if we can) terminate his loan and send him back now?
  • edited January 2016
    http://www.whufc.com/News/Don-t-Miss/Sam-Byram-Ten-Fast-Facts

According to this he's been playing as a forward ;nonono

---

Dodger, fair enough but I don't agree as it would leave us with a CB still adapting to RB position and not happy getting forward, a Championship player as yet totally untested in the PL, and JOB who has no knees. Not the profile of a club wanting to finish in the lower-middle part of the top half of the table, imo ;whome

• edited January 2016
    Mrs Grey, I agree with you in many ways. But if we take the context of potential game time for JT, Jenks performances to date this season, Jenks no longer being a long term prospect, I'd rather free up the slot to either invest in another longer term prospect (almost for any position) or get short term cover up front.

If we need to clear some wages to bring in what we need, we should move Jenks if possible.

I like Jenks and he did a good job last season, but I couldn't believe we still took him after signing a long term contract with Arsenal - what did he think he was doing?
  • MrsGrey said:

Dodger, fair enough but I don't agree as it would leave us with a CB still adapting to RB position and not happy getting forward, a Championship player as yet totally untested in the PL, and JOB who has no knees. Not the profile of a club wanting to finish in the lower-middle part of the top half of the table, imo ;whome

JO'B has no knees?! ;nonono How does he smell?

No, wait... ;hmm

• JO'B has no knees?! ;nonono How does he smell?

Terrible

;yercoat
  • We are now a club with high ambitions. We are looking to finish "in the lower middle part of the top half of the table" ;lol ;lol ;lol That has made my day.
  • Personally I can't see the point of developing someone else's player when we have our own options.

The tough call is who is the better RB

If you believe Jenks and he will help higher league position the great but no long term solution.

Or Brian, who might not be as good but will help to settle in for next season.

Or Tomkins ;puzzled ;fence
  • I've heard there's a chap called Byram that sounds a bit OK at RB
    Might be worth a punt ;hmm
  • madcap ;biggrin
  • He could make a useful benchman: either subbing for RB or RW/MF. That will give him game time. With Tomkins a useful RB/CB, it gives Slav a lot of flexibility. Meanwhile Wilko (sorry, Jenko) can scan the 'RB wanted' section of the papers. When he's not playing for WHU, that is. I think Jenks will give us 100%, because he loves playing football. Is that clear now??
  • edited January 2016
    I'd be shocked if he isn't starting a game or on the bench after the FA Cup game against Liverpool. Surely Aston Villa. Southampton. Sunderland. Norwich are games Byram should be getting experience from ready for next season.
  • MrsGrey said:

Can't agree mooj.

He's a west ham player, part of the squad.

Match team should be picked on criteria such as performance in training/form/tactics - for footballing reasons, shall we say.

Not how long someone has on their contract.

What about the footballing reason that we have a new player, who at the moment is most likely going to be our starting RB next season and therefore needs to get game time and needs to get use to playing with his team mates.

As I said, I don't think we just drop Jenks and start playing Brian, we start him on the bench and then bring him on if Slav thinks it appropriate. You stick with that for a bit and then you swap to starting him and subbing for Jenks if needed but by the end of the season we have to be happy that Brian can start and finish 90 minutes at a level we expect of him and handle the pressure.

There is no point waiting until next season when we don't have Jenks to suddenly decide that actually he hasn't had enough first team experience.
  • Yeold/Mooj we had no intention of signing him until the summer and he was expected to replace Jenks next season so why should the fact that we've got him in January suddenly make it imperative that he gets game time this season or else he will be too inexperienced. He's played a fair few games in the Champo so is no mug.
  • mooj, I'm closer to agreeing when you put it like that.

I'd still have the prerequisite that he reaches a certain level of performance 1st though, to earn his place on the bench, and if he doesn't, then he doesn't get match time. ;ok

And if that means he ends up having to do it all in pre-season, then so be it.

#nopassengers
  • edited January 2016
    Cause Thorn we are in a good position in the league. It gives him 6 months of playing time so that when we go into next season he has several games under his belt and would have a better understanding of the game. The conditions for us to do this now are perfect.
    How many games did Antonio need before he got running? 3 or 4 and he had being on the bench for 4 months. Rather he take those 3 or 4 dodgy kind of games now than pay for it the start of next season which with all the money floating around will be crucial.
  • I think the thing with this buy is that it is different from the normal Jan buys. Normally teams are looking for players to cover injuries or issues in the team. You don't often go out and buy in Jan for players for next season.
    Prices are always inflated in Jan because teams are normally desperate for whatever position they are looking for, so it's a sellers market.

We on the other hand have bought a player for a position that we currently have cover in (Jenks/Tomkins) but in the knowledge that one of those players will not be here next season.

So on purely based on planning ahead it makes sense to give him as much time as possible to bed in with the team.

Jenks also hasn't been so good this season that we can't afford to not play him.

• Bobby M
    Smarmynez

"We identified Sam Byram as a talent, but in the end it wasn't right for us with the squad we have and not the right move for him either."

Fixed it

;ok
  • edited January 2016

Not quite sure why a guy who has been Leeds first choice RB for years would need U21 minutes. Bit insulting, IMO.

He'll be in the squad tomorrow.

Not ahead of Tomkins, Jenks or the Irish messi he won't

Or he could have a Reido and be set back for a while...
  • For me, we are in the luxurious (at least for us) position of not being desperate for him to play.

If he bowls Slav over in training, fair enough, but otherwise I think there is no harm in biding our time with him.
  • Apparently hes got a first in, last out attitude to training...
    When he gets his chance in the team he's going to be a revelation!
    Dancing around you feel the sweet sensation
    We might be lovers if the rhythm's right
    I hope this feeling never ends tonight
    Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free
    At night I lock the doors, where no one else can see
    I'm tired of dancing here all by myself
    Tonight I want to dance with someone else

Sorry I went a bit off track there ;wahoo ;nonono
  • Congratulations Sam Byram AKA Brian ...for his 1st start being somewhat thrown in after a very early injury to CJ, I thought he did really well ;ok ;footie