Official - some people can't let Sam Allardyce go (counselling available, reasonable fees.)

Comments

• I think I have to get this off my chest.

Big Sam was a boring manager whose team played boring football. His type of football is dead in an era where fans pay a fortune to be entertained .
    Setting up defensively in every game is why the players and fans were unhappy.

If Big Sam thinks we were deluded then can he not see what we were all on about now we have a manager like Bilic?

Bilic will not win every game but he has a personality and a sense of humor unlike Big Sam. He also believes you can win games by actually attacking the other side occasionally.

My advice to Big Sam is to let the past go and carry on making the Sunderland fans as miserable as you did most of the West Ham fans in his last couple of seasons.
    If Bilic loses the next 3 games the moaning will be back in full force regardless of how well fans have taken to him. Doesn't matter if we play "attacking or good football" or how in touch with the fans the manager is. Results trump it all these days.
    Some football manager somewhere once said "the only thing that unites football fans, is winning games"
  • edited October 2015
    The problem with Sam's view is that it is a very simplistic view, and outdated by about 20 years.

His view is that, even if you have 3 shots at home to Stoke and 35% possession, fans should be more than satisfied if it results in a 1-0 win.

It's why, ultimately, he's only ever managed Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham and Sunderland, despite claims he could manage bigger clubs or England, and why he's never won anything. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid manager and his CV in terms of clubs managed is very good, but he will retire a manager who never really achieved anything in the game beyond survival. Of course, he's likely to blame that on other factors unrelated to him.

He is a good manager, and I can see him starting off with a 0-1 win on Saturday and doing well at Sunderland, but clubs like Newcastle and WHU are more historic clubs with traditions. If you want to be your own man, fine, but don't moan when you get a bit of stick. Or don't embarrass yourself and claim you're way is a winning way and then finish the season with 3 wins in 21.

You can try and brush tradition under the carpet and pretend it never existed, or ridicule it, but you will rub certain people up the wrong way by doing so. Can you imagine Klopp going into LFC and dismissing all they stand for?
  • Ye old

I don't agree. if Bilic loses three games . The fans will know he is trying to play good football and that he can change the way he plays and his players.
    Bilic also will not start saying the fans are deluded.

As a West Ham fan you can put up with losing as long as you know the manager and players are trying to win.

It's much better than just trying not to lose every week!!!
  • Ye old

I don't agree. if Bilic loses three games . The fans will know he is trying to play good football and that he can change the way he plays and his players.

As a West Ham fan you can put up with losing as long as you know the manager and players are trying to win.

• edited October 2015
    Hutton

Serious question:

Do you actually believe what you've written about Sam in this thread today, or are you just exaggerating for effect?
  • ^Not that^

A reminder, please, that we don't allow masked swearing, not even if you are quoting from another source.
    Was a copy and paste from an article from the telegraph ;ok
  • Izzy - do you seriously believe one bed-sheet away at WBA and the odd unpleasant chant is a hard time? He was here four years, and for 2.5 he had no problem. Then our results suffered around the Xmas period in the 2013/14 season (which came to a head when we lost 5-0 to Forest when he sent out the U21 side (with a couple of first team players). That form was a lot down to him, when he spent £15m on an injured AC and £6m on Downing, which left us with Maiga and then Cole as forwards.

Last year he also had 0 issues until we started dropping points every week and the performances were poor. When we were in the top 8 in Feb and playing well, nobody moaned. I don't believe social media is an accurate place to assess popularity. You get a lot of loud numpties (kids who are school age etc) and an online poll was probably the worst it got for him, but many on here claimed it was irrelevant.

I stand by he got an easy ride. This was a bloke who even grey admits he used to despise as a manager, who got the gig here and it all went pretty smoothly. He does get very precious over his reputation. I've seen him answer questions very prickly when questioned about long-ball, so I always look at that as an element of 'truth hurts'.
  • At the end of the day he'll always be remembered from football fans as a long ball, arrogant manager who has an ugly approach to the game.

(The general opinion of football fans, not specifically west ham...)
  • edited October 2015
    Totally agree, Luke + Hutton ;ok
  • Wonder how they will line up

Pantilimon

Jones Kaboul O'Shea Van Aanholt

Cattermole M'Vila

Johnson Larsson Defoe/Borini

Fletcher
  • edited October 2015
    Twist

It could come from the Pope for all that matters.

The rules are still the rules, and it helps if people stick to them, rather than expecting someone else to clean up after them.

Luke

But my admission also includes the fact that my opinion of him was based on a lazy acceptance of the general meejah view, rather than any real knowledge of how his teams actually played.

Having watched most of our games over the last three years, I wouldn't accept Twist's or Hutton's valuations of his managerial abilities or personal qualities.

I think to make such general statements you have to ignore an awful lot of what we did over those three years.
  • Mackems scarvab
  • ;diop this thread is better then a episode of Jeremy Kyle llama ;cappuccino

;llama nee ;cake ;coffee
  • The problem with Sam's view is that it is a very simplistic view, and outdated by about 20 years.

His view is that, even if you have 3 shots at home to Stoke and 35% possession, fans should be more than satisfied if it results in a 1-0 win.

It's why, ultimately, he's only ever managed Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham and Sunderland, despite claims he could manage bigger clubs or England, and why he's never won anything. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid manager and his CV in terms of clubs managed is very good, but he will retire a manager who never really achieved anything in the game beyond survival. Of course, he's likely to blame that on other factors unrelated to him.

He is a good manager, and I can see him starting off with a 0-1 win on Saturday and doing well at Sunderland, but clubs like Newcastle and WHU are more historic clubs with traditions. If you want to be your own man, fine, but don't moan when you get a bit of stick. Or don't embarrass yourself and claim you're way is a winning way and then finish the season with 3 wins in 21.

You can try and brush tradition under the carpet and pretend it never existed, or ridicule it, but you will rub certain people up the wrong way by doing so. Can you imagine Klopp going into LFC and dismissing all they stand for?
    I agree with all of this

#CaseClosed
  • Ye old

Sorry cannot agree, i saw after Bournemouth and Leicester the complete meltdown on many forums. People Correlate "not winning" with "not playing attacking / good football." There were Boo's during the Bournemouth game and this was 3 games into the league.
  • As a West Ham fan you can put up with losing as long as you know the manager and players are trying to win
    Question : why did Curbs get BOO'd the?

#YouDontKnowWhatYoureDoing
  • Grey

I believe in everything I say.

What bit has been exaggerated !!
  • Izzy - do you seriously believe one bed-sheet away at WBA and the odd unpleasant chant is a hard time? He was here four years, and for 2.5 he had no problem. Then our results suffered around the Xmas period in the 2013/14 season (which came to a head when we lost 5-0 to Forest when he sent out the U21 side (with a couple of first team players). That form was a lot down to him, when he spent £15m on an injured AC and £6m on Downing, which left us with Maiga and then Cole as forwards.
    In comparison to previous managers, what they did and where they got us from where they were originally...then no I don't believe he got an "easy" ride, like you do.

He was hated by many (rightly or wrongly) the moment he walked in the door, staying around for 4 years just helped some of them to start foaming at the mouth.

He sent out 6 senior players in that game. Why not tell it how it was? Yes it was the wrong selection and the wrong mix, but why not be factual about it? Those senior players were almost as much at fault that day.

An injured AC which was due back 1st week of September, anyone else see a 5% repeat of the injury? Downing who he managed to change (somehow - perhaps it was Teddy) into a revelation for 17 games.

I stand by he got an easy ride. This was a bloke who even grey admits he used to despise as a manager, who got the gig here and it all went pretty smoothly. He does get very precious over his reputation. I've seen him answer questions very prickly when questioned about long-ball, so I always look at that as an element of 'truth hurts'.
    I still argue it was far from an easy ride, did he help himself? Nope and I certainly wouldn't of said or implied some of the things he did.

He plays a direct kind of football, lots of balls in the box playing the %'s and having a Nolan type figure to pick up the bits and pieces, is it long ball? Possibly yes abd that's what rankles with him

;ok
  • Quick ;wave to mrs Bilic if she's reading

We will move on.... I think

Tell your husband to grow back the beard ;ok
  • Slaven

I went to many games and don't remember Curbishley being booed badly and often.

Do you remember it specifically being bad?
  • Hutton

Fair enough, but if you mean what you say then we can only agree to disagree, since our perceptions are so wildly apart it precludes discussion.
  • Grey

Seriously . Who do you think you are asking me if I believe what I say!!

I am free to give my opinion which a number of others agree with , a fair few it would seem .

Why do you take such a dim view of others that don't agree with your view? I sometimes think you watch a different team to most on here .

Just because people don't have the same view as you does not make them wrong.

• Bilic is very grounded, that's one of the things I like most about him. Even after the extraordinary away efforts he did not get carried away. And on the flip side, he took full responsibility for the European exit. Very admirable qualities in both victory and defeat.
  • Hutton

Not sure why you feel the need to get shirty.

Same as you, I'm entitled to say what I think.

I asked it as a genuine quesiton, not to be snide.

Now I know what you think, I know we have nothing to say to each other on this matter.
  • I bet Abramovuc wishes his manager entertains as much as ours does
  • Slaven

I went to many games and don't remember Curbishley being booed badly and often.

Do you remember it specifically being bad?
    Derby 2-1 home win

"you don't know what you're doing"

"BOO"

#GreatestFansInTheWorld
  • I see the "Circle" managed to get the Agree/CMU's counters all working nicely, two and three for one type deals............for certain users.

;whistle
  • Grey

I am free to give my opinion which a number of others agree with , a fair few it would seem .

Mate, don't be fooled.

That's just the "database".............there's a switch for that, looks like it's being flipped one way or the other all day.

#Circle
  • Ha ha someone just went in and gave "Like" his seventh agree.....

#Circle
    #DatabaseFix