Official - some people can't let Sam Allardyce go (counselling available, reasonable fees.)

So, I closed all the other threads and have started a combo poll and chat thread.

Poll results – voting ended 20.04.15 - (80 votes in total)

Should Samuel Allardyce get a new contract at the end of the season?
1. Yes - 43.75%
2. No - 40.00%
3. I would review at the end of the season - 16.25%

A new poll has been added to this thread as it might be interesting to see if opinion has changed.

Comments

• Uh oh!

Usual Sun headline, does he actually say they moaned? Anyone got a a copy?

IMG_20151011_054410
  • edited October 2015
    Why do you need to see a copy?

You KNOW they moaned ;lol

Of course he won't miss them - who would?
  • I know (some) MOANED.

I want to see if HE ACTUALLY SAID they did.
  • http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/10024893/sam-allardyce-feels-loved-after-warm-sunderland-welcome

And the 61-year-old, who had to put up with 'Allardyce out' campaigns from some supporters during his time at Newcastle and West Ham, admits it makes a pleasant change to feel wanted.
    "When I was at West Ham my wife would constantly read the supporters' websites to see what new insults were being fired. It upset her but she couldn't keep away from the screen.

"Now she's been reading the Sunderland fans' sites and she tells me the reaction has been very positive,
  • The Sunderland fans haven't seen their team play under Allardyce yet. I wonder what those fans sites will be saying in six months time ;hmm
  • Wow!

Can we have a look and see if any new users joined.....last few years....possible "allardyce" somewhere in the email address?

My money is on M_H as the disguise.

AKA "Mrs Hippo"

(obviously not meant as a jibe at her of course)
  • Izzy ;ok

The Sun is a subscription only site.

Here is another direct quote, reported elsewhere (the Star) and I guess is from the same interview

... "It's nice to be loved, but at West Ham and Newcastle I was faced by passionate fans that made themselves heard if they weren't happy.

"It wasn't just me at West Ham, it was every manager that was there. I got it because I was manager at that time, but before that they moaned about Avram Grant, Alan Curbishley, Alan Pardew and Harry Redknapp."

So by implication, yes.
  • http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11695/10024893/sam-allardyce-feels-loved-after-warm-sunderland-welcome
    So he does mention "moaning", thanks ;ok

Can't argue with what he says there.

Trouble is.....the "moaning" piece will take a precedent over "passionate fans".

• It may well be true, but I still don't like his choice of words.

If things went south with Bilic and he got the same treatment, I can't see him retaliating in the way Allardyce does.
  • Wonder if BFS mentions the near constant sell outs at home and the unrelenting support away from home in both the PL and championship.... ;hmm ;hmm ;hmm
  • The Sunderland fans haven't seen their team play under Allardyce yet. I wonder what those fans sites will be saying in six months time ;hmm
    Probably something like.....

"Can't believe we're 14th and getting results.....5 clean sheets....if we can just give him some money in the summer, we may push on"

;whistle
  • Wow!

Can we have a look and see if any new users joined.....last few years....possible "allardyce" somewhere in the email address?

AKA "Mrs Hippo"

Coo eee ;wave

I am Mrs Allardyce. He drives me up the wall at home so I had to come on here and release some anger.

The hippo is looking at me now across the room while eating his 'bacon butty' with sauce all round his mouth.

#AllardyceOut
  • It may well be true, but I still don't like his choice of words.

If things went south with Bilic and he got the same treatment, I can't see him retaliating in the way Allardyce does.
    And there we probably have the issue OCS.

What he says isn't really wrong, perhaps the way he says it and comes across?

If Bilic said that.......

The wors "passionate" would be the first word many would see, and probably ignore the rest.

#perception

• What he says isn't really wrong, perhaps the way he says it and comes across?

Which is in part determined by how it is reported.

#pre-determinednarrative
  • Wonder if BFS mentions the near constant sell outs at home and the unrelenting support away from home in both the PL and championship.... ;hmm ;hmm ;hmm
    Just because we have a very loyal fan base, doesn't mean he wasn't subject to moaners (some of it unreasonable? Some of it justified?)

He could easily say that the footie wasn't as bad as some made out then.....you kept handing over your "hard earned" right?
  • Izzy, I don't think Bilic would use negative words like 'moaners', so I don't think it's even a case of perception ;ok
  • edited October 2015
    I never really understand why people can allow fans to give any kind of dog's abuse they like to managers or players, whilst at the same time expecting those same managers or players to retain a dignified silence on the matter.

He hasn't come out and slated all West Ham fans, he's mentioned, in passing, how the abuse he got on forums affected his wife.

Maybe that's a wake-up call to some, (not on this forum) to remember that managers and players have the same feelings as the rest of us, as do their families, and that their position should not give carte-blanche to certain fans to spew their poisonous bile on them.

Of course, people who spew that sort of bile aren't really going to care if they upset someone else, so that's the problem, right there.
  • Izzy, I don't think Bilic would use negative words like 'moaners', so I don't think it's even a case of perception ;ok
    What's he going to say then OCS? he's right we had a section who gave those managers a torrid time, he's actually toned it down from what happened in reality.

Believe me....in many many of our fans (not necessarily on here).....it was perception, from day 1.

;ok
  • I never really understand why people can allow fans to give any kind of dog's abuse they like to managers or players, whilst at the same time expecting those same managers or players to retain a dignified silence on the matter.

He hasn't come out and slated all West Ham fans, he's mentioned, in passing, how the abuse he got on forums affected his wife.

Maybe that's a wake-up call to some, (not on this forum) to remember that managers and players have the same feelings as the rest of us, as do their families, and that their position should not give carte-blanche to certain fans to spew their poisonous bile on them.

Of course, people who spew that sort of bile aren't really going to care if they upset someone else, so that's the problem, right there.
    ^^THIS^^

IMG_20150205_113252
  • I would be delighted to know that Mrs Sam might have been reading my comments that her husband was unambitious and inept in his team selection and tactics, that under him we played the most defensive, uninspiring football I have ever seen from West Ham and that I will never forget watching one match where I actually wanted the opposition to equalise. Good riddance.
  • Wow!

AKA "Mrs Hippo"

Coo eee ;wave

I am Mrs Allardyce. He drives me up the wall at home so I had to come on here and release some anger.

The hippo is looking at me now across the room while eating his 'bacon butty' with sauce all round his mouth.

#AllardyceOut
    IMG_20150917_132548
  • edited October 2015
    puddleglum

It's only a pity you missed the first half of last season.

And lucky for you you missed:

Most of Avram Grant's games.

And the period under the Scottish Manager.
  • I would be delighted to know that Mrs Sam might have been reading my comments that her husband was unambitious and inept in his team selection and tactics, that under him we played the most defensive, uninspiring football I have ever seen from West Ham and that I will never forget watching one match where I actually wanted the opposition to equalise. Good riddance.
    Wanting the opposition to score.....

And you've questioned anything that SA may have done (or not done) at our club?

Sorry but....
    IMG_20150824_121826
  • edited October 2015
  • edited October 2015
    Wonder if BFS mentions the near constant sell outs at home and the unrelenting support away from home in both the PL and championship.... ;hmm ;hmm ;hmm
    Just because we have a very loyal fan base, doesn't mean he wasn't subject to moaners (some of it unreasonable? Some of it justified?)

He could easily say that the footie wasn't as bad as some made out then.....you kept handing over your "hard earned" right?
    Every single club has moaners and so many modern fans are very impressionable....I have never and will never boo, generally speaking I have always backed the managers +pleaded for a long term view, and even though I didnt like BFS i like to think I never went personal in my criticisms, but was able to voice my criticisms in a respectful/structured way (hope mrs Allardyce enjoyed those ;lol ;lol ;lol ).

The point I was making is that at WHUFC he received alot of backing in every game from the WHUFC fans home and away, regardless of what league we were in; so perhaps it would have been more appropriate to try to defuse the situation by focusing on that aspect rather than continue to stir things up and drag the saga on. BFS only needs to take a quick look at other clubs in the championship to see how decimated attendances can be with relegation.

I have always stated that IMO BFS is more suited for the unfashionable clubs, whereby the lack of values and identity is more acceptable. At the more fashionable clubs (which arnt challenging for trophies) there are different demands and is a different culture, the fans expect more than whatever the result is at the end of 90 minutes. Me personally....I am looking forward to this seasons end of season awards because for the majority under BFS they were pretty much irrelevant and defunct; because there was little to no care towards performances, only a results only approach. I am not going to slate BFS, he does exactly what you hire him to do and when you hire him you buy into his approach; however for WHU I dont believe it was right.

• You could be right TWC.....perhaps he should've said about our loyal fanbase and travelling army that he regularly applauded when leaving the dugout

Instead he chose to mention our "passionate fans"

;ok
  • According to Richard Keys (who really can't let it go.....) we'll still end up scrambling this season under Slaven and we've hit more long balls than last year.

Probably because our range of passing is better than any previous hoof?
  • Richard Keys. A man whose opinions are to be respected.

Oh no, that's right...
  • Richard Keys is a scumbag
  • Richard Keys and Sam are best mates.