American Election Discussion

Comments

• Yeold - https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/tax-plan
    The bigest one here is the drop in the business tax rate - 35% to 15% this is an amazing stimulus for small businesses to grow & invest in more employees & new technology
  • Unfortunately Obama could never get anything done because the Senate and Congress blocked everything. The thing is although the Republicans have the majority in both houses, I don't see a wall going up or Muslims being banned happening at all.
  • In the private sector in the US he is one of the biggest employers of women, LGBT's, Latinos and non white Americans. Some of the things he said during his campaign was rhetoric and designed to appeal to certain sections. Some of the things Clinton said were also designed to do the same.
    The Clinton Foundation is still under investigation for fraud and I'm sure this had a bearing on the outcome.
    I wonder had Trump been a democrat and Clinton republican there would be the same vitriol on here.
  • Preston I would be interested to learn what Obama wanted that he didn't get?
  • Well,I'm not old enough to remember the Cuban Missile Crisis but I reckon this is the most dangerous thing to have happened in my lifetime.
    I was 15 in 1979 & I remember feeling scared that the US had elected Reagan.Fast forward to my mid 30s & I was terrified when they elected Bush( & we all know what his 'war on terror' legacy has done for the world). I really didn't think it could get any worse but it has. This man has no redeeming features as a human being but as a president he has access to nukes,is a mysogynist, a racist & climate change denier among other things & he makes Bush look like a reasonable human being.
    How did it happen? Well,this is probably for the Brexit thread as well but largely because large sections of the population have been ignored by the elite in the Democratic Party (read Labour Party in Britain) & have little or no future in the post industrial west. Throw immigration into the equation & then add a right wing populist 'politician' like Trump or Farage & you've got part of the answer. Then add a nasty Murdoch led right wing media & the answer becomes clearer.
    There's also Le Pen in France, Wilders in Holland & don't get me started on the Jobbik party in Hungary.
    We are living in dangerous times.
  • edited November 2016
    thornbury, I'm not sure what 'vitriol' you mean?

Do you mean the words like racist and bigot and misogynist... that have been applied to someone has (irrespective of the political party they belong to) by his own words and actions, demonstrated these attitudes?

The fact that certain groups of people are employed by his companies in no way at all proves that he is not prejudiced against them.

I personally find your implication insulting, that I would not call out racism, bigotry and misogyny if it was exhibited by a Democrat? And, by extension, that I am a hypocrite.

• I wonder had Trump been a democrat and Clinton republican there would be the same vitriol on here.
    I guess I have more respect than you do for the users on here, thornbury.

I'd always assume that people would respond honestly to what they heard and saw.

I don't really understand why you don't assume that.
  • Simon he's on tape bragging about it.

• simonc said:

Preston I would be interested to learn what Obama wanted that he didn't get?

Close Guantanamo.

Blocked by Congress (among others).
  • misogynist? Trump expressed a dislike for Hillary and Rosie o'Donnell and defended himself against a politically motivated former Miss World how does that make him a misogynist, all these words are very easy to throw around and very hard to defend against. Especially when statements are purposefully taken out of context by headline seeking biassed media.
  • edited November 2016
    Misogyny - an attitude towards women that can be exhibited n various ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.

Seems pretty clear to me.
  • Suzanne he is also on tape denying it - Saying it and doing it are two different things
  • edited November 2016
    simonc said:

Especially when statements are purposefully taken out of context by headline seeking biassed media.

Erm, didn't you a few posts back imply approval for Trump who made various outrageous statement to grab the headlines and get free publicity?

Now all of a sudden it is the press who are 'headline seeking'???
  • Maybe vitriol was too strong a word and I do respect that the vast majority of posters are responding as honestly as they can but some of the things said on here seem to me to be way over the top. For example to say he has no redeeming features as a human being is not something I would say as I don't personally know the man. I do know he is a very astute business man and from what I can gather an extremely generous employer. My niece who runs a hotel in Vancouver once worked for him.
    What sort of president he will make we will no doubt find out but I doubt he will be worse than Clinton would be.

• Good point MrsGrey and it worked unfortunately the down side is that some people believe these ridiculous headlines
  • I feel that anyone who wants to 'defend themselves against a politically motivated' critic (Miss World or otherwise) should address the issues they raise and attempt to disprove or counter them.

I'm not so impressed by the tactic of making up and publishing lies about a 'sex tape' in an attempt to discredit her.

#misogyny
  • Yep he is so astute that he has been bankrupt 4 times.
  • simonc

He is on tape, without any possibility of denial, saying denigrating and demeaning things about women.

His 'apology' for this amounted to dismissing it as 'locker room talk' - which so outraged a number of professional sportsmen in the US that they took pains to point out that sort of talk would not be acceptable in their locker room.

That isn't sensationalised press stories, it is what happened.

It makes it, at least for me, easier to believe the claims other women have made about him, as it fits a pattern.
  • Preston - Good place to get your news - Totally Unbiased ;lol
  • Sometimes going bankrupt is astute. How many football teams are around that have gone bankrupt and then re-emerged under a slightly different name.
    I very much doubt that he or his current businesses have no money.
  • I do know he is a very astute business man

Astute enough to bankrupt 6 businesses, and stiff people on his debts.
  • I note California and the west coast saw Trump coming and so legalised marijuana to help themselves get over it. ;lol
  • I reckon the Americans voted Trump to distract us Brits from the Tobelerone scandal

;biggrin
  • Any speculation/predictions as to how his approach to Afghanistan, and his chumminess with Putin, will impact in eastern Europe, Syria and the wider region and if it will exacerbate the problem of refugees and migrants coming to Europe fleeing war and violence?

• Grey as i already stated "I would not hold up Trump or Hillary as role models on ethics" She is just as bad or worse than him simply in different ways,
  • edited November 2016

Sometimes going bankrupt is astute.

I very much doubt that he or his current businesses have no money.

Yes. Perhaps not as much as those who he owed money to, obviously.

Of course, he was born with a sliver spoon in his mouth. And inherited some $40m from his (German immigrant) dad.
  • simonc said:

Yeold - https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/tax-plan
    The bigest one here is the drop in the business tax rate - 35% to 15% this is an amazing stimulus for small businesses to grow & invest in more employees & new technology

It will provide a deemed repatriation of corporate profits held offshore at a one-time tax rate of 10 percent

;lol bit flawed when you are having to do this to entice someone like apple back essentially telling them you can get away with it this one time ;)

So essentially make an offshore account then use your one time 10 percent deduction off your 15% for a 5% tax lol