Ryder Cup 2016

Interesting first day...

Comments

• The Ryder Cup

USA 4-0 EUR ;nonono ;weep
  • Expected the US to win overall, but that was a very, very disappointing set of matches. Mostly, the US didn't have to do anything much. Mickleson sprayed the ball all over the place, and they still won.
  • It's not good.
  • I dont know a great deal about golf but I know a whooping when I see one.
  • If Justin Rose tossed a coin at the moment, it would miss the floor...
  • we will end up 5-3 down after the fourballs so im not worried now
  • Terrific comeback by Europe.

Excellent response from Rory and Justin Rose after poor mornings. Brilliant debuts for Cabrera-Bello and Pieters.
  • Despite feeling that the article by Danny Willett's brother was very overdone with the sterio-typing of American fans, I don't remember the behaviour of them as being as bad in previous years as it was yesterday. So many calls for "in the water" and the like as soon as shots were hit, yells of "miss it" for putts, even during backswings on occasion, very poor imo.
  • Agreed Buffy,

I was fuming with that, I don't remember the European fans acting that way, at least as often as the US fans were yesterday..
  • This crowd is noisy when they're winning, but not nasty when they're losing. But you wait til Day 3...... Darren Clarke has made some odd choices: Westwood, Kamer for example. Maybe he's a contender for the soon-to-be-vacant West Ham manager's job ;whistle
  • edited October 2016
    Oops, wrong thread.
  • Picking Westwood was a ridiculous decision
  • This is really exciting!
  • ;lol

Grey just settling down to watch. I won't see him until tomorrow.
  • edited October 2016
    It will finish way after my bed time.

How long can I stay awake?
  • After YOUR bedtime? We are UK + 2hrs.

• ;nonono

Late one for MrG
  • Don't know if they're going to play all matches to a finish or come in as soon as the USA win.
    Can't understand why they are so much better at putting than us. Is it down to practice as it can't be just because it's a US course as most if not all Europeans play over there.
  • I fear that it will be all over before then, It looks like the US are going secure it quite comfortably this time around.

At one point it looked like Europe would make a close game of it but it may be beyond them.

I was lucky enough to go to the Medina Ryder cup in 2012 - it was amazing but I do not think that the MIricle of Medina is going to happen again today
  • Thorn, I am very amature at the game so of course I am talking from a very very different level indeed, but generally speaking, the greens over here are far faster than comparable courses in Europe.

• Agreed but most if not all of the Europeans play the US tour so should be used to them.
  • Whoever is yelling 'in the hole!' Must be dealt with.

;angry
  • edited October 2016
    thorn

Although most of the Europeans play tournaments in the US, they have to be members of the European tour, and play a minimum number of European tournaments, to be eligible to represent Europe in the Ryder Cup, so they probably don't play in the US quite as much as you may think. Captain's picks may be exempt from this (honestly can't remember), but that's only a couple out of the 12.

The putting has made all the difference though imo.
  • McIIroy hasn't given us the start we needed. He's been outplayed by Reed really. Must be the $11,500,000 cheque in his back pocket.
  • Heading for a minimum 17-11 win for them.
  • You kind of know if they have a putt within 40 feet it's almost a gimme. They rarely miss.
  • McIIroy hasn't given us the start we needed. He's been outplayed by Reed really. Must be the $11,500,000 cheque in his back pocket.

Harsh.
  • edited October 2016
    It was tongue in cheek. Reed has been on fire all weekend really except for one set of 4 balls. Friday's very poor foursomes did for us.
  • If I was Willett when I got home I would wrap a driver around his brothers head. He's ruined this for him.
  • The idiots in the crowd would still be idiots even if his brother hadn't wrote it. In fact the article just proved he was right.