The Legacy (Upton Park without West Ham)

One of the barmaids down my local works at the Victoria, she mentioned this article

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/upton_park_s_iconic_pubs_at_risk_as_revenue_and_customers_dwindle_following_west_ham_move_1_4677387

Better go for a pint down the Boleyn Tavern before they turn it into flats

Comments

• I believe traders stressed their fears last year about the loss of revenue. Home match virtually made them a months money in 6 hrs.....
  • The Boleyn won't miss out as they have arranged a shuttle service between there and the ground and back again for £120 per season for customers!
  • dee - the lady who told me about this said she'd heard the shuttle service idea had been scrapped because they didn't get enough people signing up for it. Does anyone know otherwise?
  • edited September 2016
    Just added a bit to the thread title to make it clearer.

(I thought you were going to tell us you'd inherited a fortune, Aslef ;wink )
  • An interesting read. Doesn't sound all gloom and doom, although clearly some businesses don't seem to be adapting to the new circumstances very well.
  • and it's not like they were given any notice either.
  • Suze - it wouldn't have mattered how much notice they were given, their main source of revenue was match days, take those away and there aren't any alternative sources of revenue.

They're probably too far from Manor Park and Forest Gate stations to benefit from the influx of "hipsters" anticipating the arrival of Crossrail in 2018 and if they don't get enough trade without West Ham nearby then they will close down.
  • I am sympathetic, but they built there businesses on the back of the club.

• Suze - Boleyn's been there since 1899, five years before we moved there and there's been a pub on the site of the Black Lion since 1742. Possibly they would have closed down earlier had it not been for the club but they can't move the actual building somewhere else
  • ASLEF

I thought the landlord of the Black Lion suggested he thought they would cope?

Whilst I don't like to see anyone struggle, I don't really have any sympathy with the business owners who are losing out, and even less with those who seem to think the club owed them a living.
  • Grey - the Black Lion is probably the only one that will survive thanks to its rep as a real ale pub and the proximity to the Tube but for the others the future is pretty grim.

I didn't read anywhere that they thought the club owed them a living, they're just being realistic that with the club gone there's nothing to replace it so business is going to suffer. Maybe business will pick up once the stadium is redeveloped into housing but some businesses may have to close down before then.
  • If they knew their main source of revenue was home match days, then surely they've had a couple of years' notice?
  • SHF - what are they supposed to do about it? Move the Boleyn brick by brick 3 miles down the road? I doubt if Nathan's could afford to rent in Westfield, maybe they could afford to rent in the Stratford Centre but it wouldn't be cheap to relocate.
  • ASLEF

There was nothing like that in the interview linked, but I have seen that attitude in other pieces (maybe it's just my take.)
  • edited September 2016
    Grey - I'd not heard anything until I was chatting to the lady who works at my local and also at the Victoria. Apparently the couple that run it believe that business was down for the Bournemouth match because it was a Sunday and it was on TV so they'll have four staff behind the bar tomorrow but she's not expecting to be busy.
  • SHF - what are they supposed to do about it? Move the Boleyn brick by brick 3 miles down the road? I doubt if Nathan's could afford to rent in Westfield, maybe they could afford to rent in the Stratford Centre but it wouldn't be cheap to relocate.

Very sad news
  • West Ham Supporters Club launch their rescue mission

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham/west-ham-supporters-club-launch-their-rescue-mission-1-5242495

It seems the Castle Street building has been closed since 30th September as its in a bad state. They've opened a bar on matchdays for Supporters Club members at Stour Space, Roach Road, just along from the Truman Brewery.