Music Of Your Youth

I've been culling my LP and CD collection to clear some space. The question that most frequently arose was "What on earth possessed you to spend money on that?".

So:
Something you bought thinking it was good but now realise is pants
Something you bought and have forgotten how good it was
Something you wish you'd bought and never did

Comments

• edited September 2016
    I bought this when it first came out and I still listen to it from time to time...

• To answer my own questions:
    Manowar. Grown men wearing hairy nappies on stage while waving dummy swords. I don't think I would now recommend any of their records but certainly a hugely funny concert experience which probably cost me a good part of my hearing.

Jess Roden..

Dr. Feelgood. Never quite got it at the time and only bought one LP on the cheap..
  • This I do not listen to. It's my 'what on earth was I thinking'.

• Still listen to most of my early music influences and still think they are pretty good - some examples

Joe Jackson
    Grahem Parker
    Elvis Costello
    Rush
    David Bowie
    Phil Collins
    AC/DC
    And yes of course, Dr Feelgood and WIlko Johnson

Among my "something bought back then and forgot how good they were" is Supertramp

My main regret was that The Rolling Stones somehow passed me by, I always had a couple of albums but did not see them until 2005.

I do not tend to listen much to Yes and ELO any more, although I recall raving about them at the time.

Interesting question, brought back some nice memories

;ok
  • edited September 2016
    Something you bought and have forgotten how good it was:

Whenever I hear The Streets I always think dayum I should be listening to this more often.

Now lets put on our classics and have a little dance shall we ;handbag ;quaver
  • Chicago ;wave

I still listen a lot to the earlier yes albums,The yes album,close to the edge,relayer etc but i have always been an old progger at heart.
    I saw them two years ago at the royal albert hall and although they look old their musicianship just gets better.

My music taste now is very eclectic but rap and the modern commercialized pop music is not for me
  • Suz ;ok love action what a great tune. ;biggrin
  • I still listen to The Clash,Jam & Pistols all these years later & they make as much sense to me now as they did then. Anyway,re the questions.
    1) Difficult this,probably a single by someone like the Barron Knights when I was about 10
    2) I have a massive collection of music so any number of albums or tracks that I haven't played in a while.I suppose my current one in this category would be the Cock Sparrer single Runnin' Riot which seems to be getting a lot of plays at the moment(for those who don't know,Cock Sparrer are West Ham through & through)
    3) Again,a difficult one because I really do have just about everything that I've ever wanted but I'll say the first Dexys album,Searching For The Young Soul Rebels.It passed me by at the time & I didn't get it until years later.
    My tastes are eclectic though.I'm a massive fan of Soul,particularly Northern Soul,Reggae,Ska,Punk,Glam,80s Indie,classic 60s,Blues,Country,basically anything which I deem worth listening to. In fact,confession time now-music is the only thing that I prefer over football!
  • I bought Hergest Ridge, the follow up to Mike oldfield's tubular bells, the day day it came out. Not sure I ever played it all the way through, and I still think now that I could have spent that £3.50 more wisely.
    I played George Harrison's concert for Bangladesh a couple of weeks ago after being reminded about it on a TV programme, and realised I need to download it and keep it accessible at all times.
    I really wish I had bought anarchy in the uk on EMI when it first came out, and had kept it in pristine condition, cos those are fetching some serious coin these days. I think I bought Status Quo wild side of life instead. The mysteries of youthful exuberance.
  • Madrid, cocksparrer East End Girl is a classic in my book.
  • I left a lot of LPs, cassettes & cds behind in my various moves, and the duff ones have gone. I'm with Madridhammer - picked up different influences in all my travels, have no problem with any music apart from pretentious and poseur stuff. But every time I hear a Stax album it sounds as fresh as back then. I wish I'd bought more Kenyan music as a kid, especially the Maroon Commandoes.
    I could tell you exactly when & where I bought every record, from age 9 on: different experience from ordering on the net. Kids don't know what they missed... ;whistle
  • Joy and Jennifer - Six songs from six countries
    Osibisa - Woyaya
    Songs in the key of life - Stevie Wonder

• Osibisa! Wow! Saw them at the Roundhouse in Dagenham when the present Mrs IH and I were teenagers. The headline band dropped out and so Osibisa stood in. Tremendous concert.
  • I'm proud to say that the first 7" single I bought with my 10th birthday money was "Hot Love" by T Rex. I'm not quite so proud to say that at the same time I bought "My sweet Lord" by George Harrison
  • I'm proud to say that the first 7" single I bought with my 10th birthday money was "Hot Love" by T Rex. I'm not quite so proud to say that at the same time I bought "My sweet Lord" by George Harrison

I think I was must have been a year or so behind you. The first singles I bought were "Metal Guru" by T.Rex and something by Chicory Tip which made such an impression that I can't even remember what it was called. It wasn't "Son Of My Father" and I can't be bothered looking it up on Wiki to find out the title.

First LP: "Everybody's In Showbiz" by The Kinks which I still have, complete with the huge scratch which makes side 4 unplayable. It has, however, survived the cull.

• Chicory Tips other hit was Good grief Christina. ;wahoo
  • My first LP was "Mother Focus" by Focus
  • My first LP was "Mother Focus" by Focus

Was that the one that involved flute solos and a yodelling Dutchman? I gave it a miss at the time and don't care to be reminded of it now some 40 years later.

• The first album I bought was Band on the Run, which I played endlessly on our Decca monogram. Was startled when I first heard it in stereo, and still find it very listenable.

The first single was Slade, Cum on Feel the Noise.

My sister worked next door to Island Records, and the lads from the factory used to leg it over the wall to pick up discarded LPs from the skips, and share them out.

Had lots of Cat Stevens as a result, and Uriah Heep, the only Heavy Metal band I ever really listened to.

Bought their album Salisbury Plain, after really liking Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble, and found it pretty much unlistenable.

Missed Carole King's 'Tapestry' when it first came out, and only got it a few years ago. My loss.
  • edited September 2016
    What a coincidence Grey !

I was really lucky - my Dad's best mate's mum worked at the pressing plant for Island and Chrysalis records. Any quality control issues, and they used to throw the records away to be reprocessed, usually things like wonky labels, or sleeve print issues etc.
    She used to get them for me for 10p each ( this was in 1970), but I had to take what was offered, so it immediately gave me a really eclectic taste. Everything from Cat Stevens to Mott the Hoople, Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention, Quintessence - I could go on.
    The first record I bought in a shop was '54 46 was my number' - Toots and the Maytals
    First Album - Led Zep 3 - brilliant cover

Happy Days ;cool
  • edited September 2016

Uriah Heep, the only Heavy Metal band I ever really listened to.

Bought their album Salisbury Plain, after really liking Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble, and found it pretty much unlistenable.

You must have been in a minority of one. Everyone else found it totally unlistenable.

If you want Heavy then search for "Defender" by Manowar with narration by none other than Orson Welles. Citizen Kane, War Of The Worlds were just leading up to what surely must be the pinnacle of his career.
  • ade

Very 'Easy aside, I've never taken to Heavy Metal. Just a lot of thrashing noise and guitar onanism imo.

I file it with rap, under A for avoid.

• ade

Very 'Easy aside, I've never taken to Heavy Metal. Just a lot of thrashing noise and guitar onanism imo.

I file it with rap, under A for avoid.

You've just reminded me of Voivod, one metal band which would be better filed under A than V.

As for Manowar and "Defender" the last word has to go with Orson:
    "Ride fast the wind. Stay proud, my son. You are the defender". The only disappointment is that he doesn't then break into song although most people I know have already been reduced to tears by that point.
  • edited September 2016
    BBB, I hope you've destroyed everything by Cat Stevens (search his comments about Salman Rushdie)

I just bought my youngest daughter some music which had the most effect on me

Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On"
    Stevie Wonder - (so many to choose from) "Songs In The Key Of Life"
    Joni Mitchell - (again so so many to choose from) " Hejira" (listen to Refuge of the Road for sheer poetry and, but then all her songs are. That song always reminds me of Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat)
    Joni Mitchell - "Court and Spark"
  • Correction _ ;biggrin

Not Tortilla Flat, but Cannery Row