Post Transfer Window reflections

Comments

• Agree with Champo. I think this was a season where we had to bolster our squad more than improve our first 11, so that when we have injuries or when we're struggling in a game we have those other options. On paper, we have some of the best attacking options in the league, especially the wingers and AMs.
  • Also just read Mersons trasnfers grades what a load of drivel

Gave Bournemouth a B+, and trashes Sunderland for getting good young player but ignoring the fact bournemouth have bought younger players

Chelsea an A+ despite Alonso not being very good, Luiz awful and Batshuayi raw but Kante is enough to warrant an A+....erm what about Payet staying

WBA get a C despite making a total of 3 signings....WBA fans are sure they are going mental

Everton got a B+ despite again only making Williams and Bolasie (who isn't even that good)....once again Everton fans are going mad about their business

We kept Payet, bought in a few forwards in particular Zaza, some class wingers, and cover for midfield and full back
  • Apologies if this has already been said, but...

I am pleased with our business overall. I think our squad looks far better quality overall, we have replaced squad players with players good enough for the first XI in a few instances (Valencia for Zaza, Tomkins for Arbeloa, Moses for Feghouli, etc), so it's been a good window for me.

However, when I look at what I now believe to be our strongest XI (Adrian, Byram, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Kouyate, Antonio, Lanzini, Payet, Zaza), I'm slightly disappointed that we haven't improved the first XI at all.
  • Merse is the poor man's Lawro...
  • Merse sounds a bit like Luke.
  • Merse is the poor man's Lawro...

High praise indeed...
  • I believe Twonkette is the term you're looking for.....
  • edited September 2016
    alderz said:

However, when I look at what I now believe to be our strongest XI (Adrian, Byram, Reid, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Noble, Kouyate, Antonio, Lanzini, Payet, Zaza), I'm slightly disappointed that we haven't improved the first XI at all.

To put a slightly more positive spin, if you think that Lanzini was only on loan, it's an improvement in that we have a perm player now in the 1st XI so that makes our first team less vulnerable. And we've improved it in the sense that now Antonio will be safe in his best position, which makes our 1st XI stronger..... and Zaza is new.

Are you feeling cheered up yet? ;pray
  • But Lanzini was signed permanent in March so including his spend is a bit of spin imo.
  • When I look at that list of business we have done this summer what comes across is that we seemed to adopt a strategy of creating depth as we would be contesting the Europa league, the problem now is that we are out. The consequence is as some have pointed out that the first eleven has not overly been strengthened too much, although Zaza could and should be a significant help with that.

I am wondering where the likes of Tore, Nordvet and Calleri are going to get chances, and to be honest there may not be too many chances for them in earlier cup rounds if their performances against astra are anything to go by. I think the Plan was definitely to stay in Europe but through bad luck with injuries and the striker business done too late we didn't progress, had Europa not have been in the equation our business may have looked different.
  • C&B ;ok We would've effectively had two teams; one for the Premier League and one for cup competitions and Europa. That way the likes of Obiang, Nordtveit, Calleri, Oxford et al would have got game time.

Unfortunately, with one major competition down already those players will be kicking their heels for most of the season.
  • IronHerb said:

But Lanzini was signed permanent in March so including his spend is a bit of spin imo.

I think it may have been agreed in March but couldn't happen until the window opened - so it does form part of this Windows business. Although, of course, I could be wrong!!
  • c&b / bro

spot on ;ok
  • Given the luck or lack of we have with injuries I'm sure they'll get lots of game time

I also remember at the end of last year a lot of the players looked fatigued but we had to field the same XI because Bilic obviously didn't trust the alternatives

Also competition brings out the best of the current cross as the know if they don't perform their place in the team may be lost

Having a bench of match winners or game changers is as important as the first XI imo
  • Well I know we missed out on a world class striker , but I still think this squad is much stronger than last season , although I do feel that once all are match fit Slav will take time finding his best formation I hope he doesn't mess players positions around trying to play too many attacking players time will tell .

But pleased with the transfers done after
    All look at the squad now and look back 3 seasons ago it's a massive improvement
    IMO .
  • Moral of the story:

Don't believe the hype.

Go to bed.
  • edited September 2016
    IronHerb said:

But Lanzini was signed permanent in March so including his spend is a bit of spin imo.

BOOOOOOO!!!

;wink

• Unfortunately, with one major competition down already those players will be kicking their heels for most of the season.

Nah, we'll have loads of injuries, so they'll all get their chance ;biggrin
  • Not only injuries, but the yellow cards are being dished out to some clubs, everyone in our squad will get a chance.
  • Mrs Grey

I know your comment was a little tongue in cheek but lets hope our fitness record improves! We know we have a first team good enough to compete with all teams but the frustration for me is we so rarely get it out on the pitch.
    We always seem to be saying when we get our best players back we will be ok.
    When we have a few of our best players out we tend to struggle.
    i.e. If Zaza gets injured we will once again be very lightweight up front.
  • Decent window we have slightly improved the first 11 and have much better depth in the squad now, cover at full backs /more strikers/ and loads of midfielders to choose from . We also kept Payet Randolph signed a new contract . Looking forward to the rest of the season and hopefully a nice cup run !
  • alderz said:

Apologies if this has already been said, but...

I am pleased with our business overall. I think our squad looks far better quality overall, we have replaced squad players with players good enough for the first XI in a few instances (Valencia for Zaza, Tomkins for Arbeloa, Moses for Feghouli, etc), so it's been a good window for me.

But we now have a far stronger match day squad (when fit) Carroll, Ayew, Feghouli, Masuaku, Fletcher, Nordveit?, Tore? (both yet to convince) and a whole host of talented youngsters all now capable of challenging for the first 11 and improving the matchday 18. Brilliant window IMO, despite a very poor showing so far, performances on the whole have been pants, and I blame Bilic as much as anyone else, I am now really looking forward to the rest of the season. I`ve not been too impressed with what I have seen of Zaza, but I have a feeling he will become our next cult hero. We will SMASH Watford. ;scarf
  • Merson on Soccer Saturday sat there for 5 minutes questioning why Payet hadn't played much this season and telling everybody he thinks he'll be off by Wednesday.

Utter pleb.

So have many west ham fans...

Im still questioning why he wasn't involved Sunday when he's now ok for international duty
  • It's because he's injured.

He has been training for us and now he's training for France.

It's hardly an X-File.
  • According to transfermarkt we were the 8th highest spenders in the league (just spend not net) which is only including Zaza loan fee not future fee

United, city, Chelsea, Liverpool, Chelsea, spurs and surprisingly Watford spent more than us

Neither palace or Everton spend as much as us despite getting big money for Bolasie and Stones respectively

Pretty sure when we set out our transfer plans we expected to get around £30/40 mil on Sakho, Tomkins & valencia leaving on permanent deals
    That didn't happen but we still spent a lot of money for a club like and the lack of that £30/40mil probably could've pushed through moves for slightly higher calibre players
  • If he is just training, fine. If he plays tonight...
  • But even if he does play tonight, it means nothing. Tonight is further along than Sunday when, according to Slav, he was pretty close to being ready to play...
  • Adrian
    Byram Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
    Noble Kouyate
    Antonio Lanzini Payet
    Zaza

Randy
    Arbeloa Collins Oxford Arthur
    Nordtveit Obiang
    Feghouli Tore Ayew
    Carroll

Not a bad transfer window when you look at our options ;ok

I think we had an excellent team last season, with plenty of depth added and a good nod to youth for the future, a good transfer window. I would rather we built slowly than do what other clubs do and buy titles. Apart from the various teething issues at the ground etc we are definitely moving in the right direction. The issue for us across the season of course is keeping our first choice team fit and for some of our players to really blend together. The key to Leicester's success was the fact they kept their first team squad fit for pretty much the whole season.
  • I don't get this 1st team, 2nd team thing at all. The Prem is all about the squad and if you can get 30 league games out of any player you will be doing really well imo. That leaves plenty of scope for all the players to get game time without taking substitutions and the cups into consideration.
    We haven't, on paper anyway, appeared to have signed a player with the X factor, although we didn't know last summer that Payet would turn out as he has. We do seem to have signed a really good LB in Arthur and held onto Sahko, who if he can get his head straight is a good ST.

All in all we have strengthened the squad which leaves the next couple of windows open to recruiting the players to move us up a level.

COYI