Adrian - contract extended (was called up to Spain thread)

Comments

• I am delighted too.
  • I may be in the vast minority here but i have said for a while that we need a new first choice keeper and I've not seen much of late to dissuade me from that view.

If our two keepers remain the same or we sign only a back up keeper that will not progress us as a club IMO
  • edited May 2017
    Baracks - I agree that we should be looking to upgrade (and as a result letting Randy go) if a keeper of sufficient quality becomes available. I wouldn't just sign one for the sake of it. But a Hart or a Heaton or a Begovic would be excellent business IMO. Maybe a sneaky bid for Butland if Stoke will listen?
  • Hart makes more mistakes than Adrian.
  • Hart's had a terrible end to the season.
  • But he does have dandruff-free hair.
  • But Adrian's hair is always immaculate...
  • He's 'head and shoulders' above.... ;run
  • To repeat, Randy signed a 4-year contract last summer, Adrian has just signed a new 2-year contract. Those two will be our 1st and 2nd choice keepers for the next two seasons at least unless someone comes in with an outrageous transfer offer for either one which we all know is not going to happen.

Deal with it
  • Contract signing means little. It is a means of getting a higher sale price should the player be transferred.
  • edited May 2017
    ASLEF - Payet signed a new 5 year deal in Feb 2016...
  • If Adrian wanted to leave then he would simply have walked on a free at the end of next month, agreeing another two years is a fair indication that he wants to stay.

Randolph signed the four year deal after spending most of the season on the bench so it must have been obvious to him that he'd be Adrian's backup.
  • Did he actually 'agree' to 2 years, or was it something the club had the option to do unilaterally? (Apart from he agreed the clause in his contract at the start, I mean.)
  • MrsGrey said:

Did he actually 'agree' to 2 years, or was it something the club had the option to do unilaterally? (Apart from he agreed the clause in his contract at the start, I mean.)

A very good point

Because it could well have been something triggered by the club in order for him to have a transfer value if he is sold...

;hmm
  • Maybe telling that we haven't seen anything from Adrian himself. Normally you'd expect an interview with the player saying how pleased he was to have signed up and how much he was looking forward to next season ;hmm
  • I don't think anyone (or their agent) would agree to a clause that allows a club to unilaterally add another two years onto a player's contract, I'm not even sure if that would be legal.
  • edited May 2017
    ;hmm I've often heard mention of cases where 'the club has taken up the option to extend the contract' ...

"Adrian is out of contract but we have an option, and we activated that option," said Bilic
  • MrsGrey said:

;hmm I've often heard mention of cases where 'the club has taken up the option to extend the contract' ...

I was about to say exactly the same thing
  • On Randolph, yes, he signed the deal knowing her would be back up. But then he spent 60% of the season as our number one choice. If he now backs himself as a Premier League number one, is he going to be happy to go back to being a back up?
  • The club are protecting their position and there is nothing wrong with that. Not doing so would have left us with one keeper and a very weak position from which to negotiate should we have wished to buy another
  • alderz, maybe he backs himself to make it to No. 1 again?
  • MrsG ;ok

I think he would, definitely. I think we are likely to have the pair of them here for the 2017/18 season, and if either of them has proven to be the clear number one, the other will be off next summer.
  • Im hoping Randolph goes to Sunderland when they sell Pickford

I'm a fan of Adrian but id still like us to go for Joe Hart
  • Twisterz ;ok

I know people are sceptical of Hart, but for me he is a significant step up on what we have at the club. The only way I wouldn't be in for him is if it meant we couldn't get a striker in
  • There are so many outstanding keepers around these days that it is an area where we can potentially bring in an elite keeper, as opposed to bringing in an bonafide elite CF or CM for example which is much harder. I love Adrian and he has been nothing short of outstanding considering he was a free transfer and actually got into professional football pretty late. However, he does have a young family, think I read another baby is on the way soon as well, so it is a very important stage of his career and life, so we have to be honest with him; is he going to be number 1 or are we going to bring in someone ahead of him? If so, help him get a good move back to spain for him and his family.
  • So we tell Adrian he's number one and he has a shocker. Do we retain him as number one then? No, and that is why you never tell someone that they are your number one.
  • I don't think there are a large number of outstanding keeper personally

I mean Foster and Pickford have been the best but outside of that a lot of the mid table teams ( and even the likes of Arsenal ,Liverpool and CIty) are after keepers

That's why so many people are being linked with hart, who's good but hasn't exactly shown that since the first time City won the league

I mean the 3 of Pickford, Hart and Begovic have been tossed about as a target for almost every club because of the lack of top keepers

• IronHerb, all keepers make mistakes. Its part and parcel of football, only in their position it will almost always lead to a goal or good opportunity. People need to accept that. There is conventionally a clear number 1 and a number 2 and certainly if WHU sign another keeper it will make Adrian and Randolph positions close to untenable because both are good enough to be established number 1's elsewhere. I believe for keepers it is very important to precisely tell them if they are your number 1 so they have that reassurance, confidence and belief to go out and perform in the most testing of positions without the threat of being removed whenever there is a contentious goal conceded. I dont think alternating keepers helped WHU this year and contributed to an unsettled and insecure defensive structure. As stated, with where Adrian is at in his life with a young family, we should take a more holistic approach if possible.

WHU_Champo, In regards to globally I believe there is significant depth of high level keepers. Spain, Italy and Germany have serious depth. England are having somewhat of a renaissance to their keeping heritage. Whilst there are other keeper from lesser nations who are elite level. It is an area where transfer fees are out of sync with other footballing positions, and for an ambitious club in the PL with PL resources, it could make it more possible to bring one in.
  • The thing is TWC our Number 1 was dropped.

Champo, Don't forget Butland, who happens to be the best England keeper imo.
  • IMO there is no way Stoke will sell Butland, particularly to us.

Lee Grant was in fantastic form all season, and the moment Butland was available again Grant was on the bench. They clearly see him as their undisputed number one. I think you're looking at £30m for him, and even if we were to bid that what's to say he wants to trade one mid table club for another?