Latest Injury (and Recovery!) Mews

Comments

• David Moyes on Manuel Lanzini’s injury: “It’s a worry, it looks like a hamstring. We will get it scanned, that’s come from more general fatigue I think.”
  • Lets hope it’s only two weeks and just misses the cup game if not it’s a worry hopefully Antonio be back as well
  • edited January 2018
    From Physioroom - the range of injuries and average recovery times for hamstring strains:
    As a general rule, grade one Hamstring strains should be rested from sporting activity for about 3 weeks and grade two injuries for about 4 to 6 weeks. In the case of a complete rupture, the Hamstring muscle will have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation afterwards will take about 3 months.
  • Fatigue injures are kicking in (Reid, Lanzini, for example). I notice that we don't seem to be having a warm weather break this year? Several other clubs have had them.
  • Interesting factoid from James Anderson when I was listening to the cricket this morning, which is unfortunately relevant to our current situation: apparently there's no point in scanning a strain immediately as you can't see anything useful. You have to let it 'develop' and by the next day a scan can give you the information you need.
  • Lanzini out for a month, Carroll for three months.
  • edited January 2018
    Official?

Rumour?

Prediction?

Bet?
  • In the Mirror in the last hour ;ok
  • Lanzini layoff - nothing on the WHU website yet but the bad news is reported in the Mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/west-ham-suffer-double-hammer-11892827

The good news, according to Ex Employee, is that Antonio is due to start training this week. May be will have a cameo against Palace.

I would have thought Samuelson could step up to fill the Lanzini role but obviously Moyes did not think so and Samuelson is now on loan at Burton. Snodgrass is playing will but cna't be recalled from Aston Villa. I wonder if Moyes will give Haksabanovic or Quina a try. If no, may be will rethink the team formation.
  • Luke/Penge ;ok
    Carroll will miss up to three months worth of action, after a scan revealed that he has suffered a hairline fracture of his foot
    Which we knew already, and is only stating a maximum period, so nothing new and nothing definitive there.
  • We really don't have anyone who can replace Lanzini though

Ayew isn't good enough, Noble/Cullen aren't quick/nimble enough, Hernandez is best in the box not deep and Quina/Sead are kids

Such a huge blow it really is, some of the football between Lanzini and Arnie the last few weeks has been breathtaking

Hernandes will likely be the body thats brought in but can't imagine a midfield of Noble, Obiang and Kouyate giving him enough supply
  • If we get Antonio back, then I think a top 3 of Arnie/Antonio/Chico could prove a handful.
  • Grey I really hope so

One thing we need to do with Antonio is not rush him back, he hasn't looked fit in a long time and every time he comes back it's too soon and he aggravates the injury

He needs to gradually build up his fitness

But I agree that front 3 looks very good
  • It will prove a handful but Lanzini is our best player, technically. Don’t get me wrong, he’s been poor most of the season, but in the last few weeks had produced football on another planet to the rest of our players. It’s all about balancing the side. Lanzini creates a bridge to the attacking third from the middle of the pitch. Antonio and Arnie don’t do that. Our strikers certainly don’t.

Will be a big miss given our next few fixtures. Typical when he starts to find form we lose him.
  • Although pretty sure the Mirror are just guessing at this moment. Not sure they’d know that piece of info before the club announces it.

A month sounds like a good bet.
  • Whufc bulletin reports Carroll out for the remainder of the season.
  • It`s either: give Haksabanovic or Quina a go, or play a front two of Antonio and Hernandez with Arnautovic dropping a bit deeper in the Lanzini role. I think of the senior players Arnie is the only one who can carry the ball and is technically gifted enough to fill in for Lanzini. We also have Martinez, Ayew and Sakho who can play as part of a front two (assuming the latter two are staying). My preference would be to try one of the youngsters against Wigan and if it works out OK stick with them with Arnie and Hernandez up top.
  • Lukerz said:

Whufc bulletin reports Carroll out for the remainder of the season.

Nothing new there then and that’s the reason I’d sell him but do feel for him imo I actually believe he’d sooner play than just pick up his wages
  • The last scenario assumes Antonio is not 100% and as someone else said, don`t rush him back.
  • Lanzini is a huge miss, he gets things going that no one else in the team can do. I think we will struggle big time without him to dictate and bring the game to the opponents.
  • Carroll has got to be the most injury prone striker ever.
    I do feel sorry for him, but also am frustrated with the fact that we have yet another season where he is more absent than available ;angry
  • And if he does eventually leave us you watch him put a full season in with 15 goals for good measure
  • Carroll has to be moved on in the summer, on his day he is unplayable but those days come along once in a blue mone
  • Macca85 said:

Carroll has to be moved on in the summer, on his day he is unplayable but those days come along once in a blue mone

I like ac when his playing, he does move from upfront to defensive
    But unplayable most of this season,,,
  • edited January 2018
    Claret and Hugh reporting Lanzini is out for a minimum of 6 weeks and Arnie has also torn a hamstring too (looking like 3 weeks minimum).
    http://www.claretandhugh.info/massive-arnie-blow-as-lanzini-news-gets-worse/
  • edited January 2018
    Sooooooooooooo...

Arnautovic injured.

Lanzini injured.

Carroll injured.

Sakho injured.

Hernandez, Ayew and Martinez to score the goals we need to stay up? None too confident, to be honest. And our two most creative players out for 3-6 weeks is a huge concern.

Just got to hope the reports are exaggerated.
  • Here`s hoping Hernandez starts banging them in then and Martinez is able to step up. I thought Ayew was a decent signing but his general play has been disappointing, on saying that he does pop up with the odd goal. Just our luck that we find a system that both Lanzini and Arnie appear to shine in and they both get crocked. Has Carlton Cole found a club yet???
  • I would prefer Ings, but i think hes clsoer to the first team than Sturridge is

Is there something wrong with our training ground.....or te medical team....or are they being trainned incorrectly

So many injuries to soo many players and this isnt a one time thing its year in year out
  • edited January 2018
    Well, we have a new training ground, so that old excuse is out.