I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• edited August 2016

I'm not talking about people wanting to be consoled .. It's just poor planning from the club ... When people went to their booking appointment and asked for equivalent seats ... So everyone in chicken run went equivalent area etc did the club really not think everyone would then just sit in that new area ?

They sold too many season tickets, didn't have a family section, and made too many people not get an equivalent area by allowing too many plus 2's... And now they're facing lots of fans fighting amongst each other ... and before people say it's only a few standing fans moaning ... Look at other fans forums e.g kumb and you'll find there are a LOT more unhappy fans than what you think ... As I said , a quarter of upton park stood.

Is the correct answer......

• Don't understood this forum sometimes because the only comments seem to be allowed are ones that are 'official' or is a 'rule from the club website" etc...

I must be reading some other thread then, because it looks to me like views on both sides of the arguments are being posted, plus I don't think that petition linked to in the opening post is 'official' is it? ;wink

Perhaps if it seems like the 'pro-standing' posters are in a minority, it's because (amongst this site's posters, anyway), they actually are? ;hmm
  • No ground where everyone sits has a good atmosphere. Keep standing, it's your duty...
  • I'm talking about statements like "it's pointless to debate that point" , it's pointless to debate anything with that attitude... Even debates that aren't pointless according to you aren't going to have gold and Sullivan logged on reading from a laptop
  • edited August 2016

Ok, I'm against the standing. But that selfish minority haven't had the opportunity to show they will sit down since the briefing from Brady, have they? Seems like this should have happened if the fans hadn't listened to that request.

Or

Perhaps the club should've thought about all this when selling the +2's?

;whistle
    Preaching to the choir on this one. I'm pretty furious at the +2 debacle. This is the first season that I could afford to go regularly, yet I've been a member for years and have a ticket buying history they could check, but I'm stuck on a waiting list while Jim got his mate Bob a ticket who isn't even a fan. Oh, and I'm witness to this now, because at the Domzale game a bloke gave me grief for 'nicking' one of his 6 seats that he has season tickets for and it was quite clear that two of the others there were not West Ham fans. Didn't know the simplest things about the club, didn't chant, sing, celebrate, anything. So yeah.
  • A minority on here, but a massive majority on kumb, a much larger forum ... So certainly a relevant issue to be debated..wether it's pointless as the club can't do anything now, or not
  • edited August 2016
    Aligibsonham - at the Boleyn the stewards were employed by the club, my guess is that the club told them not to bother if people stood. At the OS the stewards are employed by VINCI and if VINCI tell them to stop people standing that is what they are going to do.

If Newham council won't raise the capacity to 60k then that's money lost, not just to the club but to the LLDC and VINCI.

As for facts some of us like to live in the real world, maybe it because we're old and cynical, or because with early onset of Alzheimer's we need to cling onto what little reality we still can!
  • Slizzy

Not every fan, especially in bands 3 and 4 got the comparable seat in the new stadium.
    We have been over this roundabout before but...

YES THEY DID.

Every ST Holder got first dibs on their comparable seat in the new stadium BEFORE it was offered to a +2.

'My BML seat' now has another bottom on it but that bottom didn't get to buy it until after I said I didn't want it.

You're right, we've have been over this before, do you remember how it turned out?

There is also no need to shout. ;biggrin

There are fans that have been displaced, because of the +2 system, there are fans that didn't like the comparable view in the new stadium or what they were being asked to pay, many were forced to upgrade as it wasn't even close to being comparable. There are groups of fans that were displaced as well, the OS doesn't have as many tickets like for like in the BML (standing) as what is available in the OS. Those fans have gone to other area's and took their "non-seating" habits with them (which I don't agree with at this stage).

The fact remains for me, the plus two scheme helped in no small part to stop people from having a bigger/wider choice in where they sat. The club chose that system, from what I can tell, to sell as many tickets as they could, because they were worried they'd end up with a partially empty stadium, when in fact they didn't need worry at all. Still it's pushed up demand so they should be okay for a good few years why the 30,000 wait.

And as I said, nothing will change my mind, well unless the club release some kind of information that could change my thinking, but I doubt that will happen.

;ok

• Another thing that in all this was the clubs decision to not have a family seating area, now there are plenty of parents/kids in area's that have "generally been known" to stand and will be obviously frustrated.

Why would the club have a "family seating area" when the whole stadium has been designated as a "seating area"?

Sorry, that should've said "Family area'

Got seats on the brain!!
  • Well seeing as we got such a sweet deal we should have employed our own stewards , to try and stop the stadium becoming the emirates, that may even be called the tesco stadium in a few years!!!!!
  • Apologies to Aligibsonham, I hadn't read through all of pages 6 and 7 before typing my comments.......I never do, I reply in order of what i've read, as I read down.

So it looks like I've repeated a lot of what you've said, when actually I didn't know you'd said it.

;ok
  • MrsGrey said:

Mrs g.. Fair enough if you label what I say "pointless"...

to debate about what the club should have done differently ... as in, there is no point to the debate.

The situation is as it is and has to be dealt with.

It is also my firm view (as I explained) that no matter what the club had done (eg, to have more tickets on general sale, or to have fans 'grouped' in like areas to the Boleyn areas) the issue would still have arisen because persistent standing will not be allowed.
    I disagree, if the club had paid more attention to getting the fans where they wanted and should be, rather than cold hard sell of +2's and kids tickets to be upgraded later then we may not be in such a bad position.

I never once said it was easy, but I do honestly think there was a better way, especially to take care of your previous 26K "loyal" ST holders and your at the time members.

;ok
  • No worries Slaven, I've got to go to work now so you can cover my afternoon shift on here !!!!
  • Ali
    It wasnt enforced at the Boleyn probably because the sections had been in place for years and everyone knew where they stood (literally!).
    The devil is in the detail - they cant just enforce it early on, they will have to enforce it all the first season, people have bought 'Season' tickets, the clue is in the description.
    Because of the sight lines - all standers will block a view within a section where they are on their feet.
    Like it or not, with the move into the new stadium, by definition we are becoming more corporate, the club are trying to build WH as a brand, like the big boys do. Maybe it will be the start of the change in the atmosphere at our ground, maybe the club want a type of supporter who likes a seat, and we'll all have to start eating popcorn and prawn sandwiches.
    Its happened elswhere and it will probably happen to us over time. That why we moved from the Boleyn in the first place. It IS all about the money...
  • edited August 2016

No ground where everyone sits has a good atmosphere. Keep standing, it's your duty...

Even from someone who has massive sympathy for the standers that were displaced.

A comment I'm not sure will help the debate?

• No worries Slaven, I've got to go to work now so you can cover my afternoon shift on here !!!!

ha ha, sorry, same for me, I've had my five minutes of fame lol

(btw - I wouldn't follow me around too closely, your Agree's and CMU's will drop dramatically - FACT)

;biggrin
  • Ali
    It wasnt enforced at the Boleyn probably because the sections had been in place for years and everyone knew where they stood (literally!).
    The devil is in the detail - they cant just enforce it early on, they will have to enforce it all the first season, people have bought 'Season' tickets, the clue is in the description.
    Because of the sight lines - all standers will block a view within a section where they are on their feet.
    Like it or not, with the move into the new stadium, by definition we are becoming more corporate, the club are trying to build WH as a brand, like the big boys do. Maybe it will be the start of the change in the atmosphere at our ground, maybe the club want a type of supporter who likes a seat, and we'll all have to start eating popcorn and prawn sandwiches.
    Its happened elswhere and it will probably happen to us over time. That why we moved from the Boleyn in the first place. It IS all about the money...

I don't disagree with most of this.

I really worry that if it does become what you've mentioned in the last paragraph, then the atmosphere has gone. They've already come out with statements like "you can make an atmosphere while seated"........No DG you really can't/don't.
  • Well seeing as we got such a sweet deal we should have employed our own stewards , to try and stop the stadium becoming the emirates, that may even be called the tesco stadium in a few years!!!!!

We weren't appointed operators, VINCI were and the stewards work on all events not just football. Again, its not up to the club whether we stand, its up to VINCI and LLDC, the club haven't much choice other than to go along with whatever they decide.
  • edited August 2016

I disagree, if the club had paid more attention to getting the fans where they wanted and should be, rather than cold hard sell of +2's and kids tickets to be upgraded later then we may not be in such a bad position.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Nothing I have seen or read suggests that persistent standing would have be allowed under any circumstances, no matter where ST's 'new' seats were located.
  • MrsGrey said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Nothing I have seen or read suggests that persistent standing would have be allowed under any circumstances, no matter where ST's 'new' seats were located.
    Perhaps we will.....

But do you think the club may of had the conversation.......

"what about all the folk that generally stand in the TBL and BML, what will happen to them if displaced?"

"let's worry about selling 52K any way we can first, then perhaps we'll deal with that later"

;wink
  • Not got a strong view either way on this, but Cardiff had apparently similar problems and took a common sense approach to accommodate everyone.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/Cardiff-City-s-incredible-journey-by-Dr-Steve-Frosdick

I think given time West Ham and the stadium owners can come up with a similar solution. ;scarf
  • edited August 2016
    Romaine10 said:

This chap is quite obviously happy to sit, look at his smile, and it looks like he stopped off at Westfield first. Can`t wait for my first visit, as being on the tall side, well over 6ft, the leg room looks amazing. And even a little side table for drinks, sweets etc. ;champagne
  • Mad ;lol ;clap

Sidetable for your pot noodle ;wink
  • I don't understand the lack of atmosphere/popcorn thing. So are we only allowed to sing or chant when we stand up then? I've not seen my seat in the new stadium yet but in the last 3 years having a season ticket in the east stand at Upton Park, I managed to make plenty of noise whilst sitting down. Also isn't it down to the fans and or players on the pitch to create the atmosphere?
  • Romaine10 said:

Mad ;lol ;clap

Sidetable for your pot noodle ;wink

Have already broached the subject with Baroness Brady and apparently "hot food that can be transported in a vessel small enough to fit in a haversack is against our tenancy agreement and will not be tolerated" ;angry
  • You should star a petition for seats to have their own kettle ;ok
  • We sold out
    We sold out
    ;quaver
  • Another thing that in all this was the clubs decision to not have a family seating area, now there are plenty of parents/kids in area's that have "generally been known" to stand and will be obviously frustrated.

Why would the club have a "family seating area" when the whole stadium has been designated as a "seating area"?

This is true ASLEF - but according to my Citeh mate they had this exact issue with heir new stadium and after a season or so designated an area as the 'family stand'. She had to move seats as a result.
  • I'm not talking about people wanting to be consoled .. It's just poor planning from the club ... When people went to their booking appointment and asked for equivalent seats ... So everyone in chicken run went equivalent area etc did the club really not think everyone would then just sit in that new area ?

They sold too many season tickets, didn't have a family section, and made too many people not get an equivalent area by allowing too many plus 2's... And now they're facing lots of fans fighting amongst each other ... and before people say it's only a few standing fans moaning ... Look at other fans forums e.g kumb and you'll find there are a LOT more unhappy fans than what you think ... As I said , a quarter of upton park stood.

Is the correct answer......
    No it isn't.