I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• edited August 2016
    I never buy into this division you are implying of 'real' fans and non-fans on the basis of how many matches they have been to within a specified time-frame.

The reasons why people might or might not have been regular attenders in recent years are many and varied. And perhaps totally outside their control.

Some folks who might not have attended in recent years may actually have clocked up many more attendances than you. I think it is a bit off, what you said, tbh.
  • Exeter I feel for you but feel that's more the club fault for all the plus 2 season ticket sells meaning not enough tickets are left for general sale for you to have more choice ..
    In upton park thee were always plenty of seats together in west stand even at general sale.

You certainly have a point. It is a shame that in the new stadium a lot of the general sale seats available seem to be in areas where people have chosen to stand.
  • Why wasn't people on here against standing at Upton Park? ;hmm

From my point of view, I knew where to buy and not buy tickets when I took my children to Upton park. Tickets were often difficult to get, but I knew they would be able to see from the seats I bought.

I was hoping with the extra capacity, I might get to see more games at the new stadium. I am not so sure now.
    Exeter ;ok i get that, 100%.

Because it was accepted, it had been going on for years, it was a non issue, we owned the ground.
    Now - it is not accepted, we have our first home league game next week, it is certainly an issue to many new season ticket holders, we dont own the ground.

I think that will do it for now...
  • I'm not talking about people wanting to be consoled .. It's just poor planning from the club ... When people went to their booking appointment and asked for equivalent seats ... So everyone in chicken run went equivalent area etc did the club really not think everyone would then just sit in that new area ?

They sold too many season tickets, didn't have a family section, and made too many people not get an equivalent area by allowing too many plus 2's... And now they're facing lots of fans fighting amongst each other ... and before people say it's only a few standing fans moaning ... Look at other fans forums e.g kumb and you'll find there are a LOT more unhappy fans than what you think ... As I said , a quarter of upton park stood.

Spot on. They were worried they wouldn't sell enough so decided on this '+2' - probably the worst decision ive seen the club make.

I'm not against standing Twist.. I did it for the 10 years I was in the BML, prior to that I was in the chicken run and I sat down. Before then I was in the North Bank standing on my tippy-toes and getting pelters because I was being female.

As BBB has pointed out we are in a different stadium where local rules are being more rigorously applied. The punishment is a reduction in capacity.

I don't understand why for the time being at least folks can just sit down.

• I'm not saying Any fan is more "real" than another - but the fact remains that with a stadium increasing capacity by 20,000+ there should be more than enough seats to keep standing STHs happy but also leave enough general sale tickets for those who want to sit when they come to games. Both groups were kept happy at upton park.. Now we've added 20,000 seats and it's harder to get seats together in areas that aren't behind the goals ... How does that work?

The club sold too many plus 2s...

Think they need to get a much easier way to trade tickets with other fans set up quickly or these problems will continue ...

Someone on kumb is trying to create a website to do this , maybe this will help.

As I've said , I don't think any fan is more real than others
  • Well exactly then mrs g if they are worried about missing out on precious 3000 ticket sales rather than keeping people who have been going for years and years happy then it proves my point that it's all about the money for them.
    And about standers being selfish ... Before last season there were always tickets available on general sale and often had a few 100 below capacity... Now we can host more than 20,000 more fans even if capped at 57000...?

So who's being selfish people that think they have right to get a ticket on general sale now when they didn't come to upton park , or standers who have been going for years and create a better atmosphere for everyone ?

If you follow that logic I should not be going given that when I went the sexism was off the chart and men who had been going for years did not think I should be there.
  • It's just poor planning from the club ... , a quarter of upton park stood.

You can say what the club shoulda coulda done as much as you like. It is pretty much irrelevant. And pointless.

No matter how the club had done it differently, persistent standing would still not be allowed in the new ground. The requirement for the persistent standers to change their expectations and behaviour would be identical to what it is now even if they were more 'grouped'.

The only difference possibly that is that the (now) standing wouldn't have annoyed quite so many other fans.

imo
  • Suzanne.. Not sure what you want me to reply .. Obviously I'm not condoning sexism ... Ofc that's terrible if a few idiots thought that but I've stood in several areas and haven't seen that problem so didn't factor it in this debate ...
  • edited August 2016
    Mrs g.. Fair enough if you label what I say "pointless"...
  • Suzanne.. Not sure what you want me to reply .. Obviously I'm not condoning sexism ... Ofc that's terrible if a few idiots thought that but I've stood in several areas and haven't seen that problem so didn't factor it in this debate ...

But you said
    if they are worried about missing out on precious 3000 ticket sales rather than keeping people who have been going for years and years happy
    The sexist pigs were happy and had been going for years...
  • edited August 2016

Mrs g.. Fair enough if you label what I say "pointless"... And you wonder why people don't contribute on this forum as much as you'd like ;doh

But Ali - it is pointless
    There are now rules that will be enforced - your response seems to be putting your fingers in your ears and going no no no ! Now it has been raised as an issue, there is no way the club will be able to be seen to back off.
    This season, people will have to do as they are told - what is so difficult about that - or is that the real difficulty ?
    That we are all claret and blue 'warriors' who stand up at games, and nobody tells 'our gang' what to do ???

I'm posting facetiously I know, but unfortunatley think that that's nearer to the truth
    ;puzzled
  • I'm sure there are plenty of sexist pigs who sit down too...
  • Whether you used to go to a section that stood up at the Boleyn is irrelevant because we're not in the Boleyn, we in the Olympic Stadium, we don't own it and the owners want us to sit.

The fact that the club mostly ignored standing at Upton Park suggests that Sullivan, Gold and Brady don't really care whether we stand or not as long as they sell as many tickets as possible.
  • And nothing about being a warrior or whatever you are on about ... Just about not giving up on enjoying football as many people have done for so long without it becoming like the emirates... You never know if people do stand they might consider pushing for safe standing areas more vigorously , or turn a blind eye eventually to certain areas..... It's a new stadium .. None of us know
  • edited August 2016
    It wouldn't matter if all the "standers" stood in their own section, all on their own. The new owners of the "stadium" don't want you standing, full stop. It is not the club making the rules now, it is the owners and operators and they don't want you standing. So why don't you write and complain to them, instead of blaming the club?
  • Vorse

Every fan going to their season ticket appointment new UP and where shown their new seat, fans should have known were the standing areas where and if they didn't I question how much of a fans they are and would ask 'where the hell have you been?'

Sorry Suze but have to disagree here, to a point.

Not every fan, especially in bands 3 and 4 got the comparable seat in the new stadium.

Why?

Because the +2 scheme within bands 1 & 2 had already displaced some of them (unknown to them until they got to the RC) Either they had to pay more to go up a band, or move back, say with their mates, to stay together. The aggressive selling by the reps at the RC, telling fans "buy another couple, only kids prices initially, then if you don't bring the kids you can always upgrade later match by match if you want (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) didn't help either.

Another thing that in all this was the clubs decision to not have a family seating area, now there are plenty of parents/kids in area's that have "generally been known" to stand and will be obviously frustrated.

The fact of the matter for me, the club's number 1 priority in all this was selling 52K season tickets, then came your comparable seat, the families, the standing (well actually I'm not sure that even registered).

The club have helped cause this to some degree due to the method they chose for the seat selection process and the +2 scheme, this is turn was driven by the need to sell as many ST's as possible.

And nobody will ever change my mind.

;ok
  • so your logic is ... the people who want to sit down, we are making a point ???
  • edited August 2016

Mrs g.. Fair enough if you label what I say "pointless"...

to debate about what the club should have done differently ... as in, there is no point to the debate.

The situation is as it is and has to be dealt with.

It is also my firm view (as I explained) that no matter what the club had done (eg, to have more tickets on general sale, or to have fans 'grouped' in like areas to the Boleyn areas) the issue would still have arisen because persistent standing will not be allowed.
  • Slizzy
    Not every fan, especially in bands 3 and 4 got the comparable seat in the new stadium.
    We have been over this roundabout before but...

YES THEY DID.

Every ST Holder got first dibs on their comparable seat in the new stadium BEFORE it was offered to a +2.

'My BML seat' now has another bottom on it but that bottom didn't get to buy it until after I said I didn't want it.

• For the outside I feel like Bradys reaction is partly to protect loss of face as this should have been foreseen in the stadium move planning.

I hope it gets work out without Fans turning on each other, which seems to be were we are at the moment.

Not sure it's loss of face for Brady, but there are some suggesting that she has those bodies that made the decision this week, in her pocket.

She's trying to rule with a heavy hand. They're now applying the pressure by suggesting that if "everyone" doesn't sit, or actually everyone doesn't sit when they've got objectionable (and quite right too) person or persons behind them, you'll be chucked out and this in turn won't help the club as they won't get the other 3,000 tickets, denying many other claret members for the foreseeable.

They are going to have their work cut out making thousands sit in the BML and STL if there are still people there who want/need/must sit.

If this was all that bad (and I'm not playing down the complaints from people sitting and getting frustrated - at all), then why did they increase it from 54,000 to 57,000?

I mean, if the standing problem is THAT bad at 54,000 then why increase it at all, cap it now and tell everyone to conform before it goes any higher, to even 57,000 let alone 60,000.

How do another 3,000 tickets get added on when you've admitted the standing problem has stopped it from having the full 6,000 added to the capacity?

I'd say at a guess, because they know they'd have a problem, 52,000 ST only leaves 2,000 tickets at 54K not even enough to allocate away fans, let alone the thousands that were promised a ballot by being Claret Members......

So they've conveniently added 3,000 phew that gets out of a tight corner doesn't it

;wink
  • We are at a new stadium now and what happened at Upton park is irreverent to
    the rules that apply now. It's like a road that had a speed limit of 40mph and now
    it has changed to 30mph.
    The first time you exceed the speed of 30mph you get a fine and 3 pts on your license.
    The second time you exceed the speed limit of 30mph you get a bigger fine and another 3 pts on your license.

The third time you exceed the speed limit of 30mph you get an even bigger fine plus a ban for driving.
    If the rules at the London stadium are that there will be no standing, then that is
    the rules, and it is irrelevant what happened at Upton Park.
    Ignore the rules and you should be evicted from the ground, shouldn't take long
    before fans sit on there seats instead of standing and then all can see the game
    without having to stand up.

• Ok, I'm against the standing. But that selfish minority haven't had the opportunity to show they will sit down since the briefing from Brady, have they? Seems like this should have happened if the fans hadn't listened to that request.

Or

Perhaps the club should've thought about all this when selling the +2's?

;whistle
  • I'm pretty sure this will change nothing and the majority in certain sections of the ground will still stand.

So now its even harder to get a ticket for those who have paid for a £40 membership.

Did the club really think every single fan in the stadium would sit down and eat popcorn?

THIS....

• edited August 2016
    Billy bonds beard..not sure how you've got that , my logic is it was enforced occasionally and poorly at upton park but people still stood.... Of course with a new stadium they will try to enforce it more early days as a fresh start... Doesn't mean they will always enforce it so strongly not does it mean "rules are rules. Everyone must sit forever". People who want to sit should be able to sit , standers should be able to stand . As long as not in stupid areas that obstruct those unable to stand . All are valuable supporters . Not sure why my opinion is so controversial ,

Don't understood this forum sometimes because the only comments seem to be allowed are ones that are 'official' or is a 'rule from the club website" etc... It's like on the transfer speculation when someone posts something they've heard from an ITK and rather than debating that player, the poster is shot down with "no such thing as an ITK, etc etc "

Forums aren't about what is "fact " all the time it's about peoples emotions thoughts etc about the club, things to chat about , interesting issues etc... Not just about official statements from the Official site all the time.

Sure this comment will get shot down but I know some people will know what I'm taking About

All IMO , coyi
  • Does anyone know who is on the London Stadium Safety Advisory Group? I suppose its someone from the club (Brady at a guess) with representatives from VENCI, LLDC, Met Police, LFEPA and LB of Newham.

Probably nailed it there Aslef

;ok
  • Another thing that in all this was the clubs decision to not have a family seating area, now there are plenty of parents/kids in area's that have "generally been known" to stand and will be obviously frustrated.

Why would the club have a "family seating area" when the whole stadium has been designated as a "seating area"?

• MrsGrey said:

Exeter I feel for you but feel that's more the club fault

All irrelevant about whose fault.

I'm sure the folks who have paid out their hard earned money for tickets, travel etc, and end up not being able to see, will be massively consoled by being able to blame the club. ;wink
    No it really isn't.

The club have helped cause this situation, due to numerous processes within the selling of ST's for the Olympic Stadium