I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• Jack Sullivan - following in dad's footsteps of not engaging his brain before opening his mouth (or in this case, posting on twitter).

Also, it's really wrong (imo) that while the club is trying to get fans to consider other supporters, plus not subject the stewards to abuse, plus abide by Pl rules, the kid is undermining their efforts.

Needs a ;fishslap if you ask me.
  • I was going to say Mrs G, will you slap him or should I?

And now DS jnr. is now joining in with a twitter poll ;doh
  • We can agree to disagree then Grey.

Because I think it is an issue and one that could come back and bite them on the....

They'll lose something, fans, atmosphere or whatever if it isn't addressed to a degree.

When you don't release a seating plan, bands and other information well in to the game, then you're always going to have problems. That was in part caused imo by the +2 scheme. Also they had salesmen at the RS, probably very nice people doing their job, they wanted tickets sold, that was the number 1 priority.

Some people couldn't move from the BML, TBL or Chav corner to what would be equivalent area's in the new ground due to cost or view/preference......they probably stood in those original areas and now it's going to be a problem
  • IronHerb said:

I was going to say Mrs G, will you slap him or should I?

Both together? ;biggrin
  • Sorry, Slizzy, I don't see what the 'issue' is.

Unless you mean that the club should actively work with fans to help them to break PL regulations?

There's an issue, I suppose, with some fans who want to insist on their (non-existent) right to stand through the game, but I have zero sympathy with them.

I'd give the analogy of a group of people who always left their cars parked illegally because there were no wardens, now complaining because the council have employed wardens:

But we always parked there and no one said anything.

Yes - and it was always illegal, and subject to sanctions.
  • edited August 2016
    Grey for me it's a little hypocritical of the club to be this heavy handed about the subject so early.

Whether they tried or not at UP, they didn't seem to do too much about it did they? They were happy for fans to stand (Lower behind the goals), where were the banning orders, if they came out in the begining did they follow through on them, enforce them until we left?

No, they didn't.

It's not against the law to stand in the PL, it is the law for everyone to be given a seat.

As long as it's done in the right area's with respect, I don't see the issue in addressing it.

If the club want to have a decent atmosphere, then you'll need some standing fans, also lets see what the away fans do when they visit, just sit down, take it all in and say "this is very nice, especially as I paid for it".

We're clearly not going to agree, so I will leave it there.

;ok

I'm actually hoping that ;ok get me my numbers up ;wink
  • Little Jack, 'av it. ;fishslap
  • Slizzy

I never suggested it was illegal.

It does, however, break PL ground regulations, and the contract anyone who buys a ticket agrees to with the club.
  • Not releasing a seating plan from the start was stupid and I told them so.

#nerr
  • Sit down, keep quiet and eat your popcorn
  • Suze, you went to those SAB meetings you know pretty much what was said......

I think this subject may of been brought up, no?

• Sit down, keep quiet and eat your popcorn

#cinemaclub
  • Its not Illegal to stand up in a ground - their is nothing there in Criminal Law. However, it could be a Civil offence, if the regulations of the ground demands it. If you are provided with a seat as part of your contract, and refuse to use it, you could be asked to leave the premises.The fact that it wasn't enforced in the past is neither here nor there, and is a fault on the club's part, its nothing to do with Brady trying to boss people about, and I bet that there are Insurance ramifications for the club if there ever was an 'incident' heaven forbid.

There are a lot of very thick people out there with short memories.

I brought it up, a lot. The safe standing issues and that fans WILL stand regardless of the rules.

What are the club going to do about it? I and many others asked.

The response was 'well officially you can't stand but......' Nudge nudge wink wink.

Despise this being an issue raised often the club didn't seem to think it was an issue'.

It is and it was always going to be.

In the 10 years I was in the BML I got one generic dear supporter letter about standing and was asked to sit down no more than 4 or 5 times.

They dropped the ball.

Of all the issues surrounding the new stadium this was always going to be the biggest bone of contention.

I don't understand why they ignored it.

• As others have pointed out, even if at the Boleyn the club were happy to have stewards turn a blind eye (or the stewards didn't care to force the issue), they don't have the same influence over the stadium staff.
  • What people have to realise is that the world has changed. We no longer have our little East End ground with its years of history, and tribal areas and corners. Our old stewards were employed by the club, and either through intimidation, or turning a blind eye, the standing areas were sort of 'tolerated'.
    Remember - WE DON'T OWN OUR GROUND ANY MORE. Its owned by a French company that have no worries about enforcing regulations, identifying troublemakers by their seat numbers and withdrawing their season tickets - its been done before.
    I'm afraid our club has changed with the move, in both good and bad ways. ;hmm
  • bbb,
    The stadium is owned by the Greater London Authority and not by a French company. ;ok
  • I actually think the club is right to jump on this early and lay out expectations, no-one is being glued into a seat, no-one is saying that you cannot jump up, cheer, clap, high five and hug when a goal is scored or an incident occurs, it is simply stating that during play, you are required to sit so that everyone has the best view possible.

There will always be instances when an incident occurs out of clear view and a wave of people will stand to try and get a view, that is understandable and fine so long as they then sit down again when the ball/action is back in general view.

I think that the,mail is correct and that clear signs/instructions and also enforcement needs to be visible in the early matches.

For the record, I would have had no problem with a defined standing area, if one could have been agreed to with the relevant authorities.

Ho hum
  • I go to a few away games when I can get tickets and can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I sat down because everyone else stands up so I have no choice but can see the problems this can cause but cannot see how it can be put right unless they bring in safe standing area's , this isn't a west ham problem its a premier league problem ;ok
  • They make you sit down at Anfield.

All other grounds let you stand.

In some though you don't want to ;whome Newcastle and Stoke spring to mind.
  • edited August 2016
    The seating plan is a huge thing for me.

Not giving people the chance to orientate themselves in the new ground meant that fans may have got tickets in areas that they would not have done had they realised, say, they were in the equivalent of Chav corner.

Oh the wheelchair area does not have an obstructed view if those in the lower west stand, stand. As far as I can tell.
  • edited August 2016
    MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

I was going to say Mrs G, will you slap him or should I?

Both together? ;biggrin
    Could someone not just organise a Monty Python ton weight dropped from a great height?

• edited August 2016
    Haven't sat down at Anfield in my last 5 visits. ;biggrin

But there again everyone were standing ;wahoo

• There are a lot of very thick people out there with short memories.

I can't be sure who that comment was aimed at, but I'm hoping I know what you meant, in general

If you could clarify?
  • The seating plan is a huge thing for me.

Not giving people the chance to orientate themselves in the new ground meant that fans may have got tickets in areas that they would not have done had they realised, say, they were in the equivalent of Chav corner.

Oh the wheelchair area does not have an obstructed view if those in the lower west stand, stand. As far as I can tell.

This.....this.....and more THIS!!!

so why was the seating plan and bands not released, I will tell you why because the club knew that due to the +2 scheme there would be fans that paid more for a worse seat (whether that be view/comparable or whatever)

IMO

I brought it up, a lot. The safe standing issues and that fans WILL stand regardless of the rules.

What are the club going to do about it? I and many others asked.

The response was 'well officially you can't stand but......' Nudge nudge wink wink.

Despise this being an issue raised often the club didn't seem to think it was an issue'.

It is and it was always going to be.

In the 10 years I was in the BML I got one generic dear supporter letter about standing and was asked to sit down no more than 4 or 5 times.

They dropped the ball.

Of all the issues surrounding the new stadium this was always going to be the biggest bone of contention.

I don't understand why they ignored it.

Thank you Suze for the information

I'll tell you why they ignored it, because it wasn't as high a priority (nowhere near) as getting rid of plus 2's and as many ST as possible

IMO
  • In truth Slizzy I don't think that was the reason.

I think they were very worried about fans thinking the view would be poor and so not buying tickets.

I think they wanted to show us at the reservation centre first, to control the information until all season tickets were purchased.
  • Until it was too late.

Well that has created its own problem and this one can not be brushed aside.

Short sighted and quite frankly stupid.