Tony Carr

Comments

• Claret and Hugh
    In our view whatever Tony gets he will deserve.
    Classic.
  • Having opened the discussion I feel I should state after less than 24 hours, how i know feel:

Tony Carr has been a great servant and will always be a legend.

However I believe he has been treated more than fairly.

He made £100,000s from his testimonial.

Was paid £250,000 for his recent two year ambassadorial contract where he had to do very little.

He is 66 years old and at retirement age.

Like most in football he had a fixed term contract.

He was asked to continue like a lot of ex pros at one day a week and rejected it.

The only thing i would say is in hindsight it would almost be better to have not paid him anything and just said thank you and goodbye, and of course state you are always welcome back.

The PR doesn't help the club.

:(
  • edited July 2016
    Tony Carr will be 66 in September, past retirement age (apparently)

Claudio Ranieri will be 65 in October
    Arsene Wenger will be 68 in October
    Gus Hiddink will be 70 in November

David Sullivan will be 68 next February, David Gold will be 80 in September
  • Aslef- normal retirement age has no legal standing - to enforce termination of employment based on an individual's age constitutes automatic unfair dismissal- unless that individual has agreed to a contractual arrangement which states a 'retirement date'.

Normal Retirement Age (NRA) is now only used to indicate a date when State Pension Entitlement commences.
  • ExWHU says there's more to this than is being shown in the press. Wait until full details are out before throwing the book at the Dave's.

But why let facts get in the way when this is a great chance to abuse the owners/club? ;whistle
    The facts seem to be out there and the original story has the numbers close or right, plus the offer of one day a week.

Sometimes the reports are right, not all the time, but some of the time and it's not about bashing or abusing anyone, it's about voicing concerns about yet another PR gaff of huge proportions.
  • MIAHammer said:

He was offered a role that would have kept him at the club but decided to leave. His lucrative 2-year contract is coming to a to an end. He had had a testimonial where he made a lot of money.
    He is past the retirement age. I assume (and sincerely hope) that he has a fairly lucrative company pension that he can now pull.
    He has been very well compensated for his service.
    We are a business not a charity.

Unlike some previous episodes I don't think this was a PR nightmare of our own making. Someone leaked this story, probably from Mr. Carr's side.

It's not about the money, he never mentioned the 14K from what I saw in the report, the tabloid did, based on fairly easy calculations.

it's about how it was done after 50 odd years with the club.

You can be a business, but still try and do the right thing by one of your own.

They've learned nothing over the Moore, Lyall, Bonds saga's, absolutely nothing.

They've let a geezer walk out of a meeting/situation and then got asked a question, replied with an honest answer but a negative one, something probably wasn't right.
  • I can't understand how the club didn't think this might make us really very cross.

I'm more inclined the think that they just didn't care.
  • Slizzy , agree with all of that ;ok

Cheers mate, I'm probably on a 2-1 deal soon, so keep hitting those buttons me old mucker!
  • I can't understand how the club didn't think this might make us really very cross.

I'm more inclined the think that they just didn't care.

I think they need saving from themselves some of the time Suze.

They do some really good work, decent stuff without it we would've been struggling, but they seem to leave themselves open to the most basic of errors or PR mistakes, in the last 5-6 years we've seen many of them.

I honestly think they can't find the balance between it being a business and in some cases people's lives.
  • edited July 2016
    Oh yeah Slizzy, when they drop a gaff they well and truly drop a doozy of a gaff.

• this has possibly just made it worse for me.....

Now they've gone into detail about his compensation when most knew about his Testimonial and his latest deal................

They've completely missed the point IMO
  • I'm with Sweepy on this one. Yes, he has been with the club for a very long time but then again he got his testimonial a while back, the income of which went to him in total. He was also on a very good wage.
    He was offered a new deal but decided to decline it, was offered a compensation and decided he didn't like what was offered and went to the press.

Now we will probably never know the entire truth but imho this stinks. To me it's like he went to the press in the hope of forking out more money.
  • They are not even in the same continent as the point.

;doh
  • edited July 2016

I'm with Sweepy on this one. Yes, he has been with the club for a very long time but then again he got his testimonial a while back, the income of which went to him in total. He was also on a very good wage.
    He was offered a new deal but decided to decline it, was offered a compensation and decided he didn't like what was offered and went to the press.

Now we will probably never know the entire truth but imho this stinks. To me it's like he went to the press in the hope of forking out more money.

This was sweepy's opening points.....(not having a go)

"Reading on Twitter that he's being made redundant and offered £14,000. He's been with the club for 43 years and for some of those years he did a tremendous job, and has made the club a lot of money. It seems to me that £14,000 for 43 years of service can't be right. If true it's pretty disgraceful.

Did he make a substantial amount from his testimonial? Is that why? Even so, the owners are out of order if true.

Also you normally get a week for every year you've served (on top of your notice period). Unless he's freelance or has short term contracts I can't see this being right.
  • and why now? Why not at the end of last season when we were saying goodbye to everything.

• It's like they thought we wouldn't notice.
  • This story has certainly taken the focus off the lack of transfer business we are doing, now that is a good bit of a diversion tactic however unintentional. ;hmm
  • ExWHU says there's more to this than is being shown in the press. Wait until full details are out before throwing the book at the Dave's.

But why let facts get in the way when this is a great chance to abuse the owners/club? ;whistle
    The facts seem to be out there and the original story has the numbers close or right, plus the offer of one day a week.

Sometimes the reports are right, not all the time, but some of the time and it's not about bashing or abusing anyone, it's about voicing concerns about yet another PR gaff of huge proportions.
    Sorry, but to bash the club based on rumours on Twitter or anything that the Daily Mail has written is laughable.

I prefer to wait until the facts are known, rather than what 'seem' like facts.
  • Horse.

Bolt.

Stable door.

Shut.
  • Slizzy , agree with all of that ;ok

Cheers mate, I'm probably on a 2-1 deal soon, so keep hitting those buttons me old mucker!
    Just given you another agree. That will do for today ;whistle ;run

Sorry, but to bash the club based on rumours on Twitter or anything that the Daily Mail has written is laughable.

I prefer to wait until the facts are known, rather than what 'seem' like facts.
    But the facts are out there, Gold has confirmed it, sully junior has written about it and the club have penned something.

Although it appears Scott Duxbury granted the testimonial that the current owners appear to be taking some/any credit for?
  • All the elements which people are attacking the club for are based on speculation.
  • and why now? Why not at the end of last season when we were saying goodbye to everything.

Maybe because he was still in contract at the end of last season?

Would you expect your employer to announce you are leaving before they knew you were going to reject an offer of continued employment?
  • All the elements which people are attacking the club for are based on speculation.

Really?

Read his quotes.

He doesn't mention money as far as I can tell.

Seems to me the ones defending the club are basing that on the Mail headline?
  • Slizzy

You're probably right, but what did Carr think would happen by going to the Mail?

That they would present an unbiased, fair picture?

Shouldn't loyalty go both ways?

Having seen more of the story, I think the club are less at fault than I originally thought.

He hasn't simply been axed; he got a lucrative sinecure job for a couple of years to take him up to his pension, and could have carried that on in a part time capacity.

He chose not to accept that.
  • I'm not sure he went to the Mail Mr G.....

He was at the Bobby Moore plaque ceremony, there was a reporter there, possibly Charles Sale and I'm sure he got asked a general question. To which he replied honestly at the time, how he felt.

Tony Carr never mentioned the money or the 14K that was probably the reporter who did the basic math.

He got offered a one day a week role or the 14K, again I say forget the money side, that was the click bait the article offered up. I don't care what he was or wasn't offered, he didn't have to of been dealt with by some HR bod as if he was a 6 month employee who did part time stewarding (no disrespect to those that do)

He deserved more than that and a bit of respect. I've never argued the bloke didn't do very well out of his time at WHU and from what I've read, neither has he, again he never mentioned the money side.

He's extremely disappointed at the way the club handled it. Should he of said anything, probably not but that just goes to show how he feels, plus he's probably been tucked up a bit by the reporter as well.

How difficult would it of been, for example to give him a life title, you know like that fantastic ex chairman/owner has Mr Brown, oh hang on, Mr Carr didn't walk in with a 3m cheque when they needed to bridge a gap, did he.

How difficult would it of been to of made that award on the pitch during the Juve game before or HT?

He's from the same era as Moore, Bonds, Lyall and others, he deserved to be treated better.

The current owners are even taking the credit for his testimonial, it wasn't granted by them!

With the owners I live by this, most of the time stuff doesn't bother me, when they do well, they get praise, when they mess up, they get flack, it's really that simple and it's not bashing for the sake of it as some would believe.

Just my opinion mind

;ok
  • Absolutely spot on Slizzy, spot on.
  • Thanks Suze

;thumbsup

What annoys me just as much is that the majority of these PR gaffs have been so avoidable

;angry