Michail Antonio

Comments

• “Betway acknowledges that this particular tweet is inappropriate in light of our relationship with West Ham United, of which we are extremely proud. We would like to apologies to Michail, Slaven and the club for any offence caused.”
  • "But he was an accident waiting to happen..."
  • edited August 2016
    Maybe better suited to this thread...

Izzy - have an agree. ;ok

Didn't understand Slav. Very unlike him. The sub after the foul, then no acknowledgement or "just weren't your game mate, next time maybe".

Only thing that I can think of is that he's a bit wound up about the way Antonio has gone about it, with his interview and that. Maybe he's had a bit of a mope on in training, the "I can't" attitude and that incident where he dribbled the ball out of defence and then made the foul summed that all up?

Almost like Antonio always had in his head that he wanted to prove in that game he couldn't do it. Maybe Slav has told him not to dribble and run when under pressure, but when we have the possession and space to do it?

Tbh, I don't subscribe to the "poor Antonio" view. He's a professional footballer, who should be able to adapt his game slightly and follow instructions. This isn't going from a
    CB to left winger. He's simply dropping back a few yards. He can still do all the things he wants to do, but he has to be more responsible. He's mid twenties not 18.

I think that was the reason for Slav's actions. He's made a call, Antonio isn't fully on board with it and as a result he's not making a committed attempt to grow into the position. Then his body language after the sub was very poor. Expected more from MA tbh.

Just my view though.
  • Slav takes the bulk of the blame re Antonio IMO - quite clearly our most effective winger last season (because I don't consider Payet to be a winger). Goals and assists galore from him. Slav was also at fault for leaving him stewing in the first half of last season when he should have been given his chance.

So having established himself as a formidable attacker, Slav decides to fix what isn't broken, when Byram had been bought in Jan.

True MA might have done certain things differently, but he also has his own career and aspirations to consider. He possibly missed out on representing his country at a championship finals because of Slav playing him at r/b

And now on top of everything else he has now become the figure of ridicule re: the tweets. What's that going to do for his confidence?

A total shambles from top to toe and IMO it is of Slav's making

• edited August 2016
    Baracks - but the new full-back is not like the old one.

Shaw, Walker, Rose, Cresswell, Bellerin, Coleman, Byram, Bertrand etc in fact I could make a case for all of those playing as wingers. In fact, most have at least once.

Antonio is not fancied by Slav as a winger. The reason why is he isn't that good. He's very raw, very bull in a china shop and very limited technically. So he relies on his unpredictable approach. He is, however, quick, strong and good in the air, all things you'd want in a modern day full-back. He isn't very good with the ball under pressure, as shown Monday. He's also not very intelligent, footballing brain wise.

Don't think he gets a get out of jail card because he's not meant to be a defender. He wasn't meant to be a winger, but converted to that from a striker.
  • I think he would be an absolute beast as an out and out striker.
  • Luke

But the facts will say that he gets assists and gets goals from a wide attacking position - and he has done that in both the championship and the PL

Isn't that what being an attacker is about? Lots and lots of non West Ham supporters were calling for his inclusion in the euros.

His contributions helped get us to where we got to last season. Just because he is not silky smooth like David silva it would be crass to write him off as a winger IMO

as for Slav not fancying him, it may well be that, like Pedro, he wasn't a signing of the manager's choice.
  • Every manager has there 'thing' the one 'thing' that the fans just don't understand.

Pardew and Mullins
    Sam and Nolan

This is Slav's
  • Personally I think right side of mid field would be his best position.
  • It's a strange one, as much as the rest of us seem certain that Antonio should be starting further up the pitch (apart from Luke ;wink )...but Slav cannot or will not accept it...
    Like Barracks said, when he got his
    Chance last season he took it, and probably was apart from Payet our best signing...
    I was not over amused on Monday with the way it happened, but it's clear to see there is something not right...
    It will be very interesting to see his position in our next 2 games, both IMO very important games, will he get a chance to play in his preferred position or not at all...
    Byram looked fine when coming on at RB and should be given a chance IMO , but sadly will that mean we will see little of Antonio?
    Injuries again might just give him 1 or 2 chances , but will Slav threw it his way....
  • Every manager has there 'thing' the one 'thing' that the fans just don't understand.

Pardew and Mullins
    Sam and Nolan

This is Slav's

absolutely agree. Although there is only one who got dogs abuse about it.

That being said, I've been surprised at how much "flack" Slav has got, online, more than I thought he would.
  • According to Ex he was involved in a training ground incident yesterday.
  • Get the feeling this season could completely implode.
  • edited August 2016
    In the clip on twitter of the players arriving in Romania, Slav looked to be limping.

*Puts that there, then steps slowly away, all the time looking unobtrusive*

;sofa

;whistle ;wink
  • Hamstew said:

According to Ex he was involved in a training ground incident yesterday.

I've read that it was the players coming to his defence........
  • Get the feeling this season could completely implode.

ITK
  • Hamstew said:

According to Ex he was involved in a training ground incident yesterday.

I've read that it was the players coming to his defence........
    I read that too, that the senior players rallied around Antonio. They are a tight group and if this is true its good to see.
  • As long as it doesn't lead to players v management
  • True, but there is no reason why there can not be a frank exchange of views.

Bilic is the boss and in the end they will have to do what he says but I like them standing up for Antonio.
  • Suze ;ok I agree.

But my worry is he is the boss, and had told MA he wants him to play RB. MA says no, so Bilic is forced to back down.

What message does that send about his authority?
  • I'd respect him for it Luke.

But I do understand that it is a delicate balance.
  • My main concern re this situation is at the moment and recent times it seems that Slav does not want Antonio playing in his preferred position..when the reality is when he has played there he was often a game changer and led to us getting goals and points, so if he did that and still does not impress it baffles me to as what Slav wanted, but with all these injuries just perhaps he will get his chance again ;pray
  • He plays on the wing and he creates goals and scores them.

But obviously that isn't good enough it seems ;hmm
  • So Slav hasn't noticed that ;hmm
  • I think now Antonio has seen how difficult it can be at RB, he'll get back and defend more to help Bryan out more than say a Fegouhli or a Tore would.
  • I remember when I played football, I was always begging my coach to let me play right wing, and every Saturday, without fail, he'd say "This week, son, you're left back... in the changing room!"
  • I lived just outside Colchester for a year back in the early noughties and I joined the local Sunday league team. Now considering I'd played centre back from the age of 10 and the manager knew this, being put on the wing on my first game came as a bit of surprise. What made it worse is that for the entire first half we were playing into a brutal head wind. By my own admission, I didn't have a great 45 minutes, but I thought with the wind behind me in the second half, I'd be able to put in a better performance.

Getting played out of position was one thing, but getting subbed at half time on debut is quite another. Even the lad that was throwing up before and during the first half because he had a hangover stayed on!

I think I played one more game for them. Came on late in the second half, again on the wing, and despite having a 100% pass completion rate (and it was a very good pass...), I didn't feel like it was the best team for me.

Their loss, and all that...
  • Personally, I don't get why it's this difficult for him to adjust. I still play (I'm 30 btw). I used to play as a holding mid, more of a passer than a tackler, but now I prefer to play like a number 10. I've never had the pace for a winger, but I've played there and made it work. I've also played up top, centre back and both right and left back. I've good and bad games in every position. Yes, I have my preferred position, but I can play in any of them, at my level, so I don't see why Antonio has gone from brilliant to abysmal. I'd except him to be slightly worse but not as bad as he has been.

Having said that, he was proven to get goals and assists on the wing more easily than other wingers at our disposal so I would rather he was played there and do agree that Slav has been wrong on this.