The official 'Tomkins has gone to Crystal Palace' thread.

Comments

• but at least the tea lady is world class , I think this could kick off our window now and we will see some new players coming in ;pray
  • A big blow, but I'll wait until I hear what Slaven says before being too judgemental; he understands the club and will recognise the feeling around this transfer so IMO it best to wait to hear his clarification. The reason why I selected my user name on the old BBC 606 all those years ago was was because I thought Tomkins would be good enough to play for England, and I still stand by that belief; going to CPFC and playing week in week out at CB alongside Dann could put them both in contention for the national team.

The only way this deal makes sense (to me) is if Burke, Oxford and others are given a genuine chance and platform to break through this season. I'm of the firm belief that talent without opportunity is nothing and certain clubs (whufc included) should take a much more proactive role in doing so. However, if another experienced season pro is brought into the club which would jeopardise the opportunities to Burke (for example) then it would be disappointing.

Going back onto Tomkins- Great ambassador for the club, Loyal, committed, classy defender, good footballer and someone who always gave everything for WHU- whether it be paying CB, RB, LB, CM or DM- he always stood up to task at hand. As we have seen with James Collins, the end is just the beginning, and who knows.... we may very well see him rejoin at some stage.

P.S the name stays ;bowdown ;bowdown ;bowdown

• well said Tomkins ;ok
  • he's everything oxford and Burke want to be ;ok
  • Burke this year, Oxford following year. Burke Oxford. 2019/2020 established first choice partnership.

Forcing the smile... And his eyes show the pain we are feeling...
  • Sorry to see him go but as TWC says hopefully this makes way for the youngsters to step up.

At 27 Tomkins needs to be playing regular.

Good Luck James....
  • edited July 2016
    I think it's purely to allow Burke an opportunity. He had a season of first team football and proved himself (albeit in the football league), but there was a real risk he'd leave if he didn't see a path into the first team.

Reid and Ogbonna are clearly Slav's first choice pairing, and Ginge is a reliable deputy, so Tomkins was, IMO, sacrificed for the long term future of our defence.

Incidentally, I think we may see something similar with Obiang/Oxford.
  • Maybe he's agoraphobic and would prefer Palace's tiny ground to our brand new big one. It may of course have been the lure of playing with Adebayor.
  • And I don't mean sold either ;biggrin lets be honest if oxford and burke don't eventually get a chance they will be off soon , so it kind of makes sense really although in the real world if a player isn't happy being a squad player you have to respect that and 10m is a good amount for a player who came through the youth
    system .
  • Makes sense for all involved....

But it still hurts....

;ok
    My feelings as well...
    Good luck, and I agree I'm sure he'd have loved to stay and be our 1st choice CB but it wasn't the way ...
    Good luck JT
  • he's everything oxford and Burke want to be ;ok

Except being at Palace ;biggrin
  • ;lol #ThornKnows
  • BurkeWorldClass
  • Who wants to play for Palace?
  • He's probably quite sad ;weep
  • bye bye tonks

;weep

Good luck JT.
  • He's probably looked at their stadium and thought "their training pitch almost looks like a real ground so their actual ground must be amazing"
  • ;weep sad still when pardew takes over England we can buy him back in a year ;biggrin
  • Good luck to the boy
  • Hate moments like this,feel really sad,was always happy that Nobes and Tonks were in the team......Local boys make you feel like it`s the West Ham you grew up with
  • Local boys ;hmm ince and defoe come to mind feel better now ;biggrin
  • Defoe wasn`t at our place at 8 yrs old like Tonks,poached from Charlton at 16 i think,can`t think of a reposte for Ince i`m afraid Steve
  • Tomkins is one of our babies.

Defoe was not.

#sad
  • but when you adopt something no one else wants and you love and look after it only to find they leave home and kick you in the teeth then you dont love it quite so much hence my ince and defoe remarks ,not saying that about tonks just that local boys can come back and hurt you ;wink
  • agree Steve,wouldn`t be surprised to see Tonks soaring at the far post to score against us next season,still sad about this though,as Suz said,one of our babies.