Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

Comments

• This is my basic problem with most loan deals. Any reasonably competitive team does not see a loan player as key to their lineup but more as a backup, especially when they're young. They don't care about giving him experience and they certainly don't want to risk their own chances with an untested player.

I think a failed loan doesn't prove anything because it seems to me that most loans do fail.
  • Outcast ;ok

Particularly a team in form and in with a shout at promotion. Why would they disrupt the team? He would have been better going to a League One team and getting games, like what Cullen has done at Bradford.
  • Outcast, ;thumbsup I prefer any youth player go to the right club, not necessarily the biggest or most attractive to aid their development. Burke and Cullen are really good examples of the right kind of moves for them to do their apprenticeships- which IMO is what it should be about- going out and learning your craft and the industry. Conversely, some have been misjudged such as Marcus Browne at Wigan, who then went onto sign something like 10 players on transfer deadline day which obviously reduces his opportunities.
  • Wigan have just sacked their manager.
  • I think that makes it even less likely that Browne & Burke will get many minutes. Anyone coming in will be wanting to plan for next season
  • MrsG, so it's not all bad news then. ;biggrin
  • Drew 0-0 at St James's Park tonight. Masuaku got sent off after 30 mins ;doh

Browne returned from Wigan to play.

Fernandes + Fletcher also played
  • Not sure the source but I just saw this on twitter..

IMG_1196
  • Interesting.
  • edited March 2017
    More worrying than interesting if true. We've often wondered what we do in training so the answer may be very little.
  • But I've seen many times managers/U23 coaches saying youth players need to get out an experience what it is like when you are training for matches where it is your livelihood - the emotion and intensity is different.

So that comment doesn't seem to contradict what club bosses say - it's why they send players out on loan, in part.
  • But he was in our first team squad and included in some match squads.
  • I noticed that Brighton's captain, Bruno, was quoted on the gossip column on BBC today as saying that the Premier League will be "less physical" if they get promoted. The intensity of the Championship is often higher than what you see in the Premier League, so it makes sense for the training to match.

We know very little about what we do in training, but that isn't unusual for our club compared to others.
  • But what are they comparing between the training? If he is training with Readings first team squad and comparing it to the training with the development squad at West Ham it would probably be more intense.
  • Oxford trains with the first team though doesn't he?
  • Not sure. Only some of the time?
  • Either way answers why he hasn't been playing while on loan, which has been a topic on conversation.

So we should draw a line and judge his loan spell from now.
  • --------------------------------------------------------------
    there you go ;ok
  • bbb, too many gaps in that line of defence. ;biggrin
  • As we come toward the end of the season, I was just thinking over who might be in contention for our Young Hammer of the Year award.

Recent winners:

2015/16 - Reece Oxford - 17yrs - 12 apps
    2014/15 - Reece Burke - 18yrs - 6 apps
    2013/14 - Sam Howes - 16yrs - 0 apps
    2012/13 - George Moncur - 19yrs - 1 app
    2011/12 - Dan Potts - 18yrs - 4 apps
    2010/11 - Freddie Sears - 21yrs - 15 apps, 2 goals
    2009/10 - Zavon Hines - 21yrs - 15 apps, 2 goals
    2008/09 - Jack Collison - 20yrs - 24 apps, 3 goals
    2007/08 - James Tomkins - 19yrs - 6 apps

Looking at the list above, and taking into account their ages and appearances during the season in which they won, here are the main candidates for this season (age listed is age they will be at the time):

Ashley Fletcher - 21yrs - 17 apps, 1 goal
    Edimilson Fernandes - 21yrs - 22 apps, 1 goal
    Sam Byram - 23yrs - 14 apps
    Reece Oxford - 18yrs - 2 apps
    Domingos Quina - 17yrs - 2 apps
    Marcus Browne - 19yrs - 1 app
  • No Josh Cullen?
  • Was going to say Josh Cullen too Mrs G.

Declan Rice in with a shout too, now captains the dev squad
  • I didn't include Josh Cullen on the basis that he has made 0 first team appearances whereas Oxford, Quina & Browne all have.

I think the most likely is Ashley Fletcher, tbh.
  • From that list it would be Fernandes for me but it must include the Development Squad members.
  • Toni Martinez?
  • I think Twist has called it. My money's on Declan Rice
  • I'd go for Declan Rice, as there is no stand out player who has featured within the 1st team and shone. Rice has made huge progress this season; from featuring regularly in pre-season with the 1st team, to being an integral member of the U23's, becoming captain at very young age and signing a new deal at the club.
  • What about the Dylan Tombides Award for the younger players - did it used to be called 'academy player of the year'?
  • MrsGrey ;ok

That's where I see the academy & development players being the prime candidates. I think looking at the history of the YHOTY it is likely that someone with first team appearances will win, tbh.
  • Reece Oxford got 20 minutes at the end of Reading's win over Leeds at the weekend (third time in a row he's made it onto the pitch) and got his head stamped on.