Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

Comments

• Who was thrashed us or them?
  • Us 4-0 to Luton away
  • Well not thrashed.

Comfortably beaten by a side with much older and more mature players.

Not easy to play seasoned league adults as kids.
  • If your good enough your old enough I’d say and when we were beat 4-0 by Everton it was described as a thrashing lol
  • Some of these seasoned league adults are former academy players of ours who weren't considered good enough to make the grade.
  • who weren't considered good enough to make the grade
    What grade? There's a gulf in class between a player good enough to play in the PL and one good enough to play L2 level. (Yes, yes, I know some PL2 players come up through the ranks, but they are precious, precious few, compared to those that don't.)

And how do you know that is why they were released?

Perhaps some of them chose to leave to get more regular football?
  • Realistically, the vast majority of our current batch are not going to be footballers for West Ham. A large proportion won't be professional footballers at all.

Playing against a professional adult team, it's not surprising they got beaten comfortably. And the fact a few of their players used to play for us is by the by, as far as I'm concerned. Those players were of the higher standard, clearly, as a large number of their teammates don't play at all anymore.

• Perhaps some of them chose to leave to get more regular football?

#PRudz did, for sure. The club wanted him to stay but he wanted to get on with plying his trade.

(Rob Hall was another ;ok )
  • U23s beat their Man U counterparts 3-0 last night. Goals for Diangana, Martinez (obvs) and Samuelsen.

I do hope Samuelsen gets a chance for the first team at some point. He is a very, very good player. Hopefully if we can stay away from danger he'll get a few games towards the end of the season.
  • I saw a lot of Samuelsen in a pre-session campaign what seems like for ever ago.

I agree that he is very very good.
  • Samuelsen`s goal was a cracker last night, the highlights are on the official website. I am sure that some of our youngsters would do as well as, if not better, than some of our under performers this season. Would be great to finish the season safe and with maybe 3 or 4 of the academy boys in the matchday squad.
  • edited January 2018
    Was really disappointed that Samuelsen didn't come on, on Sunday. He could have been that 1 bit of quality to decide the game.
  • edited January 2018
    So far I've been a fan of Moyes, but one thing that I really struggle to understand is his reluctance to make changes, even when things aren't working. I can't see how Samuelsen could have been less effective than Kouyate in the second half on Sunday
  • Yeah, he leaves it just a little bit too long.
  • I watched a programme on BT the other night titled "No Hunger in Paradise" it's based on a book by Michael Calvin. Arsene Wenger covered the bit about Premier League managers not giving youngsters a chance and there was a feature on Keiron Bywater who we released a few years back and who had a breakdown on the pitch when having a trial but is back playing in College football in the states. Worth watching IMHO just to see what kids who are talented at an early age are treated like.
  • 0-0 at HT against Leicester for U23s. Diangana playing well. Not heard that name before.
  • edited January 2018
    McH

I hadn't either, until I read he came on at HT against Man U and scored and set up a goal.

Here's his bio on the club site: https://www.whufc.com/teams/development-squad/squad/grady-diangana

Martinez is up against Huth tonight! Hope he makes it off in one piece.
  • McH

I hadn't either, until I read he came on at HT against Man U and scored and set up a goal.

Here's his bio on the club site: https://www.whufc.com/teams/development-squad/squad/grady-diangana

Martinez is up against Huth tonight! Hope he makes it off in one piece.

Welcome to English football at its toughest
  • Think the game ended up 0-0 Leicester I believe are second or third in the table with us fourth above city
  • edited January 2018
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/january/16-january/impressive-cullen-burke-feature-against-shrewsbury-irvine

Burke and Cullen may be loaned out again, depending on circumstances.
    “We don’t want to stop their development either. If we feel they won’t get sufficient time for us, and we can afford to do it because senior players will be involved instead, we will look at that. The boys are aware we aren’t going to keep them here and sit them in the stands.”

Reece Oxford is recovering from a training injury:
    “He was just a little bit off balance, went to strike the ball, caught the ground and hurt his ankle. It was a freak injury really and it’s one that’s been niggling him a bit. He has trained with us on Monday.
  • edited January 2018
    OCS/alderz ;ok

;doh, I'll fix it.

Memo to self: You still aren't paying enough attention, are you?
  • So Reece Oxford injured his ankle when he went to kick the ball and kicked the turf instead

I know he's not played in a while but kicking the ball is pretty basic......
  • Swansea City: Zabret, A. Lewis, Paljk, Evans, Harries, Cooper, James, Maric, Baker-Richardson, Byers, Garrick.

Subs: Gorre, Thomas, Dulca, J. Lewis, Biabi.

West Ham United: Trott, Pike, Akinola, Alese, Neufville, Makasi, Powell, Diangana, Browne, Scully, Hector-Ingram.

Subs: Belic, Matrevics, Rosa, Adarkwa.

0-0 at the break
  • What break were you on about Mc. It's 1-0 Swansea still in first half.
  • 2-0 now. It is the picture at the top of the hammers website that put me off! It still said nil nil. As for the break gawd knows
  • I had assumed a 6 kick off cos of this pic. Method to by madness!Screenshot_2018-01-29-19-48-59-1
  • Well McHammer that is off the OS and you do know how good our Club is at comms. ;lol
  • It's a sign ;pray