Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

Comments

• Bradford fans singing the Dimi song for Cullen.
  • Kouyate, Ayew and Feghouli are the only players likely to go to ACON, I don't think Sakho has had a call up since the friendly against Algeria last October.
  • Think if you look through the premier league teams there aren't a lot of 20th year old that are playing regular football

Think Cullens stature or lack of it is the reason I think he's on loan

He is a player who excels with the ball at his feet with space, the type of player who develops later unlike players who are athletes at 21

I would've liked him to go to the championship but I'd also like to see him feel what it's like to be a star and have to suffer the expectation the fans now demand of him week in week out
  • Yeh but then you get to the point where Tonks remains the last academy product getting regular game time. A couple of seasons ago it was that Sam gave Burke a chance for several games and he did more than ok.
  • http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/August/18-August/Daggers-home-new-Dev-Squad-venue

I've missed the boat on changes to the format, I think...

U23s?
    Premier League 2?

To Google! ;run
  • If anyone is interested ;ok

From this season the Category 1 academies don't have an U21 league, instead it is U23.

Otherwise, it is much the same: two divisions in the league, promotion and relegation between them and play-offs.

Can play an over-age GK + 3 over-age outfield players.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/58764
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Development_League
  • Cullen motm yet again.
  • edited August 2016
    Brilliant!

(Thanks for posting ;ok )

I know it might be argued this is a bit below his level, but I do think that playing week in week out, against all different kinds of teams (hoofers, cloggers, park-the-busers, slow-slow-quick-quick-slow-ers etc) in games that matter, is such good experience. Sometimes they'll be under pressure to win (as the favourites), and sometimes expected to lose. Sometimes early goals/need to defend a lead. Sometimes go 2 down, try to fight back etc.

Can only be good for him. ;scarf
  • edited August 2016
    Excellent news. Cheers, yeold ;ok

I'm hoping he's the next Mark Noble (as in 'one of our own' for the future).
  • West Ham 3-1 Newcastle in the first development squad game at their new home in Dagenham ;scarf ;clap Toni Martinez bags a brace making it 3 in 2 ;wahoo ;clap
  • coyi ;goal coyi
  • http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/August/22-August/Westley-That-s-as-good-as-we-ve-played

“That first 45 was as good as I’ve seen us play in my two and a bit years here,” he said. ... The first half was a masterclass. (Terry Westley)

;scarf
  • ;wahoo ;clap
  • Great to see Martinez bag a couple. I notice he was subbed on 77 minutes; I wonder if he'll make the bench on Thursday ;hmm

Declan Rice has been getting good reviews, and was involved with the first team during pre-season. He could be the next centre half off the production line by the sounds of it.

Martinez, Rice, Samuelsen and Browne all look very good prospects ;clap
  • I didn't see the game but on twitter someone tweeted that Browne was MOTM.
  • edited August 2016
    I mean't to go to this game and then changed my mind at the last minute ;weep ;angry Next time then
  • Great news in Burke, need to make sure we keep onto our best young players and he's definitely one of the best atm

Interesting though the he expects to go on loan, can't see slaven brining in another CB so maybe Oxford or Nordveit are going to be 4th choice

Can't get over how many promising youth players come through, if at least half of them can make the grade then we'd be laughing

Oxford, Samuelson and Burke are the shining lights of our youth team but the like of Rice, Page, Browne, Cullen are all fantastic prospects and have been joined by Martinez & Fletcher and the ever impressive Quina

The future is bright
  • Highlights here:

• Cheers Twist ;ok Enjoyed that. Looks like we have some #ballers in the ranks
  • Samuelsen has joined Blackburn on a season's loan.

Hendrie and Sam's Son. I will be supporting Blackburn's left flank this season ;ok

Hendrie and Sam's Son. I will be supporting Blackburn's left flank this season ;ok

Shame they'll probably be in the bottom three all season.

Shame they'll probably be in the bottom three all season.
    On the plus side, two of my best mates are Rovers fans, so I (we) can get some reliable feedback on his progress!
  • edited August 2016

We have an option to recall him in January, though.

Plus he was named in the Norway squad again. ;clap
  • Does anyone know what has happened to Diego Poyet? I don't recall him playing in the pre-seasons and he hasn't played or been on bench for PL2 team.
  • Poyet played 90 minutes for the development squad against Stoke a couple of weeks ago but other than that nothing.
  • What's the Checkatrade Trophy? ;puzzled
  • Really?

You need to ask? ;whistle