Joey O Brien Released

See on KUMB that a few guys are being released - Best of luck Joey ;ok

Comments

• Always did a JO'B. All the best fella ;clap
  • edited June 2016

It's been announced on the club site, billy ;ok

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/June/7-June/Hammers-issue-Retained-List

Hope he finds another club ;thumbsup
  • Media team on the ball as always:

June after five years as a Hammer, during which time the 29-year-old helped the Club

A reliable and committed player, 30-year-old O’Brien

;doh
  • The Irish Cafu ;bowdown
  • Finally after about 5 years Pards gets his wish!!
  • Good luck, Joey.

Always felt people underrated him a bit.

If he stays injury free, he is still a decent PL RB imo.
  • Voted him as my Hammer of the Year back in 2012/13.
  • Good pro. Consistent player. Great attitude. Hope he gets a good move as it will probably be the last of his "major" career moves; so hopefully he can get a good club and a good 3 year deal.
  • All the best J'OB ;wave

Would do a good job for Sunderland.
  • He'd do a good job for anyone. 100% professional, was one of a core group of players that made us a football team again, rather than the collection of individuals West Ham were before. A great example for anyone joining the club. Many thanks JOB ;wave
  • Good luck certainly made a positive contribution.

Good signing.
  • Hope he finds a new club, always gave his best even if he was always the bridesmaid rather than the bride ;diva
  • Can play CB and even LB - a good utility player for a newly promoted club, imo.
  • Thanks Joey & best of luck.
  • Nailed on off to Burnley.
  • I reckon Villa
  • Scunthorpe

Just to continue the colour theme
  • Newcastle could do with a solid right back
  • edited June 2016
    Has Daryl Janmaat (Dutch national RB) left, then?

(Is contracted to 2020 (unless he has a release clause) and was a stand-out performer for them last season. (imo)
  • Mrs G

I believe he stood out in the attacking sense but wasn't necessarily the best at the defending lark

Could be wrong though...
  • edited June 2016
    ;ok

I didn't watch them regularly. So my view is based on some watching and some reading of match reports etc. He seemed to be good in the sense of not lazy, made stuff happen, stepped up when needed, gave 100%, etc.

Perhaps that didn't give the full picture. ;hmm

Although I think Newcastle were pretty much a shambles defensively from front to back, so not sure how much responsibility he bears.

PS (edit): If I was trying to sort out Newcastle, I'm not sure I'd be prioritising a new RB.
  • edited June 2016
    Quentin Tarantino has left the building

Back in April the Chronicle (NE local) said that Sam wanted JO'B at Sunderland as he's not happy with RBs he has and ended up playing DeAndre Yedlin on loan from Spurs.
  • Joey would be a good signing for any bottom half PL club tbh. He's a better defender than most RBs in the division, and he's pretty handy going forward too. Add in his versatility at CB, LB and DM and you've got a decent footballer.

I think he'd suit Sunderland well. They play with two very attacking fullbacks (Yedlin & van Aanholt) and it leaves them way too open. Switch out Yedlin for JOB and that side is far more balanced.