(Dont rip up the stadium just yet) Possible playoff with Liverpool?

edited May 2016 in Men's First Team
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36283099

Play off with Liverpool for Europa a possibility!

Comments

• I have just looked at the league table. If we lose 1-0 to Stoke and Liverpool win 2-1, do we stay above them in the table?
  • Exeter it depends. If a European place is at stake and two teams have same points, goal difference and goals scored they would have to play off. If there is nothing at stake then the league position is shared i.e there would be a joint 6th place for example and the next place would be 8th.
  • the clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding league matches on neutral grounds,
  • well spotted/properly read! My title seems a little foolish now!
  • I mostly hope that it doesn't come to this and we tie it all up on sunday, however there is a tiny part of me that would love to beat the scousers for the fourth time in a season, and in such an important match as well ;devil
  • No.

The season needs to end on Sunday.

We need to bash Stoke, get the 3 points.

Job done.
  • McHammer said:

well spotted/properly read! My title seems a little foolish now!

You just got carried away with the ;wahoo
  • Suz ;ok

I agree entirely, I think my journey into work this morning sat behind two Liverpool fans who were banging on and on ad nauseum about how next season was going to be "their year" might have caused me to temporarily lose my mind.

Smash Stoke,

Get into Europe,

Lets do it that way ;cool
  • The play off possibility was discussed on the Stoke thread
  • If its a neutral ground we should play at Villa Park, the locals might enjoy seeing a team in claret and blue playing decent football.....
  • ;lol

#nawty
  • #norteinortey
  • Bilic is also extremely unimpressed with the possibility of a play-off with Liverpool for a Europa League place. He said the Premier League should follow the lead La Liga and have it based on the head to head results.
  • He does make a good point ;biggrin
  • Bilic is also extremely unimpressed with the possibility of a play-off with Liverpool for a Europa League place. He said the Premier League should follow the lead La Liga and have it based on the head to head results.
    He is spot on - it should definitely be based on head to head - I've lost count of the number of times we have turned them over this season.
  • You can't change the rules at this stage of the season just because it suits can you?
  • No of course not, however the current rule is poorly thought out and should be changed going forward - I would even have thought so had the roles been reversed
  • The play off possibility was discussed on the Stoke thread

Comments brought over ;ok
  • If we were asked to play them again, could we be brought before the Hague? I'm sure it would be an act of profound cruelty.
  • Actually a point I raised before Europa so hard to play in and win I think winners should go in CL runners up to last qualifying of CL if they lose that go into Europa so in this case should be irrelevant in relation to this thread it should be head to head if that is equal then it should be based on disciplinary record its nonsense to have play off unless it was for the title ;ok
  • I guess a playoff is better than if the rules were that 'the amount of games won overall' is a decider as this would put Liverpool ahead of us should we lose 1-0 and they win 2-1.
  • But it also depends on what Southampton does and the respective finals of Man Utd and Liverpool.

Only a few results guarantees a decision tomorrow:
    1. We win and nothing else matters. We're off to Europe
    2. Southampton and Liverpool don't win tomorrow and we go to Europe.
    3. We draw and Southampton don't win and we're off to Europe.
    4. We lose, Southampton don't win and Liverpool wins but doesnt overturn the goal difference deficit then we go to Europe.

Any other combination of results would need to wait on the results of the Man Utd and Liverpool finals to decide if we go to Europe or if a playoff is required.

One thing is certain, regardless of what happens tomorrow, we're not going to be out of the race to Europe ..... yet.

Let's just take the uncertainty out of the equation and win tomorrow!
  • Wouldn't worry about it, we're not losing
  • http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36296490

Can't believe some fans are opposing a charity game being played by the Ladies' team at the Boleyn, because they don't want it to be the last game...

Really?

And the club are putting it to a vote?

Pathetic.
  • http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36296490

Can't believe some fans are opposing a charity game being played by the Ladies' team at the Boleyn, because they don't want it to be the last game...

Really?

And the club are putting it to a vote?

Pathetic.

Pathetic fans, ridiculous decision by the club.
  • edited May 2016
    ;angry it's just stupid
  • From what I previously read the 'charity' was the Ladies' team.

Please correct me if I misread that.
  • The funny thing is certain people are up in arms about this but there are a couple of other games already scheduled

• Quite pathetic really. Like it's gonna make much difference if there are a few low key charity etc games going on.