Pre-Season July/August 2016 (and Olympic Stadium opening ceremony)

edited August 2016 in Men's First Team
It may seem a bit previous to have a thread, but the club has just announced the final pre-season game will be against Juventus at the new stadium.

So I thought, why not. ;biggrin

Comments

• Club announcement:

West Ham United are delighted and honoured to announce that Juventus will provide the opposition for the historic opening fixture at the Club’s new home.

The Hammers will welcome the Italian giants to the Stadium on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on Sunday 7 August 2016 at 1pm, as the two sides compete for the Betway Cup.

Read more at http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/April/25-April/Juventus-to-open-new-Stadium#lcoBBLxT3JTlKVSL.99
  • ;scarvwal ;scarvwal ;scarvwal
  • Tickets go on sale to season ticket holders from 12 noon today!
  • Shame C32T doesn't still play for them
  • Got mine ;wahoo
    Beware the "from £20.." Mine cost £50. ;cool ;scarf
  • Compare with U21 cup final ticket that I have for tonight, £3.
  • Got mine too.
    Band A - £40

;wahoo
  • £40-£50 for a pre-season kickabout? ;hmm
  • No, £20 to £50 for stadium opening
  • IronHerb ;ok ;ok

The Olympic Stadium opening ;wahoo ;wahoo ;nolan ;barrera ;scarf

• (in football mode)
  • So we'll of left one old lady

To end up playing in a new stadium against another old lady
  • Anybody reckon it was part of the Ogbonna deal?
  • IronHerb said:

No, £20 to £50 for stadium opening

Regardless, great way to usher in the 'affordable football' legacy.
  • and Alessandro Del Piero has retired ;weep
  • Anybody reckon it was part of the Ogbonna deal?

No.
  • Lukerz

There are tickets available at £20 for adults and £10 for kids.

Pretty affordable, I'd say, especially as demand is likely to massively outstrip demand.

I say well done for not gouging fans desperate to be at the first game in the OS.
  • It depends what band your season ticket is in.

• My ticket is £25.
  • Band 1 is £40 (adult) - season ticket in Band 1 averages £47 per game over season of 19 games so sounds reasonable to me.
  • £40-£50 for a pre-season kickabout? ;hmm

Only in certain areas and probably not the majority by a long stretch, it could've been a lot lot worse imo.

It is top notch European opposition as well. Gives Pogba a chance to check out the facilities before we buy him

;whistle
  • Saw Pogba play when I was in Firenze in Jan, didn't ring any bells,
    not really good enough for us ;biggrin
  • West Ham United are delighted and honoured to announce that Juventus will provide the opposition for the historic opening fixture at the Club’s new home.
    ;hmm ..... So if we do qualify for a European Competition (Europa Cup), is this confirmation we will not play any of the qualifying home matches at the OS, thought they started in early - mid July time .....
  • Yep, which makes the £20-£50 tickets even more odd, as it won't be the grand opening.
  • Nope. As it stands this is our opening fixture.
    As we haven't qualified for anything at the moment they can't stay this is our 2nd or 3rd game.
  • edited April 2016
    But they can't really brand it as 'The' opening fixture yet then either...

But then I suppose advertising it as the 'Provisional (European Competition Qualification pending)' or 'If we don't qualify for Europe, then this is the opening fixture' would not have the same pulling power to sell the tickets.

;nonono Good Grief, I can't believe how cynical I am becoming ..... ;yercoat
  • IronHerb said:

Nope. As it stands this is our opening fixture.
    As we haven't qualified for anything at the moment they can't stay this is our 2nd or 3rd game.

This.

The club have sorted the yearly home pre-season friendly.

One could reasonably assume they will do the same for European games should we qualify.

We have the OS from the end of June.
  • We wouldn't be in the preliminary rounds if we qualify through league position, so wouldn't be in Europe until late August, I believe
  • If we qualify in the last place, effectively the Man City league cup slot, we would be obliged to participate in the 3rd qualifying round, with games on 28th July and 4th August ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.