Our Best XI (and formation)

edited April 2016 in Men's First Team
Thread started to accommodate a line of discussion that has developed in the Watford match thread.

Comments migrating shortly ;ok

Comments

• Kouyate - Noble
    Sakho - Payet - Antonio
    Carroll
  • For me it has to be Antonio on the right Lanzini on the left and then pick between Sakho & Carroll depending on opponent
  • I actually think Slav secretly likes Carroll above all of his other strikers, and more than what our previous manager did.

• But we've been saying play Antonio on the wings for weeks but he's still at RB so think we need to establish that this is Bilics prefered way
  • Obviously Byram isn't quite ready yet, that's fine he was bought for the future....I'd rather we wait then potentially break him.

I love it when some fans shout "get the kids in", when they're the same fans that probably boo'd Lampard, Ince and jumped on everyone's back as soon as possible.
  • IMO, our best XI is: Adrián; Tomkins Reid Ogbonna Cresswell; Noble Kouyate; Antonio Payet Lanzini; Carroll
  • I still like sakho over Carroll but the other places pretty much pick themselves

Maybe collins for reid whos struggled a little but think it's a lot to do with us having Antonio at RB
  • I think that with Tomkins at RB Reid and Ogbonna have way more protection and it really helps them. Almost ends up as a back 3 at times.

That formation allows us to very quickly switch between 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-3, which is really useful.
  • I think Reid struggles because he's changed sides at the back since Ogbonna has arrived.
  • And he has to cover the aches of space Antonio leaves behind him

And let's be honest as much as we love noble and Kouyate they don't really sit deep they are both quote adventurous in their own ways
  • Expat, I totally agree with that.

That's why I think Tomkins works well at RB. Gives the defence far more balance, as Reid gets sucked a bit too central from the right.
  • Tomkins not quick enough for full back
  • edited April 2016

I think Reid struggles because he's changed sides at the back since Ogbonna has arrived.

I think that too, I also think Ogbonna need to be a lot more careful with hands all over the opposition players in our penalty box.
  • I disagree pards.

Maybe not as an attacking one, but with him sitting deeper we are a much more solid unit.
  • I've got no problems with JT at full back. He's done good when asked.
  • True
    But we like to play pressing football now and he doesn't fit that at full back
  • When you look at teams like Everton and Arsenal, they often get caught out on the break because everyone presses forward. I think that leaving someone back with the centre halves can be really useful, and shores us up a bit.

• Tonks at RB until we have a proper DM.
  • edited April 2016
    I know he's left footed, but how about Ogbonna at RB and Tonks back at CB. Ogbonna has better pace and has played full back before, from Wiki:

Ogbonna is also capable of playing as a left-back on occasion, due to his pace, technique, ball skills, vision, and distribution with his left foot

There would be the added bonus of possibly reducing his manhandling in the box ;biggrin and also Reid could go back to his better position.
  • But Oggi is a better CB imo. I think he is our best CB as it happens.

Tomkins is an ok RB but gets dragged across to the middle to easily.
  • Adrian
    Tomkins Reid Ogonna Cresswell
    Noble Kouyate
    Antonio Payet Lanzini
    Sakho

For me

Fairly straight forward for me except one thing, Reid or Collins. I've been very impressed with Ogbonna and now he's imo our best CB.
    Collins perhaps made us more secure but he played a lot of the games where Tomkins was at RB AND we had to play with 3 holding midfielders as we were short of attackers
    Reid is the better player so gets my vote

Then between carrol and sakho feel to get anything out of Andy we need to get it spot on whereas with sakho if the crosses aren't quote being delivered well enough he can stil l make something happen other ways. With Carroll it's hit him with the perfect cross or bust whereas sakho is good with the ball at his feet, ball in the air or running behind the lines
  • edited April 2016
    Adrian
    Tomkins - Reid - Ogbonna
    Antonio - Kouyate - Noble - Cresswell
    Payet
    Sakho - Carroll

Randolph, Collins, Byram, Obiang, Lanzini, Moses, Valencia

I think if we could get that side out consistently and work on it regularly, that would be the most balanced side and best side we could get on the pitch.

In the summer, if we could replace Valencia, Moses and Obiang with genuine quality, even if we spent all our budget on the three players, we'd be well placed.
  • Replace Obiang ;hmm
  • Yea dont see why we'd sell obiang

23/24, hasn't put a foot wrong and was signed for a nice fee and nice wages

Noble and Kouyate aren't getting dropped and doubt we'd go 3 in the middle as our best XI so doubt we'll see a CM especially with Nordveit signed as well
  • edited April 2016
    Tbh, not sure what Obiang offers. Bit of a 'meh' player. I'd like to keep him as I midfield option, but we need to replace him in the 18 with a proper quality DM.
  • I'd play Obiang above Noble every day of he week. He's mobile, pacey and tackles well.

;run
  • I'd rather replace Ogbonna
  • Think that's a bit harsh

He's tidy in possession and while he's not a crunching tackler he's normally well position which allows him to make nice interceptions and defensively is our most disciplined player

If we can find an affordable DM then maybe but we haven't got an unlimited budget and after buying a world class Striker and another attacking player we won't have a particularly huge budget left and think replacing obiang isn't a necessity more than a luxury that we may or may not be able

Gonna be an interesting summer

How much does everyone realistically think we'll have to spend this summer

How much do we need?
  • I'd hope up to £50m.
  • edited April 2016
    IronHerb said:

I'd play Obiang above Noble every day of he week. He's mobile, pacey and tackles well.

;run

;wink

Possibly he is those things. But not seen any of them to date from him. I'd replace 'tackles' with 'fouls'.