Farewell to the Boleyn

This discussion was created from comments split from: All things Olympic Stadium related.

Comments

• Off to their new home..?

• That makes me very sad ;weep
  • Off to their new home..?

Are we going somewhere? ;hmm

You'd have thought there'd be something in the media about this ;hmm
  • OCS if you check on the Spurs forum you can probably find something out....
  • I'd have to have a long shower afterwards Vorse...
  • It appears that they went a bit early, unannounced, because of the new club store being built.

Probably caught a few out who wanted a last photo.
  • Yeah, there are quite a few who are unhappy about it.
  • "While the gates would ideally have remained in place until the end of the Farewell Boleyn season, construction timelines dictate that this week’s move is necessary to ensure they receive pride of place in their new home."
  • MrsGrey said:

"While the gates would ideally have remained in place until the end of the Farewell Boleyn season, construction timelines dictate that this week’s move is necessary to ensure they receive pride of place in their new home."
    Yep....in a store.

Not having a dig at the club, heaven forbid but I'm wondering if something could've been done, even at a cost?

;hmm
  • They did say that there would be a ceremony with the Lyall family.

They didn't put it on the web site today until after that photo hit social media.

They should have done better.

Much better.
  • Have to say I agree. Not for me as I made my last trip to the Boleyn in January but my father will be going one more time and I know he would have taken a pic in front of the gates. A small quibble perhaps, but a shame nonetheless. I know it would have meant a lot to him.
  • From Sean Whetstone, whose info can be relied upon..

Lyall family were briefed, I am not sure they had much say in it, I am told they didn't complain when the plans were changed. You will be aware there is a fragile relationship between the club and the family after their tickets were taken away. I was promised a quote from Murray via the club press office but he never came. Anyway it is over now. If they were PR savy they would have told supporters that the Sunderland game was the last match to have your picture taken next to them in the daylight and Spurs game was the last time at night. I am not making excuses but the Press and media manager Paul Stringer is off on paternity leave after the birth of first child. So that might have a factor why they dropped the ball".
  • edited March 2016
    Paul Stringer and his partner had a little girl [Bella]. Unlike many of the media team, Paul is really a West Ham fan, as is his dad so we have a new hammer.

• Congrats to Paul Stringer and welcome to our West Ham world, Bella
    coyi
  • Pay your farewell respects at the Boleyn

West Ham United will be hosting a special memorial service at the Boleyn Ground on Sunday 20 March at 10.30am to remember all those Hammers fans who sadly will not be able to join us on the journey to the Club’s new Stadium on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

The service will especially commemorate all those loved ones whose ashes have been scattered or buried down the years around the Boleyn Ground or in the Memorial Garden, and those whose names are currently remembered on the commemorative bricks outside the Boleyn Ground.

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/March/1-March/Pay-your-farewell-respects-at-the-Boleyn

We will be going as sir_ian's mum and step dad's ashes are in the memorial garden.

Rio Ferdinand will captain his country one more time when England Legends take on Germany at the Boleyn Ground!

The West Ham United Academy product and Hammers and England great will lead a host of Three Lions stars of days gone by in a unique Farewell Boleyn fixture on Monday 2 May at 4pm.

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016/March/15-March/Rio-to-lead-the-Legends!

• They did say that there would be a ceremony with the Lyall family.

They didn't put it on the web site today until after that photo hit social media.

They should have done better.

Much better.

^^THIS^^
  • edited March 2016
    Just got home after attending a memorial service at Upton Park for those we will leave behind when we move ;poppy

You will note that they have finally seen sense and put me in charge ;wink

• Suz, good to see you and Sir Ian at the service this morning! Glad you have been put in charge - no doubt you will sort out the amplification that was missing today!
  • upos said:

Suz, good to see you and Sir Ian at the service this morning! Glad you have been put in charge - no doubt you will sort out the amplification that was missing today!

Good to see you too ;ok