The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

1787980818284»

Comments

• I think "politics" is fine. But I don`t like professional politicians, and with each passing day my view becomes stronger and deeper. I personally find it mind numbingly insulting that the architect of austerity (we`re all in this together) is "busy" coining it in whilst life for the rest of us is getting tougher and tougher. And no, not all politicians are bad people, although I don`t have any empirical evidence to back this up, I just happen to think they are barking up the wrong tree. That`s assuming that the tree hasn`t been killed by acid rain or felled by illegal loggers looking for a quick buck.

ASLEF, I would assume that your actions and choices are probably based on altruism. You are not a politician so I have no problem with your actions or motives. It has been argued that altruism is a predominant trait within human nature and this trait if left unsullied by the systems forced on us from above would be "enough" to organise society in a fair and just manner. It is the very systems forced on us and bolstered and perpetuated by "leaders" that are evil. Politicians are the talking heads that represent these systems so in my book are by direct association evil. It is a well known truism that power corrupts.

Trump describes ordinary people (immigrants) as "bad people", people fleeing war, persecution, exploitation, famine etc etc etc. I think there are more "bad people" running countries than there are "bad people" bobbing about in little rubber boats.
  • C&B, I don`t like the people that are being voted in or the people that are potentially being voted in, the chap in Holland with the hair still has the second biggest party and gained five seats, hardly a crushing defeat. Le Pen is appealing to the white working class. As did Trump. Big business ran out of people to exploit in the developed countries so in the name of globalisation moved production to the Far East, China and India. It was sheer greed and the unadulterated pursuit of profit that decimated traditional industries and working class areas in America and Western Europe, and all with the blessing and co-operation of our esteemed leaders. Whole communities were destroyed so we can (temporarily) buy things a bit cheaper and big business can make HUGE profits. People before profits is a distinctly left wing adage, however, the baton has been picked up by the right in the name of populism and who can blame people for voting for them. A return to the "free" market ethos espoused by governments of all colours in virtually all countries in The West is definitely not the answer. Le Pen has promised to put French people and French jobs first and protect French industries, she could just as easily be called a state communist or state capitalist as "far right". These policies seem inward looking, xenophobic, nationalistic and protectionist, but if politicians of all countries had had the guts over the past 40 years to foster, encourage and protect their little piece of the planet rather than pursue globalised grand schemes (a metaphor for exploiting people and resources on distant shores) then we wouldn`t be in this mess in the first place. Communities and the sense of community were sacrificed at the alter of profit and ordinary people are fighting back. It is just unfortunate that the very parties on the traditional left who are/were meant to represent these people seem to be the most detached and white working class people were left with little choice but to vote for parties on the right.
  • To the barricades !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;wahoo
  • edited March 2017
    Madcap - I agree by the way - I joke about it because I think a revolt of some kind may happen in my lifetime, and will make the poll tax riots look small beer.
  • I don't disagree with you Madcap, the problem is as you describe in my view but the answer, also only in my view of course, is that Brexit, Trump, Le penn, Wilders are not the answer. My fear is that if these false solutions are adopted they will make things much worse and harder to fix, I have always felt that the poorest among the population will be hit hardest by the politics of Brexit and Trump.
  • BBB, as much as I admire revolutionary politics, I would never have the stomach for it, and I suspect that of the vast majority of people. We in the West have won huge gains in freedom and economic benefits over the years and I don`t think any politician would be stupid enough to take them away, although many rights and freedoms have been eroded over the past 40 years. My biggest gripe is that all we have done is move a lot of our problems from 150 years ago abroad, but we seem to be OK with that. I 100% believe there is a better, simpler way of doing things and would voluntarily and happily surrender to such a system, the problem is I am probably in a very small minority. I do think the days of revolution are over, although I agree there could well be major unrest in countries but I think these will be short lived, sporadic and certainly not organised revolts. Footballs going well. ;angry
  • edited March 2017
    So UKIP's Carswell has quit to become an Independant MP
    The party who are ultimately responsible for forcing Cameron into a Brexit referendum have exactly Zero representation in Parliament, and no say in formulating any Brexit policy.
    And we are led to believe that this is all in our best interests.

Only in this country..... ;doh
  • Democracy, innit. ;puzzled
  • FPTP innit ;hmm
  • No way to run a country.
  • Today we've had numerous reports about the Chinese taking over South West Trains.

In most news items the fact that Hong Kong MTR are just a 30% stakeholder in the new franchise and UK transport conglomerate First Group hold the majority 70% was buried somewhere near the bottom.

None of the reports mentioned that Hong Kong MTR have been running trains in the UK for the last 15 years, they were 50/50 partners in London Overground from 2002 until 2016 and have been running TfL Rail 100% since 2015 (which will eventually transform into Crossrail).

Maybe the news media thought that mentioning these facts would detract from the headline or they were simply ignorant of the situation but either way it is a fine example of how poorly served the UK public are by its news media (and the social media is equally as ill informed).

The UK's biggest problem; ignorance.
  • BBC news mentioned MTR being involved already.
  • The BBC website mentions that MTR will run Crossrail in the future and the item on the BBC London segment of the 6pm News mentioned they already run services out of Liverpool Street. Everyone else just seems to have cut and paste the DfT press release.
  • Chew Chew Trains ??
    ;yercoat
  • Wow women have legs, who knew...

17545219_10155116800658895_4476149451603701697_o
  • Daily Mail ;doh
This discussion has been closed.