The Mark Noble Thread

Comments

• Slowing these down/keeping possession whilst he waits for the right pass

Potato potata

Just depends which wah you want to view it
  • edited February 2016
    Noble slows the game down when there's no movement in the side. It's the only thing players can do. You can't play balls through opposition players. He also slows it down when we want to keep the ball. You can't play every game at 100 miles per hour.

What do you want from a CM? He gets on the ball, passes the ball accurately, passes it forwards, always scores penalties, has a great range of passing, leads the team (but not in the Nolan 'ref the game' manner). Yes he could add a few more goals and assists to his game but when you play as a CM in a lesser side it is difficult to do that. He's not playing in the Payet position.

I don't think people will ever change their minds. If you value Noble, you know exactly how important his role is to this side (we are sixth and he's started all but one game). If you don't overly rate him you probably won't notice anything too world class to change your mind.
  • Look mate its my opinion relax

I said he's a good player but he's not good enough to be undroppable for me

I think he slows the game too much and takes too many touches. You say he's waiting for opportunities fair enough but I'd like the playmaker in my midfield to be aggressive in his passing and to keep the tempo up as we look a far weaker team when we just recycle it meaninglessly

He's a workhorse and a decent defender but he isn't a CM thats known for his tackling and interceptions etc (not that he's bad) so he's primarily a deep lying playmaker and for me he's just too slow in his distrubution
  • edited February 2016
    Relax? ;hmm

I'm not that wound up. ;wink

My opinion too. I'm not having a go and not addressing you specifically, just Noble-critics in general. ;ok
  • I've never said he's world class.

I don't even think he's international standard (although this is England we're talking about).

I'm just talking about for us, West Ham.
  • So why would he be the first name on the team sheet ahead of say Payet (who presumably IS international standard)

;hmm

;lol
  • How do you know he's the first name of the team sheet. I'd hazard a guess that Bilic writes Adrian as the first name followed by perhaps Tomkins or Byram and then works from there.
  • Man of the match last night, still getting stick.. ;lol
  • Noble is by no means the best player in the team. He lacks pace and does slow up our attack. He also makes some very silly tackles at times.

However, he has some excellent games such as last night, and in my opinion is a leader on the pitch and no doubt in the dressing room.

West Ham would be a worse team without him.
  • I think it is a testimate to how far the club have moved forward that we are now debating and finding fault in winning games 2-0 and our longest serving player who is also our captain and just put in a motm performance.

Think back to the heady days of Mido and Roger the relegator turning out for us regularily! For me if Noble is one of our biggest issues then I like these top 6 problems and you won't hear me complain.
  • Fact of matter is that since noble has been with us we have had I don't know how many different managers who all seem to pick him and prefer him to other players, even if others are seen as more skillfull or show more potential etc etc...
    IMO it's obvious , as managers they see something that many people do not...they cannot all be wrong ....
    For me he is playing well - and deserves his place in team and captains role...
    ;ok
  • edited February 2016

Man of the match last night, still getting stick.. ;lol

He's not getting stick, though, is he?

People are genuinely discussing how good or effective they think he is as a player, not slating him.
  • And discussing his overall performance, too, rather than just his last game.

It's as if you think getting MOTM once insulates a player from all further criticism or discussion. ;hmm
  • I don't think we are all basing it all on one motm performance. If I get the time I will see if I can find his stats for the last couple of seasons as I would guess that he has been one of our more consistent performers over the years.

I am happy to admit that he might not always set the world alight but I do feel that he does a lot of work for us that may not always get the recognition that it deserves.

I also think that now we have a much stronger squad with more flair players that it will bring out the best in him as he will have more options and movement in front of him than he has in the past. so I would expect to start seeing stats to back this up with a higher % of forward passes and his assist starting to improve too.

• No Tom, we're not allowed to post stats, it's pointless.
  • The thing is untill we see noble dropped for a couple games, not 1, we will see if the team is better or worse without him because partnerships need to form especially in centre midfield
  • personally with the players available right now I would like a tight diamond deployed.

Obiang Deep

Song and Kouyate box to boxing and ballin from the centre

Payet at the tip #licensetoroam

Antonio and Valencia up top.
  • See, that's what this discussion is about, not if he's world class, not if he's undroppable, but who should be playing right now.

Right now, imo, he should be. Against City and Villa he was our best player. More appropriately though it's down to the other 3.

Song - 100% does not deserve to play ahead of Noble. He was class against City, but still wasn't as good as Noble in that particular game. Every other game this season he's looked overly complacement and appears to lose the ball frequently. Against Villa, he also wasn't as adventurous with his passing, which is what we needed to break the deadlock. He didn't offer that, Noble did.

Kouyate - Not in direct competition with the other three for me. He's a not a passer like the others, he's a box to box guy. There will be games that we need his drive and games where it's better to have 2 passers. So if he's dropped, it's tactical, not because he's any worse than the others.

Obiang - looks decent, looks to have potential. Has he done he single great thing yet? A great pass? A great run? A great shot? Everything he has done has been good and he hasn't put a foot wrong, but would he have helped us break down villa if he'd started instead of Nobes? I have serious doubts about that. I've seen nothing to suggest he could do something creative.
  • eski

Absolutely agree that Song is in no way ahead of Marky Mark in terms of selection.
  • im proud of how many stats im reading on this thread
  • And here's some more!

IMG_20160204_101212
  • He was motm last game. Has had a half decent season so far.

When lanzini and sakho are back it will be 2 from 4 i reckob of noble obiang song kouyate as holding mf's
  • I love a stat, me ;wahoo
  • For me, when Lanzini's back, it'll be between Song, Obiang and Kouyate in a straight race to partner Noble.
  • I wouldn't expect you to say anything else luke, as you've previously stated that Nobes should be the first name on the team sheet and will be HOTY

;lol
  • The title asks if he is any good. The host of managers that have given him more than 300 appearances over a 12 year period in top flight club football would seem to suggest he might be. Perhaps we need to give it a bit more time to judge. ;hmm
  • The title asks if he is any good. The host of managers that have given him more than 300 appearances over a 12 year period in top flight club football would seem to suggest he might be. Perhaps we need to give it a bit more time to judge. ;hmm
  • Is there an echo in here?
  • edited February 2016
    Nah, but I can do you a Standard ;ok

;wink