The Mark Noble Thread

Comments

• 'Technical Passer'

I would say that's completely different to taking a corner..
  • Doesn't score many goals by passing it into the corner of the goal, must be a bad technical passer for that reason too.
  • Same skills ...both sideways ;lol
  • edited January 2016
    You get players like Payet who are world-class and can do the lot. Although I doubt he's great at heading or tackling or defensive positioning.

Then you get some like Noble, who can take a set-play, but not as effectively.

I'm actually kinda hoping he is dropped and we play a few games with Kouyate and Obiang/Song. Let's see how Payet gets on the ball in between the lines with Kouyate and Obiang supplying the ammo. Let's see how organised we look without our captain.

We sit 8 points off the top and 1 off of the Champions League spot. Noble has started every game except one (the 1-1 draw with WBA at home) and people think he is offering little? Baffling, IMO.
  • edited January 2016

IronHerb said:

Lukerz

Most technical passer. What does that mean?

;puzzled

As in he's far superior to Song, Kouyate and Obiang when he has the ball at his feet.
    Ha ha surely you're 'avin a laff, guv'nor!!

I love Noble but when it comes to passing, a lot of the time he's the Ray Wilkins of our side, aka the Crab, I'm not knocking that because it's a job that normally needs to be done by someone.

When he tries something a little bit more adventurous you sometimes see moments like we had earlier in the season, straight to the opposition, middle of the park, defence now under pressure.

As for set pieces, sorry but except for penalties which he is king, then they are awful and have been for years.
  • edited January 2016
    Ok.

I am genuinely a bit ;nonono that you believe all he does is pass sideways but there you go.
  • We sit 8 points off the top and 1 off of the Champions League spot. Noble has started every game except one (the 1-1 draw with WBA at home) and people think he is offering little? Baffling, IMO.

He offers a lot, but there is no problem with highlighting some of his weaker area's.
  • % of passes forwards:
    Noble 65.4%
    Kouyate 63.3%
    Obiang 68.0%
    Song 73.5%

Can we start slating Kouyate for it too then please?
  • edited January 2016
    eski, good stat ;thumbsup

( I love a stat, me ;biggrin )

Just to clarify, are those 'completed passes' or does it include intercepted and off target ones - I only ask because I'm a bit ;nonono about Song.

And is it just for this season so far?

(edit - if you aren't alert, you can misstype biggrin and it comes out as biggroin ;nonono )
  • I ALWAYS type biggirn
  • Slizzy

Don't agree with your take on Noble's passing range.

For me, a lot depends on where the rest of the MF are in relation.

Look at the 1st and 2nd half of the Bournemouth game.

1st half his passes are mostly mid pitch and in our half, and generally backwards.

Once we got the team up the pitch in the 2nd half, his passes are mostly mid pitch and in their half, and mostly forwards.

1st half - Noble passes

1sth

2nd half Noble passes

2nd
  • MrsG, those are just % of passes forward regardless of if they were completed or not. Songs completion of those forward is pretty low I think so his should be taken with a pinch of salt as he's been a little over-ambitious.
  • I love that ... 'over-ambitious'.

;lol
  • Ok.

I am genuinely a bit ;nonono that you believe all he does is pass sideways but there you go.

At what point did I say that was "all he does"

Try again.

;wink
  • Grey

Still a lot of passes that seem to be going left or right (or very close) and backwards, yes obviously how the other 9 outfield players perform affects him, like it would any player.

I'm not knocking him for it, like some would have you believe, it's a job that has to be done, as I said previously.

But to make him out to be the best "technical" passer is wrong, in my entirely humble opinion.

;ok
  • Hold on, Slizzy, if he's CMF then most passes will go left or right, won't they?

His average pass length is over 18m, so perhaps the scale doesn't do him justice?

I'm not arguing whether he is or isn't the best 'technical' passer, just suggesting that comparing him to the Crab is unfair, and inaccurate.

• edited January 2016
    Izzy - I said he was the best technical passer in midfield. So ahead of Song, Obiang and Kouyate. How is that such an outrageous statement?

I find it a shame that some can't appreciate how big a cog he is. Shame.
  • edited January 2016
    Grey - yes. but that still doesn't make him the "best technical passer" (IMO) as mentioned by others.

There was nothing wrong with Ray Wilkins, The Crab he did a great job and was brilliant at what he did.

-----------------------

Luke - Stop twisting it, I never said I didn't appreciate him or lessened what he actually did, I just argued he's NOT the best techincal passer out of those you mentioned.

He's a valuable member of our squad and I'm more than happy to have him and as our captain.
  • Not twisting it. I'm not aiming my comments at you, just in general at those who would like Noble dropped.

We have just beat Bournemouth and that involved having more possession and making more passes. Not many sides do that to them.
  • I'm confused as to why he gets so much stick
  • I'm just as confused as to why his faults can't be acknowledged. They all have them.
  • Not twisting it. I'm not aiming my comments at you, just in general at those who would like Noble dropped.

Well you'd already accused me of saying that he ONLY passes sideways, which I didn't.
  • Dimi1964 said:

This is just my opinion on him,I love him,a local boy done good and has the great honour of captaining our beloved club,he is a very honest and hard working player,he does retain the ball well and keeps it simple,he can tackle and takes a great pen but in my view he is a good player but nothing special,there are people on here who think he is better then he actually is and there is the divide,just my opinion .

Exactly what I said '64

;biggrin
  • edited January 2016
    Against Bournemouth

;whistle
  • I don't mean to be rude Luke, but what is that diagram you have just posted - I could easily just increase the font size on "Collins" and make it bigger than Noble
  • It's from whoscored.com about player influence in any one game. The bigger the font, the bigger the influence.

How they work out influence I'm not sure, but they are a regularly referenced football stats site. ;ok
  • I actually found the pic on a Newcastle forum. Bloke was saying how Payet grabs all the headlines but Noble is a massive threat and key player.

Think we're on the wrong forum, eski. ;hmm
  • Perhaps Newcastle will go out to crock Nobes and leave Payet alone ;biggrin
  • Hopefully neither will get crocked...