Are football fans misunderstood?

This appeared on my FaceBook time line this morning as a friend of a friend had responded, to this; ( I have cleaned it up)

FOOTBALL Its all rubbish...
NONE of the clubs have any history other than a badge... There would have been 11 different players on the pitch for each of the teams 5 years ago never mind 20 years!
So where is the teams history of achievement?
The only history in football is International.
Eg. Country "A" beat country "B" on once in the last 50 years.
I can't believe that so many thousands nay millions of people are taken in by the hype.

Then later on this was posted;

Football is rubbish played by over paid rubbish head watched by idiots who are deluded by the thought that wasting time and money on worthless achievements by a company(team) thinking actually care bout their "fans"... Football a gentleman's game played by hooligans..

I got quite cross in my defense of football and us fans..... But are football fans misunderstood?

Comments

• Written by a Chelsea supporter who now follows Saracens Rugby.
  • Whoever wrote that post is either a WUM or an imbecile , if they don't understand that football is by far the most popular sport on the planet they will never get it
  • Clearly a rather poor attempt at a windup; I'm only amazed they didn't point out it was 20 blokes chasing a pig's bladder and was, after all, only a game.

There is absolutely no need to respond to such poorly argued waffle.

Either they believe it, and are therefore deeply stupid, or they don't, in which case they are deeply stupid.
  • PLF, surely the most popular sport on the planet is athletics, otherwise they would have made the Olympic stadium multi purpose, wouldn't they ;puzzled
  • Sounds like they been watching and supporting Man U recently ;puzzled
  • I didn't understand it....

;run
  • I was once told by the pretentious idiot at work that "all football fans are scum" this coming from someone who has never even been to a match...
  • You cannot explain to someone who doesn't support a football team what it is to support a football team. You just can't. Because we're not just fans, or watchers; we are in love with these teams. More often than not you grow up with a team and where friends and lovers come and go, your football team is the only constant in your life.

I know it's a cliche, but it's in your blood. Cut me in half and I'll bleed... well, to death, but you know where I'm coming from.
  • Sadly like in everything there's a small minority of football fans who have given a bad impression to the general public and now they think the majority of football fans are all the same.
    And even I must admit as a football fan there are some right wazzocks who follow football who I do not want to be associated with so I can see why others in society would get the impression they do about the fans.
  • I remember when Bradley Wiggins was speaking about a race that was interrupted by an idiot, and he said "95% of the fans here wanted to enjoy a good race, the other 5% should go and watch football".

For some reason, the perception of footy fans is not great.
  • Totally agree OCS, but that's just not for football. Every single sport will have people for whom it is "in their blood" and others will just look on an not understand why the love of the sport.
    Also as mentioned, the person posting this on Facebook was a wum and should be ignored.
  • Love football
    Despise Rugby

#eachtotheirown
  • I wonder what Twist loves... ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.