The Boleyn Ground Remembered - A place to reminisce

Comments

• I wonder who might feature tomorrow? ;hmm
  • No idea.... I'm pinching them from somewhere else ;biggrin
  • When I started going (1978) the cost of entry was approx £3.50 - a LP was approx that as well.

I think you know where I am going with this.

If a Cd is now 12 quid.......

Favorite memories - our game against Bradford when we won 5-4 - Shaker got injured in the first couple of minutes and Steven Bywater came on for his debut aged just 16.

The problem was that he flapped at his first cross and looked terrified whenever the ball came close to him, Rio and the boys simply decided we were going to out score them and as soon as the final whistle went, I saw Rio run straight up to Bywater and put arm around him.

Terrific game, terrific atmosphere.

Been mentioned before but the night game against Dynamo Tiblisi - standing ovation for the visitors who totally played us off the park.

Unforgettable
  • Remember Alex Williams, the Man City keeper getting an ovation too.

We won 4-1, I think, but it could have been 32-1 if not for his performance
  • edited April 2016
    Chciago

How much were houses? ;wink

Think it must have been around 75p when I started going, as we used to bunk two of us through the turnstiles at 2 for a quid.
  • Grey, 20p for a seat in the West stand upper when I first went ...... sigh
  • Expat

But you're that bit older... ;run
  • I bet tomorrows will be j26c
  • I couldn't possibly say.

Because I don't know ;whistle
  • Is this where I collect my winnings?
  • Not £5?
  • I hope Freddie P was No.30
  • No idea... I've only just started nicking the idea from somewhere else.
  • Thief!!! ;biggrin
  • I'd just like to say thanks for this thread.Living in Madrid I'm a bit detached from everything & my last game at the Boleyn was the Christmas fixture v Southampton which I'll include in my top memories list.
    Others? Watching Billy Bonds & Peter Withe(I think) first square up to each other & then embrace each other & start dancing,the entire ground singing 'don't go Trevor' to Brooking as Liverpool's 2-0 victory left us all but relegated,Brooking's last match v Everton,another defeat but an emotional night,thumping Chelsea 4-1 in 88 to save ourselves from relegation & almost condemn them,Di Canio's double in a 2-1 v Arsenal,Francois Van Der Elst's wonder goal v Notts County in the 80s,Frankie Mac's hat-trick v Forest,Alvin's hat-trick in the 8-1 hammering of Newcastle,beating Chelsea 2-1 in the early 70s,I was about 7 & the atmosphere was electric,my first match v Southampton,a 1-1 draw in August 1970 & my absolute favourite of the lot,David 'Psycho' Cross' winner v the Spuds in the quarter final of the League Cup.
    The most cherished memory of the lot though is hearing I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' sung before a match.It always gives me a lump in my throat & when I'm watching the Man Utd game(probably online) I'm expecting a tear or two.