Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• Sweepy,

Respect your opinion.

However, a good manager will get the team playing the football he wants fairly quickly, and to be honest I don't think he will have to change much from what the players did in the first half of last season to bring us entertainment along with results. We didn't play hoofball all season so it shouldn't be a massive transition period for the players.

"I think Allardyce did a great job in many respects but I think Bilic will bring us on further. Just maybe not immediately. Allardyce didn't exactly win the Championship in style in his first year."

True that Sam didn't win the championship in style in his first year, however he took over a broken club, had a massive turnover in players and got the ones who remained out of that losing mentality which is extremely hard to do.
    Bilic is taking over a stable ship provided by Sam so I expect him to take us forwards, not backwards.
  • Rakis and KHA ;ok

The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't say it is a stable ship right now. 12th paced finish is very stable, but I can't call the last 6 months as stable.

in regards to the new manager, yes I think Bilic is much better than most, but facts are facts and who am I to argue with the CEO of West Ham.
  • edited June 2015
    The problem is what Sam leaves behind. He left behind very ageing squads filled with players best suited to a direct style of play. That is not the only factor of course. That is not a criticism. All managers leave their own players who are used to that managers style.

It's the same with Slaven now.

He has players bought by Sam who you associate with a direct style (Collins, O'Brien, Nolan, Jarvis, Carroll) which Bilic will either need to replace or help adapt to a new style. He also has players who have flopped to date (Zarate, Maiga), also signed under Sam. Does he try and turn them around or get rid?

And then he will have his own signings he wants.

Big task.
  • He also has players prone to injury.
  • I thought the average age of the squad had reduced? ;hmm
  • “Recently, in the last couple of weeks I took in ten West Ham games and I saw them all, when it was not obvious but likely that I might get the job, after the season finished in Turkey."

Rather telling part of his interview on the OS. Seems like we weren't scrabbling around at all but have favoured Bilic for a while.
  • David Gold @davidgold
    From meeting Slaven it quickly became clear that he has a real passion and affinity for our Club and a real desire to become its manager dg
  • Is there a press conference video on his appointment?
  • Well done West Ham.

Personally id have thought that if you are trying to get a good manager I would have thought that you link other great managers to the post, to keep your original target interested and feel like he is among top opposition.

If we went for mclaren, Pulis etc, Bilic may have thought he was too good for West Ham.

The club have impressed me constantly over the years. They are not perfect but they are going in the right direction.
  • Imagine not being excited for this season after reading this... #passion

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015/June/9-June/Bilic-The-First-Interview
  • Quality interview. ;bowdown
  • It's interesting that he says he watched 10 games towards the end of the season when it become likely that he would get the job....
  • Love it.

I'd have thought Slaven Bilic's Claret and Blue army will be sung in August.
  • any person can say the right things, i hope he can follow it up with performances. Would love to see a Zarate and/or Maiga flourish under new leadership or getting a 15 goal striker out of Valencia
  • #Geezer
  • It's interesting that he says he watched 10 games towards the end of the season when it become likely that he would get the job....
    No pain, no gain.

• Watched 10 full games towards the end of last season.

And STILL took the job! ;wink

#coffeeoverdose
  • any person can say the right things, i hope he can follow it up with performances.
    Yes Indeed. Zola also said the right things - he said a lot of wonderful things about fitness yet his sides notoriously could not last 70 minutes

Still, if Slaven ends up talking things up and not delivering, he can always point to his employers and say he is taking a leaf out of their book...
  • I think this is an exciting appointment. I am sure that we will see a different approach and style of play. I love the comment about a 'cult club' -a quality statement that already brings him in tune with the supporters.
    I hope that Slaven can entice one or two quality signings - he has worked with a number of quality players who could improve the current squad. Let's hope the kitty is big enough to do so.
  • any person can say the right things, i hope he can follow it up with performances.
    Yes Indeed. Zola also said the right things - he said a lot of wonderful things about fitness yet his sides notoriously could not last 70 minutes

Still, if Slaven ends up talking things up and not delivering, he can always point to his employers and say he is taking a leaf out of their book...
    Zola did a good job. We played fantastic football and finished 8th. The second season wasn't as good but he kept us, just like Sam did, who got plaudits for that ;ok
  • Welcome to the people's Republic of Westham. Nice to see you back Slaven, bust a gut and give blood please old chap. And the squad of squares into Cats Man. ;ok
  • Anyway thought we were going to stop bringing up past managers in every post?

#WelcomeBilic
  • ;lol you want it all ways, twist.

#cakegate3

#haveyourcakeandeatittoo
  • #InBilicWeBelieve
  • edited June 2015
    ;lol you want it all ways, twist.

#cakegate3

#haveyourcakeandeatittoo
    What?
  • edited June 2015
    Let's keep discussing Sam then. I thought the heirachy didn't want that?

• Bilic is in a different league to Zola, IMO
  • Look into my beard

• ...not around my beard
    look into my beard

Your under

#littlebritain
  • #ninjaedit Twist
This discussion has been closed.