Official - some people can't let Sam Allardyce go (counselling available, reasonable fees.)

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Grey - possibly, but when you consider last season's tally in those games was 9 (against the sides swapped for promoted sides) to 1 this season, it hardly swings the balance in Bilic's favour.
  • Good point Lukerz.

Bilic out.
  • IronHerb said:

Who was injured?

Carroll, Sakho and Kouyate, to name 3. And we had to contend with the ACON as well. And I think we were having troubles in the back as well, and Song was getting little niggles and not playing as well.
  • Beat me to it Tex.

;ok
  • Carroll played 5 out of 7 games. Sakho returned for the 4th round of the cup and Kouyate was injured. As for ACON, well, no one went. Song retired. Sakho didn't go hence his 1 match ban and Kouyate was injured. So we weren't inundated with injuries imo.
  • The squad was very thin back then - I genuinely believe they didn't want to put money behind their manager as they'd possibly decided that they would part company a few months later and prem safety was already guaranteed

In order to consolidate and sustain a decent top half position it was obvious the squad needed a degree of strengthening
  • I agree Sam (and the teams) performance deserved better reward in Jan than simply #nenetime. After being in the top four on Xmas day.

But they probably felt £30m in the summer was enough.
  • edited January 2016
    so Remi Garde says, apparently, he will stick with Villa even if they go down while Sam says, apparently, that he will pack his bags if Sunderland look certain to go down. ;hmm

Sounds like someone is trying to save his "never been relegated" label

Caution: A Tabloid Truth Verification Alert (TTVA) has been issued for this post.
  • Swiss

You could have checked it for yourself at

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sam-allardyce-would-quit-sunderland-7104014

where you may or may not be astounded to find that a headline

Sam Allardyce would QUIT as Sunderland manager if he thought they were doomed to relegation

which might suggest the view you attribute to him, actually relates to this comment:

Asked if he still believed his squad could claw their way to safety Allardyce, who has a proud record of never being relegated, replied: “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think that — I might as well pack my bags now.

which bears no relation to the attitude you impart to him.
  • right on cue, Grey ;ok
  • Swiss

Any reason you didn't bother to check for yourself before drawing disparaging conclusions about him?
  • Jeez....no wonder his book made such headlines / comments with the serialisation.

He's basically said nothing of the sort and they've come out with a made up headline, what a surprise.

• Right Decision ;ok - Lets see where we are after 38 games.
    I think in a far better position :)
    I for one would like to have seen Nene play more, he could have been last years Lanzini if he had settled in. With good management Zarate could also have made a difference he did when he played ;hmm
    Onward and upward, hopefully Payet doesn't get lured away in Jan & we can show our class and watch some great football over the remainder of the season.
  • There was also a lot of comments on this site that did not want Bilic and thought
    we should stick with Sam. I am glad that I was not one of them.No more Hoof. ;bowdown
  • edited January 2016
    My daughter has a great book and it has a page in it that whenever we read I think of this thread.

• absolutely no idea how that happened!!

• Kept them up, playing a better brand of football than we probably saw the last 15 odds games of last season

#DoesWhatItSaysOnTheTin
  • #Bilicsaysitbetter

• Pleased for Sam. Kept his record intact.
  • never doubted it collect my winnings tomoz well done sam and hands up well done slav too
  • The crowd were chanting his name a lot. They seem more grateful for being a Prem club than some West Ham supporters were when Sam did the trick for us. Sam to Bilic seems to me to equate to Pearson to Ranieri. Well done all four ;clap
  • edited May 2016
    Pleased for him ;clap

They were helped by good signings in January, and a recent absence of injuries.

If its true that they appointed him in the traditional 'manager' role rather than just head coach, they will be OK next season. I think he'll do for Sunderlnd what he did for us ... stop the rot, gradually improve the quality of the squad, and bring some stability
  • So glad he kept them up. I like Sam. He is pretty much the reason we are where we are today.
    Getting us out of the Championship first time of asking was a massive task.
  • Well done to him.

Certainly played a far more entertaining brand of football in the games I watched than what I remember with us.
  • Sam may just have done as big a job for Sunderland as he did for us, by keeping them up he could have saved them a long and hard task of making the premiership again. It's hard to think of a job that Sam has failed in as Bolton enjoyed their best spell under him, Blackburn were still in the Premiership at the time of sacking him and are now not, Newcastle never gave him a chance and I think he left them as he found them and we know he got us back to the Premiership at the first attempt and stabilised us there.

Like his style or the man himself or not, I don't think it can be denied that in this age when being a football manager is a very unforgiving job and few really establish themselves long term, that Sam is a football manager of immense credibility, and my advice to Sunderland is keep him and he will stabilise you away from the relegation zone next season, and although many will want you achieving more immediately you will need this stabilisation to start to attract better players and a better manager. There are better than Sam out there but I am not sure you will attract them at present.
  • Sam has done brilliantly - time and again he delivers against the brief given to him.

I couldn't be more pleased for him.
  • Well done to him.

Certainly played a far more entertaining brand of football in the games I watched than what I remember with us.

Yep I had mentioned that, well the last few months with us for sure.

He can sit back in his Newcastle paid for Villa "Casa St James" put his feet up and wait for their Championship fixture list to come out, especially the one against Burton who 20 years ago were in the Southern League while NUFC were coming 2nd in the PL.

The bottom line is, Blackburn and NUFC only have themselves to blame, they listened in part to their fans (especially NUFC), who like most fans always think they know best.

He was part way through a process with both, yes it involves older more established and trusted players with little to no sell on value, but it works and it's proven.
  • Saw this on Facebook ..... If Sam had been the Captain, the Titanic would not have gone down.
  • We're safe. I'm not talking about recruitment today, I'm just trying to get over my hangover!
    ;bowdown

#priorities