Official - some people can't let Sam Allardyce go (counselling available, reasonable fees.)

Comments

• We're on an Allardyce thread Izzy, so yes (although I know that's no guarantee...)

If it had been reversed I'd have been much more willing to keep Allardyce on as it would have demonstrated an ability to change things up and turn things around.

Unfortunately, what we saw was an alarming decline with no demonstrable evidence that it would ever have been halted.
    Absolutely Agree OCS ;ok

I actually believed the owners would bottle it and give him a new deal rather than run his contract out (based on their previous history of not letting managers go that in the main hit their goals)

Fair play to them, they decided it was time, and they are being proved right, I'm glad they didn't do what I thought they would

;wahoo
  • You're a hell of an agent Slizzy, I'll give you that ;ok

;)
    Got to earn a living somehow Twist, counting up the Agree's and CMU's just ain't gonna cut it.

#AllAboutTheFacts
  • We're on an Allardyce thread Izzy, so yes (although I know that's no guarantee...)

If it had been reversed I'd have been much more willing to keep Allardyce on as it would have demonstrated an ability to change things up and turn things around.

Unfortunately, what we saw was an alarming decline with no demonstrable evidence that it would ever have been halted.
    Sorry I wasn't clear.....

When I said "it's SA we're talking about there", I didn't mean the thread, I meant as in "the person", "the character", "the perception".

And I was being extremely sarcastic as to the outcomes, had the season been the other way round.

;ok
  • If the season had been the other way round, we wouldn't have seen how well he did in the second half as he would have been fired, which is exactly what happened by "mutual consent"
  • Quite possibly Simonc.....

• btw bfs, this is the 'West Ham Way' it appears
  • Wore the DT38 foundation top at his presser this week and talked about it.

;clap
  • You can handover those votes later Twist, cheers

;ok
  • edited December 2015
    Just reading his book.....it's pretty good.

Little bit "me, me, me" but all managers can be like that. Some interesting stories in there as well.

He bought Joey Barton to NUFC to "liven the place up" ;biggrin

Certainly got more than he bargained for and describes him as "a 3amp fuse in a 13amp plug, just ready to blow at anytime"

Nolan reckoned he'd "tamed him" and tried to convince SA to sign him again, but SA wasn't having it.

Just getting to the WHU bit.....
  • This place just isn't the same without him.... ;wink
  • "I thought if I played fair with them, they would do the same for me. I didn’t want any agitators who were constantly moaning"

• "But I did warn them, if you stay but don’t try and you waste my time, then we will have a problem and I’ll dump you with the mushroom squad.’ The mushrooms were those who did your nut in, so they trained at other times to the first-team group. They were so named because you kept them in the dark, brought them out now and again if you needed them, then put them back in the dark again until they left. Freddie Piquionne, the French striker, got the full mushroom treatment with garnish from me and didn’t seem to care. It became a joke that if you were exiled, you weren’t being mushroomed any more, you were being ‘Piquionned’
  • What did he call "being Maiga'd" then?? Having the mushroom compost thrown all over his (SA's) head?
  • Basically just "rubbish" ;biggrin

To be honest, he doesn't go into detail about Maiga, he does say he signed him and that he just never dealt with the physical side of the PL and it didn't work out.

Regarding the Bony possibility. He says that both him and Sullivan sat down and went over the stats and the numbers, they both agreed to go for Carroll over Bony, it wasn't just Sullivan wanting Bony, Sam wanting Carroll.

Also, Steve Bruce warned SA what Gold & Sully were like, not in a negative manner, he praised them and the way they support their managers, but regarding Sully sending 20 emails a day and wanting an answer to everyone of them, Bruce told SA to ignore them, all, otherwise it just generates more "noise" and you never get anything done. He also mentioned about Sully wanting the imput into transfers.
  • They were also due to sign Jordan Henderson and Downing at the same time as Carroll, but it never panned out.

Also, Rodgers told SA that he would never of sold Carroll to WHU if he'd known that his deal for another player hadn't fallen through at the last minute (Can't remember his name, it will come to me)
  • Interesting. ;hmm
  • Clint Dempsey (I think)
  • Also Rodgers wanted to get rid of Jose Enrique and SA wanted all 4 of them if we had the money.

He says it was sullivan who was prepared to take the risk on Rav. Based on SA previously being able to straighten out other players in the past.
  • Like Joey Barton?
  • I'm not sure many have tamed Joey Barton, so nothing unusual there. Probably meant from his Bolton days.

Oh and the online forum that Lynne, Mrs Allardyce used to read........KUMB
  • Sam's doing well ;biggrin