Official - some people can't let Sam Allardyce go (counselling available, reasonable fees.)

Comments

• Preconceived? Only one with a preconceived view is Sam himself
  • I feel sorry for Sam too.

Imagine playing terrific football for half the season, and then having people completely blank it out of their memories, so they can give him pelters...
    I guess people also remember the other 3 and a half years of dross that was served up ;ok
  • T&S

So, all of it was dross, yeah?

All of it.

No good games.

No good performances.

No good memories.
  • Not even a great day out at Wembley ;hmm
  • They were some, Grey. But IMO (which I'm sure you know by now, and are bored from it...) the dross heavily outweighs the good.
  • What happened in the first half of last season had very little to do with Sam's genius. He was forced to play without Nolan. As soon as Nolan became available again.... well, the rest is history.
  • I'm with Twist on this.

Obviously some good games, performances and memories culminating in a good half season last year. But over all maybe not dross but dull and uninspiring.

Still, that's all in the past.
  • We can argue over the factors, but .... the reasons don't take away the fact that there was some good football and exciting games for us to enjoy.
  • Regardless of how you factor the reasons, the fact is that last season we played a lot of entertaining, attacking, inventive football.

This season has seen that continue, rather than be a total revelation, imo.
  • Better thank the board for demanding better football and installing Teddy
  • And in the 2nd half of the season ... did the board sack Teddy?
  • For what its worth i think Sam was expecting a contract extension at x-mas when it wasn't forthcoming he reverted to type & we got what we got.
  • So you are saying the 1st half WAS down to Sam, but then he decided to change things for the 2nd half?
  • I think you know what i am saying
  • Hang on, I'll give Swiss a bell....
  • Hang on, I'll give Swiss a bell....
    ;lol

• Personally I believe Sam was exactly what was required when he was appointed. But second half of last season he knew he was no longer really wanted, appeared to go into cruise control and was not bothered with trying to move the club forwards - perhaps understandably at that stage.

I am pleased his contract was not renewed and am both surprised and delighted by what Bilic has achieved.

However, I will never forget that Sam (and the owners) saved the club I love and will always be grateful for that.
  • All here are West Ham fans, we may have differing opinions but each year we simply want the club to be successful. The board want the club and its support base to grow = more money for them. Sam lost the plot when he cupped his ear to the fans, that pitted him against the fans and the boards direction for the club. We can argue over who is responsible or even why we had such a great start to last season but the fact is post Christmas our performances did not match anyone's hopes or expectations IMO this is because Sam knew the writing was on the wall.
    Unfortunately he has now taken to airing his dirty laundry & ego in the press, he clearly has no respect for the club or the fans & I feel the same towards him.
    Last i will say on this subject
  • He's a football man but never was and never will be a Hammers man.

Football under him was often uninspired and awful.

He did what was wanted and he did it his way but no more than that.

After Christmas he gave up and it showed, now he is showing his lack of class, he should just shut up.

West Hams recent history is more about BFS and the OS whereas it should be more about the football, he has left a huge void in our well known values for good entertaining football, which we are clawing back.

Recent results have shown how these players can sometimes perform together and I hope Bilic will keep it going but we are a mid table team and there is plenty of hope on the horizon but thats all, just hope.

We are running out of excuses now too. This will be more of a true reflection on what we can try and achieve without so many injuries.
  • Happy 61st birthday today bfs
    May u get all the cake u wish 4... ;ok
  • and the points you need to keep your team up no hard feelings from me you have moved on for whatever reason and i thank you for what u did for us
  • Maybe, but then Ramsey is a two-Bob manager who is struggling at QPR and vastly inexperienced. ;wink

Not saying Sam was wrong to leave him out the XI, but as a sub, making him feel wanted and keeping him involved. Instead of just giving up and losing all patience.

Bilic obviously knows how to handle people.
    Perhaps you should be thanking SA (plus Harry) for taking the hardline with Zarate, just perhaps that's what he needed?

Now Slav with his slightly softer skills, could be reaping the benefit?
  • Memories are short but even in that spell I seem to remember defensive substitutions trying to protect one goal leads.
    I also remember putting on forwards (Cole) when taking off Midfielders (Noble) when leading 2-0 away, look how that turned out.
  • edited October 2015
    He's a football man but never was and never will be a Hammers man.

Football under him was often uninspired and awful.

He did what was wanted and he did it his way but no more than that.

After Christmas he gave up and it showed, now he is showing his lack of class, he should just shut up.

Agree with most of that.

However, the bit where he gave up, not so sure, many many factors.

Sakho/Song being told by medical team to "rest" over Xmas - can't play 2 games quickly.
    Injuries galore in January
    No signings in January (except a Sully special - Nene in Feb)
    The above Nene signing, who he barely played clearly showed a rift between Manager and owner.
    The owners allowing the situation to drag on (which was their original plan) and then both parties get some childish "tit for tat" at the end with the club announcing seconds after the FT whistle they wouldn't be renewining, he tried to tell the world he was leaving anyway ;doh

His Book and serialisation has dragged all this out again, not happy with some of this comments tbh, he could've gone about it a different way, but that wouldn't be him would it.

Just trying to focus on Slaven now, it's a new era and a lot more seem happier

coyi

;ok
  • OCS

That's fair comment.

I don't share your view, but I can see how disappointing the 2nd half was, and we played some poor football in that period (along with some good stuff that gets forgotten, as well.)

What I don't get is why people insist on ignoring the first half of the season, and banging on about how boring Sam's style was.

Last year, at game 9, we had scored 17 goals, got 16 points and were 4th.
    At a guess....

1. It's SA we're talking about here
    2. If it had been the other way round, poor start fantastic final 17 games, would there of been a different reaction? No, because it's SA we're talking about here.
  • edited October 2015
    We're on an Allardyce thread Izzy, so yes (although I know that's no guarantee...)

If it had been reversed I'd have been much more willing to keep Allardyce on as it would have demonstrated an ability to change things up and turn things around.

Unfortunately, what we saw was an alarming decline with no demonstrable evidence that it would ever have been halted.
  • What happened in the first half of last season had very little to do with Sam's genius. He was forced to play without Nolan. As soon as Nolan became available again.... well, the rest is history.
    Not entirely true though is it.

He was left on the bench for 6 games when he returned from injury (around October onwards).

Then we err....took 13 points out of 15 before the CFC game.

While I don't believe Nolan should've played anywhere near as much from January onwards, it was from the only factor and the manager got plenty wrong.

;ok
  • You're a hell of an agent Slizzy, I'll give you that ;ok

;)
  • edited October 2015
    Oops