TV and Films

Comments

• Spoiler alert - they fail to make it back up to the Championship :whistle:

Watched “The English Game” saw it through and enjoyed it but would not to the extent that I would heartily recommend it, try it out and see, I think we have some time on our hands, there was something about it that didn’t work for me, one of those not sure what or why.
  • English game = downtown football :lol: posh boys vs working man ....
  • Watching better call Saul just finished hunters
  • Ozark season 3

Great show
  • Lukerz said:

Ozark season 3

Great show

Must watch the rest of season 2. Found it a bit of a slog though.
  • Lukerz said:

Ozark season 3

Great show

This is on the list for us. Currently alternating between Mandalorian, Tiger King, Orphan Black, and Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Also, at work we set up an isolation movie club where we take it in turns to pick films each night. Which basically means I’ve seen a bunch of classics and a bunch of utter garbage.
  • edited April 2020
    Just Started Brooklyn 999, also Bones and Future Man
  • We finished Tiger King last night, and I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. I understand that it is about the people and the story surrounding them is absolutely crazy, but the level of animal abuse that was alluded to and shown throughout was alarming. A lot of people recommended the show to me and when I said I was concerned about witnessing animal abuse I was told that it doesn't really feature in the documentary, which, having now watched it, I can confidently say is not the case at all. It's a very interesting story, filled with horrible people behaving atrociously.
  • I didn’t like the first episode at all as the animal abuse made me feel uncomfortable but carried on just to see what the fuss was all about and was engrossed from episode 2. Each episode is crazier than the previous one :whome: I agree alderz, none of them come across well at all.

Nearly finished the Sunderland doc now and for some reason the greasy burger vans outside the stadium In it has really got me missing Upton Park.
  • Just started Sunderland 'Til I Die, series 1. Need some background as my daughter is marrying a Mackem next Easter. :biggrin:
  • First time away from home I shared a house with a couple of Mackems - absolutely top lads.
  • edited April 2020
    IronHerb said:

Just started Sunderland 'Til I Die, series 1. Need some background as my daughter is marrying a Mackem next Easter. :biggrin:

I married a Mackem and have no regrets, what I found is that in many respects, Sunderland and West Ham have many similarities, a working class background,a loyal and passionate fan base, (after two successive relegations) they attracted 46,000 to the Stadium of Light for a Boxing Day home game, a record for league one, some glorious memories, especially in the cup, a lot of shockers as well, many relegation escapes and promotion seasons, all endured in the shadow of fierce local rivalry against a “bigger” more successful club.

Not forgetting an intimidating traditional old ground, the Roker Park roar was an actual thing, that they have tried to emulate in a new setting with mixed results.

The program is obviously a must watch in our house, we have yet to finish season 2 but we have twice spotted my wife’s Uncle and daughter in the crowd scenes, they are season ticket holders and still go home and away :bowdown:
  • I was due to attend last weeks Southend v Sunderland game with him but...
  • edited April 2020
    Alderz, I think this might be upsetting too. What is it with the Chinese?
    :puzzled: :angry:
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/chinese-government-promotes-bear-bile-as-coronavirus-covid19-treatment/

And this as well. Talk about adding insult to injury.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52092395

• Finished Sunderland s2 gives some interesting views inside the club , transfer deadline /window episode was good the owner and his team came across quite well although I think he is now trying to sell the club .
  • Just finished the second season of Narcos.... it’s really very good.

Totally convinced I’m now fluent in Spanish :biggrin:
  • Just finished the second season of Narcos.... it’s really very good.

Totally convinced I’m now fluent in Spanish :biggrin:

Just finished the second bag of natchos :lol:
  • Narcos Mexico is good aswell 👍🏻
  • Playing animal crossing on switch with my daughter and found this
  • edited April 2020
    PLF, for the benefit of those of us that are of a certain age ;) , could you explain what "animal crossing on switch means"?
  • :puzzled: me to
  • Switch is a games console, a bit like a cross between the old style portable "Gameboy" ones and a more traditional one that you plug into the TV.

Animal Crossing is the name of a game (or series of games, as there are more than one versions).
  • edited April 2020

Playing animal crossing on switch with my daughter and found this

That's incredible :nonono:
  • Ricky Gervais's Afterlife is so funny, so sad, so painful and so true.

The Elton John bio-pic "Rocketman" is a bit graphic but I could see it as a midnight double bill at the Scala with "Bohemian Rhapsody"
  • Normal People on BBC was excellent, I’d recommend.
  • I read the book last year which was excellent, will catch up with the BBC version soon.
  • Just finished watching Normal people for the second time and the book arrived today as my wife and I can’t stop talking about it, it was amazing!

Tried first episode of Gangs of London and all the unnecessary graphic violence made me feel queasy.

Maybe I’m finally maturing.
  • Was craving a footie fix so chose to binge watch “Sunderland till I die”, appreciated it more the second time around, the series vividly displays the range of emotions experienced in supporting and owning a football club, the community connection, passion, hope and at the end of the day, bitter despair and disappointment.

After two successive relegations and then to heartbreakingly lose the play off final in the 92nd minute, one of the featured fans looking at the opposing celebrating fans, emotionally says “why is it never us”

Football fans around the world will surely relate to it and those who do not follow a team will surely be thinking why so many people choose to expose themselves to such a range of emotions.

Sunderland were still in the Premiership when the program would have been initially conceived and surely they could not have envisioned covering such an emotional ride.

I actually think the program turned into a really interesting study into this crazy hobby/interest/obsession we all share
  • edited May 2020
    Has nobody yet mentioned "Mafia Only Kills in Summer" on Channel 4? In Italian with subtitles of course.
    Brilliant black comedy story-telling based on true events about the "cosa nostra" in Sicily in the '70s, seen through the eyes of a young boy and his family.

And it's free to watch. :biggrin: ;)