The Next Transfer Window

Comments

• HAMMERS REACH MONTIEL AGREEMENT

West Ham have reached a pre-contract agreement with River Plate right-back Gonzalo Montiel, reports Estadio Deportivo.

The 23-year-old is open to moving to the London Stadium, all that remains now is for the Argentine to secure his work permit.

Why.... We have two youngsters who showed they can step up in that position. Seems a pointless acquisition.
  • Rumours are Ngakia is on his way out after refusing to sign a new deal.
  • That is a shame if true, I thought he showed great potential.
  • Not signing a new contract and leaving on the 30th of june.
    Looked promising but bye :wave:
  • I don't think he's refused to sign any contract, he's refused the current offer. It will be painted a certain way but players aren't under any obligation to accept every offer and I don't see why we need to know every stage of negotiations.
  • Always hard to see what is really happening and no one at this stage other than those involved likely know what's happening. There is an offer but we cant say its too high or low unless we know what it is and we cant say he is refusing this offer because it's not enough or if he has simply been approached and wishes play elsewhere, all I would say is that in my view he looks worth a gamble. If we thought Wilshire was worth a gamble of a three year contract with his injury record then surely this lad looks worth offering more than perhaps his experience deserves, I would like to think we have made him a very reasonable offer at the lower end of the first team squad rather than another academy contract.
  • We're offering a 1-year extension at £5pw but the Mail reckon "the 19 year-old and his camp are understood to be holding out for up to £20,000-a-week and a longer commitment from the club."

By comparison Declan Rice was on £3k a week, he rejected £20k and we gave him a bigger deal.

So Ngakia wants to commit his future to West Ham for longer than one season and play in the Premier League for wages Declan Rice rejected.

Does anyone else thinks that's a bit mad?
  • edited May 2020
    We can't keep them all. We let a whole bunch go every year. Otherwise we'd be stuffed to the gunwales.

cf Domingos Quina, Tony Martinez, and a whole load of others.

Curious why you are :doh: about Baker-Boaitey... I've never heard of him, so I'm interested to hear why it's a big :doh: for us not to hang on to him.
  • I got a bit confused with his name :biggrin:

• I can see from the lads perspective how he is thinking that if he is thought enough of to start in the premiership he should warrant a bit more than £5k and a year extension (if of course these figures are correct).There is no doubt it is a gamble on our part and as Mrs Grey pointed out you cant keep them all, I think Rice was rejected by Chelsea, but it looks as though there is a lot of scope to meet somewhere on those figures. He has stood in well and there must be a deal to be done if its only about money, maybe a two year deal with a guaranteed option for the club for a further year, 10k per week and an extra 20k if playing in the first team, and in increase to standard 30k per week if the club are wanting to take up the third year option. If he has made a real impression he will be able to negotiate a much better deal with us come the time of the third year option for a longer contract and if he hasn't we can let him go and will have lost the gamble to some extent. From his performances before lockdown he looks worth a gamble.
  • ASLEFshrugged
    6:49PM
    We're offering a 1-year extension at £5pw.
    No wonder he wants to leave. : :lol:
  • "West Ham were hoping to agree a one-year extension before going on to sort out a longer and bigger deal down the line."

The 1 year extension is to buy time to sort out a longer term deal.
  • Remind me again, this is a genuine question. Who of the senior team has he kept out of the first XI or match day squad. My memory ain't what it used to be.
  • Not difficult to keep out an injured RB a past it RB and an overall generally rubbish team this season.
  • IronHerb said:

"West Ham were hoping to agree a one-year extension before going on to sort out a longer and bigger deal down the line."

The 1 year extension is to buy time to sort out a longer term deal.

He wants to sort out a longer term deal now and we've not been that busy over the last two months
    MrsGrey said:

Remind me again, this is a genuine question. Who of the senior team has he kept out of the first XI or match day squad. My memory ain't what it used to be.

Zabaleta
  • Agents get a lot of stick and rightly so but if his agent suggested he sign a holding one year contract on those terms he wouldn't be doing his job. Were I his agent I would be thinking my client may or may not make the grade but here is my chance to ensure football impacts his life in a positive financial way even if he doesn't. If he can secure him a 3 year contract on 15-20k that sets him up, if he goes on and makes it and that contract turns out to be a drop in the ocean all well and good, but would want to ensure we struck while the iron was hot, now he has taken his chance to show himself these last few games.
  • Daily Star

West Ham are chasing Amiens striker Serhou Guirassy, according to the French club's president.
  • edited May 2020
    Claret the agent is more likely thinking if he can get him a contract on a lot more money there’s a bigger cut in it for me.
    Also if the offer was just a holding offer then he should think how lucky he is when he’s offered £5k per week in the current circumstances when lots of youngsters his age are likely to be out of work.
    It’s not as if he’s going to be our first choice right back for the foreseeable.
  • He should be on current form.
  • edited May 2020
    Lots of youngsters his age haven't been picked to start in four Premier League matches.
  • If they're good enough, they're old enough. And I think he's as good as Fredericks already.
  • Probably a better defender, although based on 4 games.
  • Curious why you are :doh: about Baker-Boaitey... I've never heard of him, so I'm interested to hear why it's a big :doh: for us not to hang on to him.

Mrs G, I have to admit I don't know too much about him & have probably been scarred by us letting young players leave in the past who then gone onto have bigger & better careers elsewhere. :ok:
  • I think it’s a tough position for everyone. If the season hadn’t been disrupted, he might’ve easily proved he’s worth a new contract as Declan Rice did in only a few games. Or he might’ve faded and accepted something less. Now both sides have to suddenly make a decision without him getting the run he looked set for.

Based on other players I’m not sure those demands are so outrageous and of course he wants to tie in some security for a few years. It’s less than we’d pay for anyone we signed and those few performances were very good. We haven’t had an outright success with our fullback signings for a long time.
  • I think it’s a tough position for everyone. If the season hadn’t been disrupted, he might’ve easily proved he’s worth a new contract as Declan Rice did in only a few games. Or he might’ve faded and accepted something less. Now both sides have to suddenly make a decision without him getting the run he looked set for.

:ok:
  • edited May 2020

Mrs G, I have to admit I don't know too much about him & have probably been scarred by us letting young players leave in the past who then gone onto have bigger & better careers elsewhere. :ok:

We let dozen go every year. The proportion who go on to 'bigger and better things' is tiny. I think you should comfort yourself with the evidence that the people charged with making the decision mostly get it right :-)

Subject to the caveat that we can't know what would have happened (a glittering career or abject failure?) if something that didn't happen (kept 'em and gave them regular 1st team starts the following season) had happened, rather than what did happen (released/sold to a lower league club and never made it much higher than the Champo if that). If you see what I mean. :puzzled:
  • MrsGrey said:

We let dozen go every year. The proportion who go on to 'bigger and better things' is tiny. I think you should comfort yourself with the evidence that the people charged with making the decision mostly get it right :-):

I don’t know anything about this guy, so this is only based off the article. But if the article is to be believed, it seems as though “the people charged with making the decision” have decided he is good enough, but that he might go elsewhere. So if that’s the case, then this would be one to be unhappy about losing.
  • Alderz, fair enough with your reasoning.

Fortune gave as his reason that we have let players go in the past who have gone on to bigger and better things. That (reason) was what I was responding to, and suggesting it wasn't imo a convincing reason for being unhappy about this kid leaving.
This discussion has been closed.