Covid19: Support and Chat

Comments

• But how did you know it was there? It's a secret isn't it? :hmm:
  • fellow WHU606ers need some advice

Pre-requisite to the below !

-checked government website (FCO advise against all non essential travel)
    -checked money super market (Apparently with above in mind this triggers insurance policies)
    -checked my travel insurance policy (Apparently i am covered ? sort of maybe)
    -checked airline website (Flight is still technically going ahead and is scheduled to go ahead?)

Problem !

We were supposed to go to Thailand for 3 weeks a week from tomorrow. Obviously with the new announcement this is now probably not happening.

1) Even though we are not going but i assume if you did go, your travel insurance would be void with the FCO advising against all but non essential travel to anywhere in the world.

2) We put all money for air travel tickets on one persons card for the external flights to Thailand and back to the UK, we then put all the money for air travel tickets on another persons card for all internal flights ? so unsure if i as an individual can claim or make a claim for insurance when the tickets were done through someone else. Also if i can't make a claim and its down to the one person who did buy all the tickets, is it per ticket ? or per person ? because if its per person only he would be able to claim back his ticket which seems absurd as the rest of us would be out of pocket?

any help appreciated !
  • I do not think you can claim compensation personally as the monies were paid by someone else - that individual has to submit the claim.

You had better check with your provider directly but I think you are correct that traveling in the face of official advice would void the policy
  • So, pubs and clubs to be avoided, no sport on TV, anyone else predicting a baby boom at the end of the year?

:hmm:

school boy error on lockdown as son has a cough, no booze in house, and my wife worries about running out of eggs :whome:

How many are you planning?
  • You need to the person who booked to check they have to make the claim . Some policies will only pay out for the person who booked it tickets and not the others
  • but is it per ticket or per person ? i.e if he got 5 tickets at 400 pound a pop for 2000
    would his claim only cover his 400 pound as an individual or all 2000 for the tickets he purchased ?
  • edited March 2020
    It's 40 years since I worked for the Pru but I'm pretty certain that travel insurance requires a list of who is covered by the policy.

If whoever took out the policy listed everyone in the party then everyone is covered regardless of who paid what but if they just took out insurance for themselves then they can only claim for themselves.

I believe the claim has to be made by whoever took out the policy, similarly any pay out will be made to them and you'll have to sort out who gets what afterwards.
  • damn we all got separate insurance cover :doh:
  • so we are going to be down x amount brilliant
  • But won't you get the refund from the airline direct? If they sell you a ticket and cannot honour it I'm sure they have to refund. And the purchaser should get the refund for all tickets. No different if it were a family group.
  • edited March 2020
    but the airline is still going ahead with the scheduled flight,(Thai Airways) but with the FCO putting out all but essential travel to the rest of the world, essentially voiding my travel insurance anyway if we were to go out there.....
  • Most airlines are offering refunds or allowing a date change. Check with the airline.
  • Thai air are offering a reschedule before 20th Dec but no refund, and we cannot reschedule before 20th Dec as not everyone can get the commitment to time off later on down the year.
  • YeOld

isn't theFCO simply advisory?
  • since the FCO have declared all but essential travel worldwide any insurance essentially is voided.
  • Check Thailand's entry requirements. At the moment no restrictions but looking like they may be upgraded soon to limit UK arrivals.

Another thing- I recall seeing earlier today that in evidence to the Health select ctte somebody ( ?Raab) seemed pretty confident that the govt policy would be sufficient to trigger insurance cover. I'll see if I can find what he said.

Third thing - insurance companies will do everything possible to avoid paying out. They try to fob you off in the hope that you will give up. Don't give up, escalate!
  • edited March 2020
    Cheers Mrs Grey, i will not give up because its a lot of money but i have no idea where i stand as to whether i can even make a claim as there is no physical transaction of money from me to an airline ? its from me to my friend who then brought all the tickets.

Even though Thailand is still welcoming arrivals (at current) going there in a middle of a pandemic with insurance that would deemed invalid due to FCO advice would feel pretty scary.
  • Yeold, scary indeed. Particularly as during the session today, the govt minister pretty much said ' if you go, you're on your own'.
  • Try Martin Lewis's site, money saving expert. Good consumer stuff there and often has downloadable complaint forms, and stuff on how to get things to the ombudsman. ( I don't actually know if there is a travel ombudsman, but you get the Idea).

• Boris mentioned in todays briefing that they had been in discussion with the Insurance industry and they had resolved stuff but not sure what stuff.

Also Yeold, if paid by credit card check with them as the payments have some protection.
  • 4) The Foreign Office now advises against all but essential travel ANYWHERE outside UK - the key trigger for travel insurance. This has just happened - it's initially for 30 days, though of course it may be extended. It means if you do have a trip booked in that time with most travel insurers (sadly not all) you are usually due a refund even if flights/hotels are still on. See our Coronavirus travel rights guide for more

From Martin Lewis
  • damn we all got separate insurance cover :doh:

That's okay, you all claim separately then pay whoever paid for the flights.
  • Good luck with that. I hope a sensible approach is taken.

I’m now officially working from home, Ian has a new and persistent caught so is also at home.

Have organised a routine so I don’t turn into a teenager and spend all day in bed playing Sims On my iPad!

My commute was excellent, having had breakfast, I just walked to the spare room.

Hope you are all keeping well.
  • Same as. I'm wfh from home also. Although the temporary system they have put in place isn't working so IT are trying to fix it for all of us. I'm already getting annoyed by the sound of the washing machine and I wish the cat would make up it's mind on if he wants to stay in or out. I'm also struggling to keep my eyes off the fridge and treat cupboard.
  • edited March 2020

Good luck with that. I hope a sensible approach is taken.

I’m now officially working from home, Ian has a new and persistent caught so is also at home.

Have organised a routine so I don’t turn into a teenager and spend all day in bed playing Sims On my iPad!

My commute was excellent, having had breakfast, I just walked to the spare room.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Hamstew said:

Same as. I'm wfh from home also. Although the temporary system they have put in place isn't working so IT are trying to fix it for all of us. I'm already getting annoyed by the sound of the washing machine and I wish the cat would make up it's mind on if he wants to stay in or out. I'm also struggling to keep my eyes off the fridge and treat cupboard.

Doesn't sound like a lot of 'working' is happening.

Back to it, you two...
  • I’m in the vulnerable at risk group having to keep social distance and likely to be in lockdown for 3 months soon. Yesterday I went to B&Q to get some paint as my wife has suggested I use the time productively and it was very busy with all people in the same boat. I’ve never seen so much decorating materials bought at the same time.
    I think somehow all wives have had a kind of mind mesh and intuitively decided their husbands are not going to waste this 12 week or so “opportunity”.
  • Yep. :biggrin:

I’m planning to paint the bedroom and tidy up the garden.
  • I am also working from home, alarm no longer set for 5:45 , waking up at 8 and starting work as same time as when I commute